The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cambelt 1.8 Rover 75 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=287833)

DRWMGTF 6th September 2018 07:40

Cambelt 1.8 Rover 75

Good morning,
I need to replace the cambelt on my 1.8 Rover 75.
What make of cambelt would you recommend and where is the best place to buy a timing belt kit.
Could anyone recommend someone in the North East/North Yorkshire who would be able to fit it
Thanks for your help.
Regards David Winter

marinabrian 6th September 2018 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRWMGTF (Post 2666801)
Good morning,
What make of cambelt would you recommend and where is the best place to buy a timing belt kit.
Could anyone recommend someone in the North East/North Yorkshire who would be able to fit it
Thanks for your help.
Regards David Winter

Turbo Dave in Fencehouses, and a Gates kit will do the job nicely, in fact I'm sure Dave could source the parts for you just as easily, save you messing around ;)

Brian :D

DRWMGTF 6th September 2018 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2666803)
Turbo Dave in Fencehouses, and a Gates kit will do the job nicely, in fact I'm sure Dave could source the parts for you just as easily, save you messing around ;)

Thanks Brian.
As regards the water pump would you recommend a plastic or metal propeller and apart from the cam belt am I correct in thinking there is an auxiliary belt which I should have changed at the same time?
Regards David

marinabrian 6th September 2018 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRWMGTF (Post 2666852)
Thanks Brian.
As regards the water pump would you recommend a plastic or metal propeller and apart from the cam belt am I correct in thinking there is an auxiliary belt which I should have changed at the same time?
Regards David

Unless the water pump is leaking, I wouldn't change it David ;)

The part in question is a PEB102511, however the original variants are smooth bodied castings and have a shaped o ring for sealing to the block.

In any case, the original pump impeller is stainless steel ;)

Avoid the above part number if suffixed by P or SLP (pattern and service line part)

And yes you may as well have the PAS belt and alternator belt done at the same time, as this won't increase the labour charges.

NigelOBB 6th September 2018 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2666886)
Unless the water pump is leaking, I wouldn't change it David ;)

The part in question is a PEB102511, however the original variants are smooth bodied castings and have a shaped o ring for sealing to the block.

In any case, the original pump impeller is stainless steel ;)

Avoid the above part number if suffixed by P or SLP (pattern and service line part)

And yes you may as well have the PAS belt and alternator belt done at the same time, as this won't increase the labour charges.

As Brian said, Dave is spot on..
you can trust him to.

If your not sure if the head gaskets ever been done it’s not much more to have that changed at same time. I learnt that lesson with my TF money pit, just recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fusilier 6th September 2018 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRWMGTF (Post 2666801)
Good morning,
Thanks for your help.
Regards David Winter

David

As mentioned Turbo Dave (Dave Johnson) is your man, best MG Rover Mechanic in the North east, been using Dave for around 15 years and never had any complaint

He will be doing my XF next week

Stu

DRWMGTF 6th September 2018 13:26

Brian, Nigel, Stu thank you for the advice.

Fusilier 6th September 2018 13:30

Turbo Dave

and he is based on the industrial estate here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.8485...7i13312!8i6656

to the right and second unit on right

Stu

BoroRover 6th September 2018 18:29

I replaced the head gasket at 90k, when the water pump was renewed. Belts not changed, ( I was told they were fine), not long after, I had a belt shred.
Moral of the story....do the belts too.

P.S. I did ask them to replace the belts when doing the above, but they had boxed everything up and the car was ready to drive away....so I did....mistake !':duh::duh:

suzublu 6th September 2018 19:57

David, if you want to meet somewhere & I can take you to Dave's place if that helps:shrug: