The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Removing the cooling fan blades (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=159526)

Rover 75 2.0 CDTi 22nd September 2013 21:19

Removing the cooling fan blades

Hi again,

So my cooling fan blade has become detached from the motor... again. This is the second time it's happened but I can't bring myself to take it back to the same local garage to get all the same rubbish from them.

Looking up the mechanism, I reckon if I take the front bumper off I'll be able to reattach it easily. Looks like it just twists onto some lugs.

Has anyone else had this problem repeatedly? Also, is it possible to remove the blades without taking off that metal bar in front of the fan? If possible, I'd take the current one off and replace it with one from the local scrapyard.

Cheers, Jake

suffolk boy 22nd September 2013 21:26

bumper off. slam panel off.fan housing off.sounds daunting but there is a how to on here.i did it .maybe just the center nut is not tight you need a slim socket to do it. my mates actually fell off:mad:

lovema75 22nd September 2013 21:35

The metal bar in front is the crash bar, and only held on by 4 or 6 bolts.:)

rich17865 22nd September 2013 21:49

It might be worth sourcing a replacement set of blades, when the motor spins it should only make the blades tighter as the motor turns the way needed to lock the blades into place.

T-Cut 22nd September 2013 23:06

To secure the three clips on the fan blade centre, you have to stop the motor drive flange from turning. To do that, the centre of the flange has a hexagon 'nut'. To hold the 'nut' you require a thin walled socket that will pass through the hole in the centre of the fan boss.
Used fans suffer heat embrittlement over time and it's quite common for one or more of the clips/lugs to snap off or become sloppy. If that happens the blade unit won't be held properly. One fix is to drill a couple of holes through the boss and motor flange and insert self tapping screws. New blade units are available separately.

TC

Arctic 22nd September 2013 23:37

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover 75 2.0 CDTi (Post 1427672)
Hi again,

So my cooling fan blade has become detached from the motor... again. This is the second time it's happened but I can't bring myself to take it back to the same local garage to get all the same rubbish from them.

Looking up the mechanism, I reckon if I take the front bumper off I'll be able to reattach it easily. Looks like it just twists onto some lugs.

Has anyone else had this problem repeatedly? Also, is it possible to remove the blades without taking off that metal bar in front of the fan? If possible, I'd take the current one off and replace it with one from the local scrapyard.

Cheers, Jake

Hi Jake.
I had a member at our place 10 days or so ago, same problem his fan blade had detached it's self from the fan motor so he/we thought until we took the bumper off, once off we found some one had also botched his fan to make it run buy removing the control box and wiring it up to the battery neg and a positive somewhere with in the car? anyway thats another story.

Yes bumper off followed by crash bar off then use a socket slim enough to fit onto the fan nut and also so you can guide the fan blade over the socket to twist it back on, you may decide to source another blade or if you use the one you already have drill and grub screw it in place.

by the way the fan blade is released by turning clockwise the same way the fan runs, and to re-attach anti-cloclwise as below.
http://youtu.be/v422cKkvFAk

photo's below only as a guide line for you but you will need to hold the still while you turn the blade anti-clockwise to to attach it back onto the lugs cheers Arctic ;)

Rover 75 2.0 CDTi 23rd September 2013 10:52

Thanks guys. As always, this forum is really helpful.

So there are four bolts in total on the crash bar? I've just bought replacement fan blades from rimmerbros and I'll fit it this weekend.

Cheers

bramblp 23rd September 2013 11:02

Apply some silicone sealent or similar product to the lugs, this will prevent the blade from falling of again or at least it worked for me 1 year and counting

Arctic 23rd September 2013 11:32

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover 75 2.0 CDTi (Post 1428013)
Thanks guys. As always, this forum is really helpful.

So there are four bolts in total on the crash bar? I've just bought replacement fan blades from rimmerbros and I'll fit it this weekend.

Cheers

To remove the crash bar alone as a unit 8 x 13mm bolts and 2 x 13mm nuts you will then need i thin k it is 16mm socket but i can check this out later today if you so wish, also when you have the fan blade back in postion do the demist test to see if fan is working as it should, if a silver resistor is present you may want to think of changing now save taking the bumper off again in the near future should this fail cheers Arctic.;)

chris75 23rd September 2013 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover 75 2.0 CDTi (Post 1428013)
I've just bought replacement fan blades from rimmerbros and I'll fit it this weekend.

Cheers

I think you are right to have new blades :} Once the blades have been removed from the motor the lugs are sheared and damaged and will never be as secure again :(
I used an old -fashioned box spanner to hold the centre nut whist turning the blades to fit on the hub .