The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Photography Corner (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Macro photography (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=269859)

Phil 2nd July 2017 11:01

Macro photography

Hi, currently, I am using a Tamron 18-200 lens for all my photography, having results I am pleased with.
However, wanting more, I'm considering getting a macro lens, as I'm getting quite inspired by all the bug shots!!

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about carrying loads of lenses about or changing lenses over, so was wondering, would a lens such as this one be any good for what I want?
Good zoom and close up detail??

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras...24555-pdt.html

Otherwise, does anyone have any recommendations?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm still learning!

Rocket 2nd July 2017 11:26

I reckon that one may be OK for butterflies and whole flower shots but you will not be able to get really close up head shots of bees etc. Depends what what you want to do really.

Most people start off wanting to see the pimples on bee's nose:}

That lens would get you started. You could buy extension tubes for not a lot of money - that would mean you could shoot even closer.

Edit: This guy really understands bug shooting in the wild - which is different to indoor macro shooting of small objects. Worth a read and he has the answers to just about every question. He mentions zoom lenses with a macro setting a little way down. ON THE HARDWARE BASICS MENU

http://macroshooting.com/Macro_Flash_Brackets.htm

Phil 2nd July 2017 12:18

Thanks for the information.

I want to get as much detail as possible, capturing the whole insect so perhaps that one should be given a miss.
I will check the link out when I get home.

Can you recommend a decent macro lens, or point me in the right direction? Budget around £300...

Canonite 3rd July 2017 09:04

I personally wouldn't waste your money on another 18-200mm lens. The Sigma is a decent walkabout lens, I used to have one where the 'macro' was at the telephoto end, and not true macro. Also the 200mm end of the lens is f6.3 so you'll struggle to get a fast enough shot while handholding, even with IS/OS/VR/VC lenses.

My first macro lens was a Tamron 90mm with proper 1:1 ratio macro, so you can get really up close and personal. I'd be looking at the Sigma 105 f2.8 macro which can be had for around £250 from MPB (get all my second hand kit from them).

Canonite 3rd July 2017 09:08

As an addition to that, when Iused to shoot macros on my bridge cameras namely the Canon SX series from about 5yrs ago I used to use a macro lens attachment.
The Raynox DCR-250 is about £50 from Amazon and allows really close manual focussing and can be clipped onto the front of any lens with upto a 58mm thread. That said, I used it on my 17-85mm with 67mm thread and just taped it in place. The vignetting didn't bother me as most macros get cropped in anyway.

Might be another option for you before spending out on very specific use lenses ;)

Phil 3rd July 2017 17:38

Thank you very much!

Really stupid question perhaps...
I have seen a few lenses reportedly macro.. They say 60mm, 90mm, 105mm...
Is it correct to say that a true macro lens for photographing bugs etc has no zoom and is of fixed length?

If so, how close to these things does one need to be?

Rocket 3rd July 2017 18:39

In general the larger the mm number the further you can get from the insect and maintain the same size image. It is the same as using your zoom lens. Set your zoom to say 100mm and fill the frame with an object, then set the zoom to say 200mm. You will have to walk backwards until the object will fit in the frame again.

So 90mm you can stand further away than 30mm.

And yes, most macro lenses are a fixed focal length.

I'd say 30mm is to short a focal length for insects - you have to get so close they fly off.

90 or 100mm is a good bet

I sometimes use an extension tube with a 55-210 zoom lens to enable me to get shots higher up in bushes. You can shoot a butterfly a few metres away like that.

Phil 3rd July 2017 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2513485)
In general the larger the mm number the further you can get from the insect and maintain the same size image. It is the same as using your zoom lens. Set your zoom to say 100mm and fill the frame with an object, then set the zoom to say 200mm. You will have to walk backwards until the object will fit in the frame again.

So 90mm you can stand further away than 30mm.

And yes, most macro lenses are a fixed focal length.

Great, thanks a lot. This is very helpful.
Sorry for the novice questions.
Now I feel a bit more confident in making a purchase...

Now for me to decide for definite, macro lens next or more powerful zoom.....
:shrug:

Phil 3rd July 2017 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2513485)

I'd say 30mm is to short a focal length for insects - you have to get so close they fly off.

90 or 100mm is a good bet

I sometimes use an extension tube with a 55-210 zoom lens to enable me to get shots higher up in bushes. You can shoot a butterfly a few metres away like that.

OK, thanks.
So with your extension tube at that distance do you still capture the fine detail?

Rocket 3rd July 2017 18:54

It will depend on a few things regarding the quality of lens and camera and getting all the conditions right but it is possible. It is not the best solution but if the insect is up high it is the only way. I hope to get a better quality 70-210 later this year and I am eager to try that with an extension tube.

Here is one shot at 186mm

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3767/...b183c193_c.jpg
Painted Lady by
Paul Stickley, on Flickr

Rocket 3rd July 2017 19:01

It will also depend on your cameras ability to auto focus with an extension tube at that distance - I cannot say how it would perform. You can of course focus manually but that may not be easy either with a DSLR.

See how much sharper the images get when I use the 60mm. The shots taken when I use this lens are usually 1-2 feet away which is quite nice distance for insects. Not to close - not to far.

You could always get some cheap tubes and have a play using your zoom lens. I think the results will not be great but you can get a feel for it.

The next step would be a macro lens of 90-100 mm

Having said that I remember using my 12mp DSLR with a 90mm macro lens. The auto focus was so slow I had to use manual focus. That made shooting slow an focusing difficult. It so much easier with my new camera and with the addition of flash.

This sort of photography is quite tricky and you get a lot of dud shots but I get a lot less than I used to.:}

Shot with the 60mm
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4241/...697de898_c.jpg
Bumblebee on Buddleia by Paul Stickley, on Flickr

Phil 3rd July 2017 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2513496)
It will depend on a few things regarding the quality of lens and camera and getting all the conditions right but it is possible. It is not the best solution but if the insect is up high it is the only way. I hope to get a better quality 70-210 later this year and I am eager to try that with an extension tube.

Here is one shot at 186mm

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3767/...b183c193_c.jpg
Painted Lady by
Paul Stickley, on Flickr

Wow, very nice!!

Phil 3rd July 2017 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2513507)
It will also depend on your cameras ability to auto focus with an extension tube at that distance - I cannot say how it would perform. You can of course focus manually but that may not be easy either with a DSLR.

See how much sharper the images get when I use the 60mm. The shots taken when I use this lens are usually 1-2 feet away which is quite nice distance for insects. Not to close - not to far.

You could always get some cheap tubes and have a play using your zoom lens. I think the results will not be great but you can get a feel for it.

The next step would be a macro lens of 90-100 mm

Having said that I remember using my 12mp DSLR with a 90mm macro lens. The auto focus was so slow I had to use manual focus. That made shooting slow an focusing difficult. It so much easier with my new camera and with the addition of flash.

This sort of photography is quite tricky and you get a lot of dud shots but I get a lot less than I used to.:}

Shot with the 60mm
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4241/...697de898_c.jpg
Bumblebee on Buddleia by Paul Stickley, on Flickr

Oh wow!!
How far from the bee were you for that one?? That is astonishing and just what I want to achieve!

Rocket 3rd July 2017 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2513547)
Oh wow!!
How far from the bee were you for that one?? That is astonishing and just what I want to achieve!

1- 2 feet

It is cropped so a camera with higher MP count is good, mine is 24mp which is becoming the norm.

You need a really sharp lens - those long zooms will never be that sharp.

You will need a great sensor - mine is pretty good.

Then you need to nail focus and expose correctly - I use flash and have really fast and accurate auto focus

I do a lot of post processing with Lightroom.

Here is an old one I took with my 12 mp DSLR a few years back. I used a 90mm macro lens.

You can see it does not have the same sharpness as the one above.

I used to average say 1 in 50 good ones with my DSLR but these days maybe 1 in 10. When I first started I could shoot for hours and not get a good one lol.

I would just add that this is for insect shooting. If you want to do maros of an object like a coin indoors you can use a tripod, do long exposures, get as close as you like etc etc. It is a different ball game.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1712/...6935b6c3_c.jpg
Small tortoiseshell by Paul Stickley, on Flickr

Here is another with the 12 MP DSLR and 90mm macro lens. Again, it is not bad but not as good as I can get with my newer/better gear.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1691/...fc25c292_c.jpg
Bee by Paul Stickley, on Flickr

Phil 3rd July 2017 21:28

Excellent photo's again.

You raise a very good point..

Maybe I won't be able to get the results I want no matter what the lens is....
I have a Canon 700D.

I have seen a couple of lenses for sale I'm interested in.. I will have to give it some thought.
SIGMA 105MM F2.8 EX DG OS MACRO - CANON FIT
TOKINA AT-X 100MM F2.8 PRO MACRO - CANON
CANON EF 100 mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens
Any opinions on any of the above? They all look a much the same thing to me, just a different brand.

Rocket 3rd July 2017 22:01

A quick look on DXO says the Canon is a bit sharper than the Sigma on a 700D

The Tokina was not tested on the 700D

I think with that lens and camera it should be able to get sharper images than my old DSLR with tamron 90mm macro but not as good as my Newer mirrorless camera with 60mm plus extension tube. This takes no account of autofocus etc - just the sensor with lens combination.

Phil 3rd July 2017 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2513619)
A quick look on DXO says the Canon is a bit sharper than the Sigma on a 700D

The Tokina was not tested on the 700D

Ok, sounds like the Canon is the one to get..
Were there any example photos on the site you checked?
I'd be interested to take a look.

Rocket 3rd July 2017 22:17

No, but just google the lens I am sure many will have reviewed it.:}

I would add I know nothing about Canon cameras. !!!!!

coolcat 5th July 2017 09:57

Hi Phil,

Not sure if you can view this if not a member but I'll post it anyway.

https://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/s...357#post389357

Might be worth a look :}

Phil 5th July 2017 19:28

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the link, it won't open unfortunately.
What is it?

coolcat 5th July 2017 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2514331)
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the link, it won't open unfortunately.
What is it?

It's a chap selling a Canon 100mm macro lens in the classified section of the Canon EOS forum.

Copy and paste of the description :}

EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro Lens.
Unmarked and has had very little use - I doubt it has taken 50 shots. Lens and glass absolutely unmarked. Genuine reason for moving it on - for a significant occasion I was gifted the L version of this lens by someone who did not know I already had a 100mm Macro.
This is the second version of the lens (not the L version with IS), costing over £400 pound new. Comes complete with its ET67 lens hood, caps at both ends, instruction manual and the original box.

Looking for £220 ono.
Drop me a p.m. if interested.
Chris.

Ravinder 6th July 2017 13:01

This is the lens that I have and I cannot fault it, even close ups. It's very sharp and has amazing reviews and very well built.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ibn/Sigma...on+dslr+camera

Phil 7th July 2017 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2514332)
It's a chap selling a Canon 100mm macro lens in the classified section of the Canon EOS forum.

Copy and paste of the description :}

EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro Lens.
Unmarked and has had very little use - I doubt it has taken 50 shots. Lens and glass absolutely unmarked. Genuine reason for moving it on - for a significant occasion I was gifted the L version of this lens by someone who did not know I already had a 100mm Macro.
This is the second version of the lens (not the L version with IS), costing over £400 pound new. Comes complete with its ET67 lens hood, caps at both ends, instruction manual and the original box.

Looking for £220 ono.
Drop me a p.m. if interested.
Chris.

Thanks Jeff.
I am still undecided as to whether a 100mm lens is going to give me the results I want. I am concerned that to get lose enough I am going to scare whatever it is away that I'm trying to photograph.
Ideally I would like to try a 200mm macro lens, but I cannot afford or justify £1000+ on a lens!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravinder (Post 2514617)
This is the lens that I have and I cannot fault it, even close ups. It's very sharp and has amazing reviews and very well built.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ibn/Sigma...on+dslr+camera

That looks good. Do you have any photos you have taken with it that you could share?

coolcat 8th July 2017 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2515331)
Thanks Jeff.
I am still undecided as to whether a 100mm lens is going to give me the results I want. I am concerned that to get lose enough I am going to scare whatever it is away that I'm trying to photograph.
Ideally I would like to try a 200mm macro lens, but I cannot afford or justify £1000+ on a lens!

Well,

To give you an idea, these were taken with my Canon 100mm 2.8L i.s the week before last...........they didn't fly off ;)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4163/...e7a6b3bb_b.jpgCC9J3991 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4207/...ded1ca07_b.jpgThe Fly by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Phil 8th July 2017 07:34

Woo.
They are good shots.
How far away were you from them?

coolcat 8th July 2017 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2515407)
Woo.
They are good shots.
How far away were you from them?

Inches :eek:

Phil 8th July 2017 10:17

I'm hoping to go to London Camera exchange today, if I'm allowed and SWMBO ever finishes washing her hair...
They have a few used macro lenses in stock so maybe they will let me try them out in store before I buy...

I did buy a new lens earlier this week as it was dirt cheap and had excellent reviews from what I'd seen.
I have taken a few shots with it and overall I'm quite pleased. The bonus being I don't have to get too close...
Sigma 70 - 300 with a "macro mode" giving a 1:2 macro function. Ok, not true macro but it gives me a taste and a longer zoom for moon shots.

I will post some pictures taken with it..

Phil 8th July 2017 10:23

1 Attachment(s)
This was taken with my new Sigma 70-300mm zoom lens set to macro, from about a metre away...
I was quite shocked at how this came out...

I know it's not a proper macro lens, but for the cost I had to try it.
This was handheld with no tripod and no image stabilisation!

Rocket 8th July 2017 10:39

That looks pretty good for such a general purpose lens.

I had a quick look and it does quite well for sharpness, particularly near the center which is good for macro work (and moon). It seems sharpest at f8 which is not a bad aperture for insect shots.

I always shoot at f11 for insects but my flash makes that possible.

Go hunt those bugs:}

coolcat 8th July 2017 10:40

I might add,

I have a very nice Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and matching Sigma 1.4 teleconvertor for sale if you are interested ;)

Phil 8th July 2017 10:58

Thanks guys.

I have been shooting at the biggest aperture possible to reduce shutter speed for bugs with ISO set to 400.
I will try reducing the aperture a bit and see how I get on.

Still thinking about getting a proper macro lens and now SWMBO has finished washing her hair my chances are increased..

I will have a read up about that lens, what is it best suited to and how much do you want for it?

coolcat 8th July 2017 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2515499)
Thanks guys.

I have been shooting at the biggest aperture possible to reduce shutter speed for bugs with ISO set to 400.

Still thinking about getting a proper macro lens and now SWMBO has finished washing her hair my chances are increased..

