The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Buying a repaired car (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313352)

Ian G 5th June 2021 16:51

Buying a repaired car

Hi Folks
Does anyone know if a vehicle that has been declared a total loss and then repaired has much effect on insurance for said vehicle? Vehicle in question has only had a couple of body panels replaced.

snowman 5th June 2021 18:38

As I understand it they will charge you the same to insure it but if you make a claim they will only pay you out scrap value alright if you intend to keep the car and run into the ground I found this out once when I went to look at a car private sale when I hpi it it came back as a total loss and only worth scrap money at the time they said about 450.00p not the 3000.00p he wanted the car looked great and full mot as well I stand to be corrected but that's what I was told
Regards Paul

cossie dunc 5th June 2021 19:43

In my experience,it totally depends on the insurance company, some won’t even touch a category car, others have no problem at all insuring them. Exactly the same if you make a claim, some won’t pay full value, some will. I’ve never heard of any only offering only scrap value though

Typhoon190 5th June 2021 19:48

:wot:

Hastings wrote off my ZT-T then refused to continue insuring it. Very helpful ( not) when the claim takes months to settle and you have to find another insurance company who then 'have' to charge you a fortune due to the fact the claim is still unsettled.

It ended up being cheaper for me to buy another car and continue the policy with Hastings for the rest of the term. :shrug:

Not with them now though. ;)

SCP440 5th June 2021 21:11

As has been said some insurance companies dont like them, I had an Omega a few years ago that was a previous write off, two companies refused to insure it and the one that did valued it at 60% of its full value but I was paying a full premium.

I would suggest unless the vehicle is a bargain you avoid unless you are happy to get next to nothing for it if the worse does happen, I was lucky a friend needed an Estate and was happy to take it off my hands.

I was looking at a Mustang recently that had been previously written off, the work had been done to a good standard but I was struggling to get an insurance company to insure it even for a lesser amount.

Ian G 5th June 2021 22:06

Thanks for the very helpful replies everyone it has reinforced my thoughts that they are best left alone unless you want to build a race or track day car and I'm far too old for that kind if thing😁😁

Georgies Dad 6th June 2021 05:36

Lots of our cars have been Cat C or D,they are still going,they get wrtten off for very mnor scrapes etc.

My tourer was Cat D,had it for 6 years no insurance issue,sold it on and its still going strong.

Bear in mind when you sell a Cat D you have to declare it on the sales pitch?Advert.

Cat D are not even listed on the log book

picky747 6th June 2021 07:02

Insurance companies are a bit cheeky, they release these vehicles back on the market to recoup some of their outlay and then refuse to insure them.

wullie480 6th June 2021 07:06

Buying a repaired car

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgies Dad (Post 2884979)
Lots of our cars have been Cat C,they are still going,they get wrtten off for very mnor scrapes etc.

My tourer was Cat C,had it for 6 years no insurance issue,sold it on and its still going strong.

Bear in mind when you sell a Cat C you have to declare it on the sales pitch?Advert.

Cat C are not even listed on the log book

Cat C and Cat S are listed on the log book (V5) in the notes at the bottom of the front page. Cat D and Cat N aren’t on the logbook.
I’ve never had an issue insuring a damage repaired car I’ve had a few over the years I even wrote one off after running it for 2.5 years and still got back almost double what I paid for it including repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saga Lout 7th June 2021 14:21

Not now.

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wullie480 (Post 2884986)
Cat C and Cat S are listed on the log book (V5) in the notes at the bottom of the front page. Cat D and Cat N aren’t on the logbook.
I’ve never had an issue insuring a damage repaired car I’ve had a few over the years I even wrote one off after running it for 2.5 years and still got back almost double what I paid for it including repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cat C and D was replaced a few years ago with a cat S, it stands for structurally damaged. My old Punto was fire damaged when I got it and was a cat C back then, I don't know what it would classify as now. My Cortina 2000E was a COD and slipped through the destruction net back in 1996, the car is going to be worth a small fortune soon and, no matter what it would say on the document it would sell to a person that desires it. I think it all depends on the job done with the repairs, a bad job can leave a car worthless. The Punto I had for nine years, the Cortina is staying with me until the end, the elderly couple were the Willcocks from Epworth near Doncaster, he was driving the car when it was hit, the picture was taken two years after the bump, he believed it to have been crushed but it had slipped through the net. The point being made is that a car with classic status will always be rising in value.