I will have a read up about that lens, what is it best suited to and how much do you want for it?

It's a constant fast aperture of F2.8 so has the benefit of letting lots of light in and super smooth diffused soft bokeh.
Used in conjunction with the telecovertor it will give 280mm of reach at F4.
So a pretty fast telephoto lens.
I used it for anything from motorsport to portraiture :}

Only selling as I now have the Canon image stabilised version .

I would be looking for £200 for the lens and teleconvertor :}

Rocket 8th July 2017 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2515499)
Thanks guys.

For insects.
If you shoot at wide aperture you will reduce the depth of field. So you can end up with only a small part of the insect in focus. With no flash it is always a bit of a balancing act.

With no flash best option is on a really bright sunny day f8 shutter 1/200 and ISO no higher than 400 but start at 100
That is a good starting point and you can adjust from there.

You can of course open the aperture and have a very shallow depth of field if that is the look you want.

Another option is to stand back further and then crop the image. This will give more of the insect in focus.

coolcat 8th July 2017 11:57

A couple of photos ;)

The lens with my old camera and me attached to it at Brands Hatch.

Photo courtesy of Phil (Gatekeeper):bowdown:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1532/...165c0227_b.jpgDoing what I do best lol by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

A few shots taken with the lens:}

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1549/...cfd157a2_b.jpgIMG_3471 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1657/...f93310d2_b.jpg20140330_110129320_iOS by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

This one taken with the teleconverter attached ;)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1450/...36ef14d0_b.jpgCubby by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Phil 8th July 2017 23:02

Thanks Jeff.

I'll give it some thought.

I'm interested because I love photographing my dogs.
I have a rescued Greyhound who loves to run when he can. This lens might be perfect to capture that.

Phil 8th July 2017 23:17

Ok, I have been out today with my new, cheap lens (Sigma 70-300 "macro" lens.)
For what it cost, I'm really impressed. I think it's given me a great insight into what is possible and pushed me into honing my photography with this lens before finally migrating into something better...
Anyway, please, honest feedback gratefully received...
What do you think??

So, here are my recent results...
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...IMG_6915-1.jpg
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...g/IMG_6988.jpg
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...g/IMG_6925.jpg
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...g/IMG_6975.jpg
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...g/IMG_6989.jpg
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...pthedog/-1.jpg
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...g/IMG_6879.jpg
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...g/IMG_6809.jpg

coolcat 9th July 2017 05:56

Nice set Phil, first one is my favourite of them :bowdown:
Do you do any editing of your images or are they straight out of the camera ?

Rocket 9th July 2017 07:01

They are pretty good. I think you are doing everything about right. Your lens is not going to be razor sharp but it seems to be doing pretty well.

Did you use flash or is that bright sunlight?

Phil 9th July 2017 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2515778)
Nice set Phil, first one is my favourite of them :bowdown:
Do you do any editing of your images or are they straight out of the camera ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2515792)
They are pretty good. I think you are doing everything about right. Your lens is not going to be razor sharp but it seems to be doing pretty well.

Did you use flash or is that bright sunlight?

Thanks guys.
I'm really enjoying it.

Yes, I do edit my pictures. I use photoshop camera raw editor.
Sadly the images look a little flat straight off the camera.
I always shoot in manual mode.

Do they look overdone editing wise?

I didn't use a flash. Just relied on sunlight.

Funnily enough they looked a lot sharper before uploading to Photobucket..

Rocket 9th July 2017 10:50

Well I think with the gear you have that is pretty good.

You may find one in fiftyish is REALLY sharp it is just pot luck really.

Flash would improve things further - it effectively becomes your shutter and maybe around 1/10000 sec, even at full power they flash at 1/1000 sec.

With no flash it is best to shoot on really sunny days and get your shutter speed as high as possible whilst keeping your aperture at f8 or f11

With flash it is better on cloudy days - the flash can become the major source of light and fire for maybe 1/10,000 sec duration. A lot easier to freeze the action.

I am surprised photobucket is working - others have had problems. They may well down sample your images for uploading and hence the quality may look worse. Flickr is much better for storing pics, you can upload jpegs at full resolution.

Phil 9th July 2017 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2515844)
Well I think with the gear you have that is pretty good.

You may find one in fiftyish is REALLY sharp it is just pot luck really.

Flash would improve things further - it effectively becomes your shutter and maybe around 1/10000 sec, even at full power they flash at 1/1000 sec.

With no flash it is best to shoot on really sunny days and get your shutter speed as high as possible whilst keeping your aperture at f8 or f11

With flash it is better on cloudy days - the flash can become the major source of light and fire for maybe 1/10,000 sec duration. A lot easier to freeze the action.

I am surprised photobucket is working - others have had problems. They may well down sample your images for uploading and hence the quality may look worse. Flickr is much better for storing pics, you can upload jpegs at full resolution.

Thank you. It makes me very happy to hear that.

Are you talking about an external flash, or the built in one?

I had trouble logging into Photobucket as my virus scanner didn't like all the adverts.
I will look into Flickr later this evening when I'm not on my phone.

Rocket 9th July 2017 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2515851)
Thank you. It makes me very happy to hear that.

Are you talking about an external flash, or the built in one?

I had trouble logging into Photobucket as my virus scanner didn't like all the adverts.
I will look into Flickr later this evening when I'm not on my phone.

An internal one may get obscured by a large lens if you are focusing close. So external is better. TTL is great also. I just set my camera to 1/160 sec, f11, ISO 100, and the flash will auto adjust to get the correct exposure.

I get a problem on bright days because of to much ambient light.

When my camera is set up for insects, if I fired it with no flash the image would be very under exposed almost black at times. It is the flash that I want to do the exposing because of it's very short duration.

Flickr lets you create Albums also see here.https://www.flickr.com/photos/140647103@N08/albums
You can also view images full size like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/140647...66510/sizes/o/

I posted a pic of my insect hunting gear- hold on-

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4008/...e1739058_c.jpg
Sony A6000 with sigma 60mm, extension tube and flash
by Paul Stickley, on Flickr

Phil 9th July 2017 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2515855)
An internal one may get obscured by a large lens if you are focusing close. So external is better. TTL is great also. I just set my camera to 1/160 sec f11 ISO 100 and the flash will auto adjust to get the correct exposure.

I get a problem on bright days because of to much ambient light.

When my camera is set up for insects, if I fired it with no flash the image would be very under exposed almost black at times. It is the flash that I want to do the exposing because of it's very short duration.

Flickr lets you create Albums also see here.https://www.flickr.com/photos/140647103@N08/albums
You can also view images full size like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/140647...66510/sizes/o/

I posted a pic of my insect hunting gear- hold on-

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4008/...e1739058_c.jpg
Sony A6000 with sigma 60mm, extension tube and flash

That's very clever!
So you completely ignore the light meter and the flash takes care of everything else?
Could you use an even faster shutter speed, say 1/4000 sec and still get the correct exposure?

Phil 9th July 2017 11:53

Just checked out your links to Flickr. I'll be signing up this evening. ☺️

Excellent photos by the way.
The bird is just stunning.

Rocket 9th July 2017 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2515869)
That's very clever!
So you completely ignore the light meter and the flash takes care of everything else?
Could you use an even faster shutter speed, say 1/4000 sec and still get the correct exposure?

Indeed, when I am set up I do not have to change settings (or even think about it much) the flash just auto adjusts.

Most cameras have a maximum flash sync speed of around 1/200 sec. So going faster than that is not possible. (well it is if you use High Speed Sync but lets not get into that here. I have tried HSS for macro and it is not so good for a few reasons)

Bear in mind it is the short duration of the flash that freezes the action so the shutter speed becomes almost irrelevant (sort of)

Here are two pics. Straight out of camera shot on shady side of bush on a really sunny day.
First is taken at ISO 100, f11, 1/160 sec but with flash turned off
Second is the same but flash turned on.
As you can see the Mini Bonio Butterfly:} (about 40mm long) is exposed almost entirely by the flash. The flash duration was maybe faster than 1/5000 of a second. I have no way to find out exactly but it is a lot faster than I could set shutter speed with no flash. You also tend to get a more even exposure across the subject.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4233/...02413ef2_c.jpg
DSC08617.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4218/...889e5f32_c.jpg
DSC08618.jpg

Phil 9th July 2017 18:03

That's awesome.
Are these types of flash particularly expensive? I've seen a few Chinese ones on ebay, no idea if they are any good..
Do you have any recommendations?

Rocket 9th July 2017 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2515993)
That's awesome.
Are these types of flash particularly expensive? I've seen a few Chinese ones on ebay, no idea if they are any good..
Do you have any recommendations?

I have no real idea of Canon gear.
The cheaper ones tend not to be TTL so you have to set power manually.

You would need to search for E-TTL flash that works with your camera.

Edit: I had a quick look, Here is a cheapy Yongnuo. Yongnuo are good for the price flashes. I have no idea how this would work with your camera but it seems to look like it should be ok. It gives you an idea of where to start. Ypou can of course spend hundreds of pounds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yongnuo-YN-...nuo+yn565ex+ii

Phil 9th July 2017 18:57

OK, thanks for the link. I've never heard of them.
Would a flash like that still work with a 300mm lens on close up work? - bearing in mind I will be nearly a meter away from what I'm photographing?

How about this by SIGMA?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272754268963
It seems cheap for what I perceive to be a decent manufacturer?

coolcat 9th July 2017 19:04

I have two Canon Speedlites....a 430ex which I've had since I bought my first Canon Dslr back in about 2007 and my main flash which is a 600ex-rt which is much larger but to be honest the smaller one is more than good enough for macro work.

I keep both as I use them as master and slave for portrait work and some of my cat photos where I use one on camera and one off camera flash to get the light I'm looking for.

To be honest though as Paul has said, so long as they are compatible with your camera and support ETTL, any flash gun should be fine for the job.

Of course, theres always ring flash guns if you start getting silly serious :D:eek:

coolcat 9th July 2017 19:37

If you do decide to plump for a macro lens in the future.....

The same lens that shot those bugs also shot these ;)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4218/...a584239b_b.jpghdr finished by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4206/...40a6310e_b.jpgEdit 3 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1536/...da6a1dbc_b.jpgIMG_5891 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

As you can see, they make really versatile prime lenses as well and are great for more than just close up photography :}

coolcat 9th July 2017 20:06

This is my camera with the 100mm Macro, lens, extension tube and 600ex rt flash attached.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4265/...156e6084_b.jpgIMG_5547 2 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Rocket 9th July 2017 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2516022)
OK, thanks for the link. I've never heard of them.
Would a flash like that still work with a 300mm lens on close up work? - bearing in mind I will be nearly a meter away from what I'm photographing?

How about this by SIGMA?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272754268963
It seems cheap for what I perceive to be a decent manufacturer?

The Sigma seems ok but do lots of research online before you buy just in case. As I said - I have never owned Canon gear.

It is a good point about focusing a metre away. The further away the subject the more light the flash will need to output. This means the flash duration is longer which is not what you want (flashes just stay on longer - they do not get brighter) I certainly get less consistant results the further the subject is from the camera.

I am hoping in the future to get a decent 70-200 and maybe this flash - lots of power and a short flash duration at the lower settings. (1/13,000 sec) There is a table in the link that shows how flash duration changes by altering the output of the flash.
Also at low power output the flash recharge is almost instant which will allow me to fire of a burst of shots.:}

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/01/han...-pocket-flash/

If you want a good laugh Google "macro flash" and select images

I'll point you at this website again. Read the "macro flash" section. It was interesting for me to see the maths and in fact for flash to work really well you don't really want to be more than 12 inches from the camera:eek:
Further away and your results go downhill.

Anyhow have a read in the "macro flash" section (in the left hand menu) http://macroshooting.com/Macro_Flash_Brackets.htm

coolcat 9th July 2017 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2516071)
The Sigma seems ok but do lots of research online before you buy just in case. As I said - I have never owned Canon gear.

It is a good point about focusing a metre away. The further away the subject the more light the flash will need to output. This means the flash duration is longer which is not what you want (flashes just stay on longer - they do not get brighter) I certainly get less consistant results the further the subject is from the camera.

I am hoping in the future to get a decent 70-200 and maybe this flash - lots of power and a short flash duration at the lower settings. (1/13,000 sec) There is a table in the link that shows how flash duration changes by altering the output of the flash.
Also at low power output the flash recharge is almost instant which will allow me to fire of a burst of shots.:}

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/01/han...-pocket-flash/

If you want a good laugh Google "macro flash" and select images

I'll point you at this website again. Read the "macro flash" section. It was interesting for me to see the maths and in fact for flash to work really well you don't really want to be more than 12 inches from the camera:eek:
Further away and your results go downhill.

Anyhow have a read in the "macro flash" section (in the left hand menu) http://macroshooting.com/Macro_Flash_Brackets.htm

What constantly amuses me is when you're watch big sporting events on T.V and you see all the flashguns going off in the stands hundreds of metres away from the action:duh::eek:
Still.....they'll light up the shiny bald head of the person sitting in the row in front of you :D;)

Phil 10th July 2017 22:36

I took this afternoon off work, much needed and went for a two hour walk with the camera and I had a play today with the built in flash.
I never knew that the built in flash had any intelligence whatsoever!
I was really pleased with the shots I managed today.

The only let down was the bright reflection from fly eyes.
(Any suggestions?)
Anyway, here are the fruits of my labour, complete with new Flickr account!!!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/150102739@N04/2589oB

I cannot work out how to link pictures to appear here from Flickr. Photobucket was easy, Flickr doesn't seem quite so...... Any pointers greatly appreciated!!

Canonite 11th July 2017 07:59

To reduce the harsh light of the flash, use a homemade diffuser to spread the light.
I use tracing paper a lot on my studio flash heads as this softens and spreads the light output to reduce the harshness.
Be over-generous too as light spill can wrap around the diffuser and cast shadows on the edges of your frame.

coolcat 11th July 2017 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2516564)
I took this afternoon off work, much needed and went for a two hour walk with the camera and I had a play today with the built in flash.

(Any suggestions?)

I cannot work out how to link pictures to appear here from Flickr. Photobucket was easy, Flickr doesn't seem quite so...... Any pointers greatly appreciated!!

Done a quick video for copying the images for you :}

https://youtu.be/mWvJzrM9dLE

P.s, I took the liberty of following you on Flickr ;)

Rocket 11th July 2017 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2516564)

(Any suggestions?)

They look great. I don't think you can do better than that. Looks like you are old hand at it.

One problem with on board flash is that it looks harsh. It is because it is so close to the camera and because the light source (flash head) is so small. some insects can be quite shiny also.

If we were photographing say a person the main flash would be to the side - off camera. It would also have an umbrella or softbox attached, this is to make the light source larger compared to the subject. So when photographing zippy insects it is difficult - there is no time to mess about. If you look at my set up you will see a diffuser on the flash,. This makes the flash head effectively larger compared the the subject. Also my flash is a little more overhead of the subject, both these things help.

The closer a light source is to the subject it will be brighter (obviously) and softer (less harsh and specular)

So it is tricky for an onboard flash. Although it may be better than no flash.

You could try dialing down the flash compensation a little. This would under expose a touch but you can adjust in photoshop afterwards.
Also in camera raw (photoshop) bring down the highlights - this can help.

Edit: You can also try altering your exposure metering to centre so as the insect is metered and not the entire image.

Did you get more consistent results using the Flash?

Watch from 57 sec for Flickr info :}

Rocket 11th July 2017 09:20

I see Jeff snuck in ahead of me:}

coolcat 11th July 2017 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2516664)
I see Jeff snuck in ahead of me:}

I snuck in a quick iPhone video before we opened at work lol:D

Phil 11th July 2017 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonite (Post 2516634)
To reduce the harsh light of the flash, use a homemade diffuser to spread the light.
I use tracing paper a lot on my studio flash heads as this softens and spreads the light output to reduce the harshness.
Be over-generous too as light spill can wrap around the diffuser and cast shadows on the edges of your frame.

Thanks for the tip, I will be sure to try it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2516636)
Done a quick video for copying the images for you :}

https://youtu.be/mWvJzrM9dLE

P.s, I took the liberty of following you on Flickr ;)

Thanks Jeff, I will be sure to follow you too when I figure out how to!! I'll go and have a look. :}
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2516641)
They look great. I don't think you can do better than that. Looks like you are old hand at it.

One problem with on board flash is that it looks harsh. It is because it is so close to the camera and because the light source (flash head) is so small. some insects can be quite shiny also.

If we were photographing say a person the main flash would be to the side - off camera. It would also have an umbrella or softbox attached, this is to make the light source larger compared to the subject. So when photographing zippy insects it is difficult - there is no time to mess about. If you look at my set up you will see a diffuser on the flash,. This makes the flash head effectively larger compared the the subject. Also my flash is a little more overhead of the subject, both these things help.

The closer a light source is to the subject it will be brighter (obviously) and softer (less harsh and specular)

So it is tricky for an onboard flash. Although it may be better than no flash.

You could try dialing down the flash compensation a little. This would under expose a touch but you can adjust in photoshop afterwards.
Also in camera raw (photoshop) bring down the highlights - this can help.

Edit: You can also try altering your exposure metering to centre so as the insect is metered and not the entire image.

Did you get more consistent results using the Flash?

Watch from 57 sec for Flickr info :}

Thanks for the nice comment, I am quite happy with the result bearing in mind it's not even from a proper macro lens. I can't wait to get a proper macro lens now!
I will get an external flash as well when I have got bored with this set up. :)

The glare only seemed really apparent on the flies. Bee's and other bugs not so much.

I got much more consistent results with the flash.
I just set flash on and wind the shutter speed up as fast as possible (1/200) and set the aperture to F11.
Without the flash I was on between F5.5 to F8 with a shutter speed from anywhere between 1/50 to 1/500.
Feels quite strange ignoring the light meter, I feel like I'm cheating!!

Phil 11th July 2017 20:11

Thanks to Jeff and Paul for showing me how to link images directly.:)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4214/...1fc185c1_z.jpgIMG_7507 by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4206/...9b8fe5bd_z.jpgIMG_7535 by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4236/...af2abd68_z.jpgIMG_7536 by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4218/...5ff1811c_z.jpgIMG_7539 by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4234/...86f4c188_z.jpgIMG_7547 by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4285/...3b8877c3_z.jpgIMG_7607 by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4285/...3b04480a_z.jpgIMG_7478 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

Rocket 11th July 2017 20:25

And if you put your cursor just just before the "IMG" and hit return (enter) it will put the text under the pic. (If you want, I prefer it )

Phil 11th July 2017 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2516922)
And if you put your cursor just just before the "IMG" and hit return (enter) it will put the text under the pic. (If you want, I prefer it )

Thank you, I'll do that. :)

Rocket 11th July 2017 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2516910)
Thanks for the tip, I will be sure to try it out.

Thanks Jeff, I will be sure to follow you too when I figure out how to!! I'll go and have a look. :}

Thanks for the nice comment, I am quite happy with the result bearing in mind it's not even from a proper macro lens. I can't wait to get a proper macro lens now!
I will get an external flash as well when I have got bored with this set up. :)

The glare only seemed really apparent on the flies. Bee's and other bugs not so much.

I got much more consistent results with the flash.
I just set flash on and wind the shutter speed up as fast as possible (1/200) and set the aperture to F11.
Without the flash I was on between F5.5 to F8 with a shutter speed from anywhere between 1/50 to 1/500.
Feels quite strange ignoring the light meter, I feel like I'm cheating!!

I have learned which insects and which leaves reflect more light. I then dial the flash up or down a tad as required. I think you are going through the stages we all go through. We use what we have - we learn why we need some thing different/better and then upgrade. It is all part of learning and even when you have great gear you have the knowledge gained from using less sophisticated equipment AND you get enjoyment from the whole procedure .

Phil 11th July 2017 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2516927)
I have learned which insects and which leaves reflect more light. I then dial the flash up or down a tad as required. I think you are going through the stages we all go through. We use what we have - we learn why we need some thing different/better and then upgrade. It is all part of learning and even when you have great gear you have the knowledge gained from using less sophisticated equipment AND you get enjoyment from the whole procedure .

I think you are right.
I was just looking through some of the pictures I had taken before without flash and I was quite surprised when comparing them to the ones I took yesterday.
The difference in definition is quite astonishing.

I'm really enjoying this.
Really looking forward to moving on to better kit.

Rocket 12th July 2017 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2516942)
I think you are right.
I was just looking through some of the pictures I had taken before without flash and I was quite surprised when comparing them to the ones I took yesterday.
The difference in definition is quite astonishing.

I'm really enjoying this.
Really looking forward to moving on to better kit.

And that is mostly down to eliminating your own hand wobble by using a short flash duration.

Take it one step further and this is how they get those shots of flying bullets etc. All done with short flash duration and eliminating ambient light.

Not quite the same but an indoor studio portrait shoot may use 2 or 3 lights to illuminate the subject but also close the aperture and raise the shutter speed to eliminate all the ambient light in the room. The subject is then completely lit by the photographers lighting of which he has total control.

Gate Keeper 12th July 2017 09:22

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mac...3640313/%3Famp

Has anyone tried the clip on macro lenses for their smart phones? Apparently some professional photographers are replacing their entire collection with these lenses.

Gate Keeper 12th July 2017 09:41

Or this kit for £9.99 ;)

Fisheye Lens, VicTsing® 3 in 1 Clip-On Phone Camera Lens Kit, 24X Super Macro Lens + 12X Macro Lens + 180° Fisheye Lens + 1 x Gift Box, Professional HD Camera Lenses Set for iPhone Huawei Samsung HTC and Other Smartphones https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0155X4D..._k4EzzbN3F16YC

coolcat 12th July 2017 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2517089)
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mac...3640313/%3Famp

Has anyone tried the clip on macro lenses for their smart phones? Apparently some professional photographers are replacing their entire collection with these lenses.

Hi Phil,

I'm pretty sure they will give very pleasing results, not sure that I'll be chucking away my Dslr just yet though;)

Two of my 'explored' images on Flickr were taken with my iPhone, very pleased with them as well.......But, they certainly don't stand up to close scrutiny (pixel peeking) compared with an image taken on a camera with a larger sensor and better quality glass in front of it.

Of course, where a camera phone does win hands down is it's go anywhere portability and always with you abilities :)

Gate Keeper 12th July 2017 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2517114)
Hi Phil,

I'm pretty sure they will give very pleasing results, not sure that I'll be chucking away my Dslr just yet though;)

Two of my 'explored' images on Flickr were taken with my iPhone, very pleased with them as well.......But, they certainly don't stand up to close scrutiny (pixel peeking) compared with an image taken on a camera with a larger sensor and better quality glass in front of it.

Of course, where a camera phone does win hands down is it's go anywhere portability and always with you abilities :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0155X4D..._k4EzzbN3F16YC

For sure Jeff, its another option for those who can't afford the outlay of spending out on the macro kit, only to discover that its not really their cuppa. Interestingly my phone has image stability with retinal display and the same number of pixels as the Nikon DSLR. For £9.99 I might take the above kit, for a test drive ;)

Phil 12th July 2017 21:33

I must say, the convenience and the speed of a phone camera is difficult to beat when out and about. Far less messing about than getting the DSLR out.
If you do buy these lenses, let us know how you get on! :)

Gate Keeper 13th July 2017 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2517308)
I must say, the convenience and the speed of a phone camera is difficult to beat when out and about. Far less messing about than getting the DSLR out.

I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and ordered this kit :getmecoat: :D

HD Camera Lens Kit 5 in 1 for iPhone / SE/ Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge/S6 Edge

Canonite 13th July 2017 09:12

Some lovely shots there buddy.
My tutors would cringe at those phone lenses, in fact im cringing.
Milk bottle bottom glass.

I encourage anyone thinking of getting into macro photography, who doesnt want to spend £250+, to get a Raynox DCR-250.
It fits any lens from 52mm to 67mm thread so if you have an 18-55 kit lens this Raynox allows close focussing.
It works much better between 100-200mm as you can still handhold and get mega close. The trade off is that you have very minimal control over depth of field, but the bokeh is sublime

Gate Keeper 13th July 2017 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonite (Post 2517416)

I encourage anyone thinking of getting into macro photography, who doesnt want to spend £250+, to get a Raynox DCR-250.
It fits any lens from 52mm to 67mm thread so if you have an 18-55 kit lens this Raynox allows close focussing.
It works much better between 100-200mm as you can still handhold and get mega close. The trade off is that you have very minimal control over depth of field, but the bokeh is sublime

Sound advice Alan, thank you :)
Did I see on another post, that you have bought S/H gear from MPB? I looked at their mirrorless cameras, actuations says N/A. What do you think?

Gate Keeper 13th July 2017 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonite (Post 2517416)

Oh really? Zeiss also make them.
https://www.zeiss.co.uk/camera-lense...age-comparison

Cringe all you like. I can see how purists could put themselves higher above us plebs :D

Phil 13th July 2017 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2517426)
Sound advice Alan, thank you :)
Did I see on another post, that you have bought S/H gear from MPB? I looked at their mirrorless cameras, actuations says N/A. What do you think?

I don't think mirrorless cameras have a shutter to actuate?

Rocket 13th July 2017 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2517451)

Most do have a mechanical shutter.

I use mine with electronic first curtain so only half a shutter:}.

Some have electronic shutter option so it can be used with no shutter but most people would shoot with mechanical shutter unless they wanted silence. (electronic shutters have downsides but theses are being overcome with time)

The new Sony A9 can shoot with electronic shutter at 20 fps with no viewfinder blackout and top class continuous auto focus. This is the way of things to come. In a few more years most new camera bodies will have no moving parts except the buttons.

Gate Keeper 13th July 2017 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2517451)

Here is a link Phil, with videos to explain how everything 'shutter' works in DSLR and mirrorless, similar to Paul's explanation :}
https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/how...shutters-work/

Gate Keeper 13th July 2017 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2517308)

It might work out okay and it might not. I don't know if you have ever bought any gear and then discovered it was a waste?

Last year I bought a stabiliser gimbal for the GoPro, read all of the positive reviews and watched the video about it on YouTube. What a waste of money. It did not live up to the sales hype and was nothing like the video. Apologies Phil for diverting from the discussion.

coolcat 13th July 2017 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2517476)
It might work out okay and it might not. I don't know if you have ever bought any gear and then discovered it was a waste?

Last year I bought a stabiliser gimbal for the GoPro, read all of the positive reviews and watched the video about it on YouTube. What a waste of money. It did not live up to the sales hype and was nothing like the video. Apologies Phil for diverting from the discussion.

I bought a GoPro a few months ago, got the 4K version, looks like a big oxo cube:D

Best mount I bought for it allows it to fix to my flashgun mount on my Dslr.
Means I can shoot video as I shoot stills at the same time ;)

Gate Keeper 13th July 2017 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2517482)
I bought a GoPro a few months ago, got the 4K version, looks like a big oxo cube:D

Best mount I bought for it allows it to fix to my flashgun mount on my Dslr.
Means I can shoot video as I shoot stills at the same time ;)

I bought mine from Canonite and it served me well, even took it underwater in the tropics. The waterproof housing had a floating collar with the anti-fog inserts. Alan sold me a good'un :)

You have the 4K Jeff. 4K is so crisp and sharp. Have you seen the 6K cameras?

The GoPro's are great, aren't they :) I can see you using it on your boat for the extra wide views from the top of the mast and for the very important selfies :) Incidentally, a nephew picked one up in Hong Kong, a 'no name' generic brand of the Pro for a fraction. It had all the toys, including a wrist watch remote control.

Rocket 14th July 2017 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2517453)
Most do have a mechanical shutter.

I use mine with electronic first curtain so only half a shutter:}.

Some have electronic shutter option so it can be used with no shutter but most people would shoot with mechanical shutter unless they wanted silence. (electronic shutters have downsides but theses are being overcome with time)

The new Sony A9 can shoot with electronic shutter at 20 fps with no viewfinder blackout and top class continuous auto focus. This is the way of things to come. In a few more years most new camera bodies will have no moving parts except the buttons.

When I said "Most do" I was not including phone cameras and the like.
If they are included most do not:}

I was thinking more like the interchangeable lens cameras.

Phil 15th July 2017 04:50

Thanks guys, I didn't realise!
You learn something new every day!

About flashes..
Using my inbuilt flash, I can get a maximum shutter speed of 1/200 at 300mm zoom with macro function engaged.
This isn't really fast enough in all situations.

If I buy an external flash, such as this one:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras...24546-pdt.html
Will I be able to shoot with a faster shutter speed?

Also it says it works with up to a 105mm zoom. But 61 meters away.
Surely if I'm using my 300mm zoom lens, set to macro and the subject is less than a meter in front of me it should be easy for this flash to manage, right??

What would happen if I used this flash with my 300mm zoom?
I have tried looking on the Internet but can't find any information.

What I'm trying to get is a faster shutter speed than 1/200 with the correct exposure..
With my inbuilt flash, I physically cannot set the shutter speed faster than 1/200. It won't let me.

Rocket 15th July 2017 11:13

If you use HSS flash (High Speed Sync, which enables you to use faster shutter speeds) the duration of the flash will be longer.

If you use the flash below 1/200 sec and at low power the flash may fire at 1/10,000 sec - much shorter duration and better able to freeze action.

HSS is useful but not for insect macro shots where short flash duration is required.

But say for outdoor portrait you may want an aperture of f1.8 and you would have to set the shutter speed high, let's say 1/4000 sec the you would have to use HSS - but you are not trying to freeze the action, you are just using the flash as an extra light source.

The link you posted does not seem to support HSS so if that is the case the flash would be limited to 1/200 sec on your camera. You can of course get flashes with HSS.

Google "High speed sync" and "Flash sync speed"

Phil 15th July 2017 11:32

Hi Paul,

I've just been and bought it..
Damn.
I'm not sure how useful it will be to me?
I bought it to try and improve my insect shots.

Rocket 15th July 2017 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2518159)
Hi Paul,

I've just been and bought it..
Damn.
I'm not sure how useful it will be to me?
I bought it to try and improve my insect shots.

It will be ok for insects. For insects you want to keep under your flash sync speed so HSS is not wanted:}
Remember for the insect shots it is not your shutter speed that is freezing the action it is the very short flash duration.

Watch this, it explains the Flash Sync speed limitation and High Speed Sync

Rocket 15th July 2017 12:03

And this one looks at freezing the action with a flash. Just think of the wine glasses as the insects:}
Also remember most of the blur when shooting insects is from hand shake.

coolcat 15th July 2017 13:00

Hi Phil,

I use my flash for all my cat photos and portraiture, even on bright outside shots it adds fill in light and puts catchlights in the eyes.

Flashguns are a brilliant tool for your photography .........enjoy ;)

Phil 15th July 2017 19:07

Thank you very much Paul, I've watched the videos and I understand a bit more now.

Thanks Jeff, I've seen your cat pictures and they are excellent.
What lens do you use?

Been out hunting bugs with the new flash so I will download them to my computer later and see how they came out.

coolcat 15th July 2017 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2518288)
Thank you very much Paul, I've watched the videos and I understand a bit more now.

Thanks Jeff, I've seen your cat pictures and they are excellent.
What lens do you use?

Been out hunting bugs with the new flash so I will download them to my computer later and see how they came out.

Evening Phil,

Depends what 'look' I'm after really, I use all of my lenses for my cat photos.
If you check the exif data on my Flickr photos it should tell you what was used for that particular photo:}

In my bag I carry a Canon 18-35L F4, 24-104L F4, 70-200L F2.8 and of course the 100mm L Macro F2.8.
Also keep a 1.4 and 2.0 Teleconverter and an extension tube plus two Speedlites, graduated filters, ND filters and polarising filter.

That covers most eventualities :D

I would love to have the Canon 200-400 F4 with integrated teleconverter but I need a lottery win for that one :eek::duh:

Phil 16th July 2017 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2518313)
Evening Phil,

Depends what 'look' I'm after really, I use all of my lenses for my cat photos.
If you check the exif data on my Flickr photos it should tell you what was used for that particular photo:}

In my bag I carry a Canon 18-35L F4, 24-104L F4, 70-200L F2.8 and of course the 100mm L Macro F2.8.
Also keep a 1.4 and 2.0 Teleconverter and an extension tube plus two Speedlites, graduated filters, ND filters and polarising filter.

That covers most eventualities :D

I would love to have the Canon 200-400 F4 with integrated teleconverter but I need a lottery win for that one :eek::duh:

Morning Jeff,
I will check out the data from your photos on Flickr.

At this stage I'd like to do finely detailed portraits of my dogs. Worthy of hanging on the wall.

stevenicks 16th July 2017 14:48

Hello everyone, I own a Kodak Pixpro AZ526 (please don't laugh as it serves me very well). I am looking to buy a budget macro lens for it. Are these lens a standard fit or do they come in different sizes? If anyone could advise and point me in the right direction then that would be great :}.

Rocket 16th July 2017 16:49

Most of us talking here have cameras on which you can swap lenses. Yours looks like a bridge camera with a fixed lens. You may have a macro setting you can use or maybe you can fit an extra lens onto your existing lens. I'll have a quick google.

Rocket 16th July 2017 16:59

After a quick google I think you have a macro setting. Give that a go (or maybe you have):}

stevenicks 16th July 2017 19:32

I'll have a play around and see if it has Paul. The inside rim of the Len's cap has what appears to be a thread to screw in an additional lens :shrug:.

Phil 16th July 2017 19:42

That's probably to screw in a filter which I have done, but I've only done it to protect the lens.
Canonite linked to a product the other day that might do the trick.
Your camera will have a macro function of sorts though, as Paul mentioned.

Phil 16th July 2017 19:58

Yesterday's haul with my new flashgun..

What do you think? :}

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4327/...82fcfdbe_c.jpgIMG_7952 by
Philip Davies
, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4310/...e2dd654c_c.jpgIMG_7968 by
Philip Davies
, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4309/...fa0c2c10_c.jpgIMG_7995 by
Philip Davies
, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4300/...0b32120f_c.jpgIMG_8017 by
Philip Davies
, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4310/...472d18be_c.jpgIMG_8027 by
Philip Davies
, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4311/...fafd54e6_c.jpgIMG_8043 by
Philip Davies
, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4317/...64ca73af_c.jpgIMG_8132 by
Philip Davies
, on Flickr

Rocket 16th July 2017 20:24

Some good ones in there. I like 995 and 027 the best
I reckon you could lower the flash output a smidge. I think it might look a little better and it would lower the flash duration as well.

Rocket 16th July 2017 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenicks (Post 2518614)
I'll have a play around and see if it has Paul. The inside rim of the Len's cap has what appears to be a thread to screw in an additional lens :shrug:.

This may help

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4295/...f03a372e_b.jpg
Untitled-1

Phil 16th July 2017 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2518644)
Some good ones in there. I like 995 and 027 the best
I reckon you could lower the flash output a smidge. I think it might look a little better and it would lower the flash duration as well.

Cheers Paul, I will have a go at that.
I'm thinking of getting a flash attachment like yours to better direct the light. Where did you get yours from? I don't know what the correct name is for them!

I went out today to a local National trust woodland. I photographed an evil looking insect, no idea what it is, I'll post it up in a bit.

Phil 16th July 2017 21:23

I went to a woodland today, the weather wasn't great and there were hardly any bugs about, these are the best of the bunch...

First of all, what on earth is this?
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4294/...c5966c98_c.jpgIMG_8154 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4323/...727193d0_c.jpgIMG_8167 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4318/...7f444eb2_c.jpgIMG_8197 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4313/...3197c33f_c.jpgIMG_8261 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

Then we got home.
This was in the garden.. We couldn't believe it. Especially after so little being around in the woodland, this was on our doorstep!
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4315/...43572d92_c.jpgIMG_8270 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

Rocket 16th July 2017 21:48

I can tell you the first butterfly is a gatekeeper and the second is a peacock as for the first beasty no idea. I usually consult the google.

The butterflies really like the buddleia in your pic. You may find plenty more there.

Edit: I reckon the first is of this family

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasteruptiidae

Rocket 17th July 2017 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2518685)
Cheers Paul, I will have a go at that.
I'm thinking of getting a flash attachment like yours to better direct the light. Where did you get yours from? I don't know what the correct name is for them!

I went out today to a local National trust woodland. I photographed an evil looking insect, no idea what it is, I'll post it up in a bit.

The diffuser on my flash is an eBay Chinese one - nothing special.
The reflector on top was also an eBay purchase.

You will see some here. I have not looked for the best offer or at their eBay rating, I just pcked the first two in the list. You may find your flash mentioned from another seller.
The reflector is just to point more of the light towards the subject - which means the flash duration will be shorter - which is good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P1-Profess...0AAOSwYXVYx630

and here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-...IAAOSwJH1ZMGsK

stevenicks 17th July 2017 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2518663)

Thank you Paul, you are a star sir :bowdown::}.

Phil 17th July 2017 21:07

Thanks Paul.
I had a look at Google too. Seems it's probably harmless but it gave me the creeps when I first saw it.
When I saw that great long tail I assumed it was for stinging or sucking blood.
Seems it's for drilling into wood...

Thanks for the links. Now I know what I'm looking for I will begin the hunt!

Phil 17th July 2017 21:36

Hi Paul,
With your set up, does the flash self adjust with the diffuser attached?
What difference does it make in reality?
There's loads of universal ones available. I just don't know which one I should go for!

Do these diffusers reduce the reflection on shiny insects?

Phil 18th July 2017 06:46

Just ordered one. Should arrive tomorrow apparently.
Lets see what it does!!

Rocket 18th July 2017 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2519036)
Hi Paul,
With your set up, does the flash self adjust with the diffuser attached?
What difference does it make in reality?
There's loads of universal ones available. I just don't know which one I should go for!

Do these diffusers reduce the reflection on shiny insects?

Yes, TTL flashes (E-TTL in your case) work by sending a pre flash. The camera then measures the exposure in the normal way.(no picture is taken) The flash is then adjusted to the correct power for a good exposure. The flash then fires at the required power and the picture is taken.

Diffusers in general are not really about putting an opaque surface between the flash and the subject. They are an attempt to make the light source bigger in relation to the subject (a flash umbrella is a good example). If the llght source is larger the light comes in from wider angles and produces a softer - more gentle light. When using an umbrella or soft box for portraits, if you want softer light you make the distance between subject and light smaller - for harsher/harder light move light further away.
To sum up - for softer light - make distance between light and subject smaller - make light source larger by using a light modifier (diffuser in your case.)

For the insect shots it makes a difference (not huge but it is noticed) but depends on how close you get the flash to the subject (closer the better).

Reduce reflections yes - eliminate no. As I said before dial the flash back a little and if you have to increase exposure in post processing.

If you cannot find one for your flash - I guess get the cheapest one and hope:} I have a Nissin flash and a Yongnuo flash - my diffuser fits both.
Edit: I found this for £5.49 from China. It may fit or if not you can resell on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Profession...MAAOSwXY5ZVc~l
Or here for £5.88 for a few canon flashes - not sure if yours is similar size - but a good chance.http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Professional-...IAAOSwIQdZJUbM

Here is a video on hard and soft light. Same thing applies for your insect shots.

Gate Keeper 18th July 2017 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2519099)
Just ordered one. Should arrive tomorrow apparently.
Lets see what it does!!

Good morning Phil, a few sample photos from the 'try out' macro lens phone attachment. I suspect the Zeiss kit would give sharper images. Lens distance was about 4 cams from the flowers.

[URLhttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...B105260EF9.jpg=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/GateKeeper_/media/macro%20lens%20on%20phone/995CD270-6888-4352-A1C5-1DB105260EF9_1.jpg.html]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...05260EF9_1.jpg[/URL]

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...44B27E7123.jpg

Phil 18th July 2017 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2519100)
Yes, TTL flashes (E-TTL in your case) work by sending a pre flash. The camera then measures the exposure in the normal way.(no picture is taken) The flash is then adjusted to the correct power for a good exposure. The flash then fires at the required power and the picture is taken.

Diffusers in general are not really about putting an opaque surface between the flash and the subject. They are an attempt to make the light source bigger in relation to the subject (a flash umbrella is a good example). If the llght source is larger the light comes in from wider angles and produces a softer - more gentle light. When using an umbrella or soft box for portraits, if you want softer light you make the distance between subject and light smaller - for harsher/harder light move light further away.
To sum up - for softer light - make distance between light and subject smaller - make light source larger by using a light modifier (diffuser in your case.)

For the insect shots it makes a difference (not huge but it is noticed) but depends on how close you get the flash to the subject (closer the better).

Reduce reflections yes - eliminate no. As I said before dial the flash back a little and if you have to increase exposure in post processing.

If you cannot find one for your flash - I guess get the cheapest one and hope:} I have a Nissin flash and a Yongnuo flash - my diffuser fits both.
Edit: I found this for £5.49 from China. It may fit or if not you can resell on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Profession...MAAOSwXY5ZVc~l
Or here for £5.88 for a few canon flashes - not sure if yours is similar size - but a good chance.http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Professional-...IAAOSwIQdZJUbM

Here is a video on hard and soft light. Same thing applies for your insect shots.

Thank you Paul, I really appreciate your patience and advice. You have helped me no end. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2519121)
Good morning Phil, a few sample photos from the 'try out' macro lens phone attachment. I suspect the Zeiss kit would give sharper images. Lens distance was about 4 cams from the flowers.

[URLhttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...B105260EF9.jpg=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/GateKeeper_/media/macro%20lens%20on%20phone/995CD270-6888-4352-A1C5-1DB105260EF9_1.jpg.html]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...05260EF9_1.jpg[/URL]

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...44B27E7123.jpg

Thank you Paul, I really appreciate your patience and advice. You have helped me no end. :)

Good evening Phil.
That's good to see, thanks for sharing. What are your impressions?

Phil 18th July 2017 22:53

As it was sunny and hot, I decided to take half a day holiday today.

I went to my favourite insect spotting haunt before taking my dogs for a walk at the local Iron age hill fort.
Here are today's efforts....
Feedback and advice welcome....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4314/...6d450b83_c.jpgIMG_8355-1 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4299/...09e07ce3_c.jpgIMG_8374 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

I didn't realise Damsel flies ate other insects!!
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4304/...0aa91623_c.jpgIMG_8388 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4318/...1d203521_c.jpgIMG_8390 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4302/...29689c25_c.jpgIMG_8438 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4314/...195abefc_c.jpgIMG_8467 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4329/...9ff8f2cd_c.jpgIMG_8494 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4325/...df1b19ae_c.jpgIMG_8677 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4323/...c6df6a76_c.jpgIMG_8692 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

Gate Keeper 19th July 2017 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2519399)
Good evening Phil.
That's good to see, thanks for sharing. What are your impressions?

Good morning Phil, sorry for missing your question. I think that the kit is the sort of thing you could leave in the boot of the car, or in a pocket, knowing the lenses are there for the 'chance unplanned' shot and you don't have your CaNikon with you. It comes in a little case with a belt clip, so all the lenses can be swapped at waist level. The one I had is quite limited with no manual focus controls. But worked ok with the phone's onboard auto focus. Some of the places I have been to in Africa are too dangerous to be seen taking a DSLR out, if you know what I mean. A phone camera is more discreet.

I don't think they could ever replace a DSLR, but these kits are becoming more popular for ease of use and convenience. Quality of glass will vary from bad to good. Set up is easy peasy :)

Phil 21st July 2017 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2519468)
Good morning Phil, sorry for missing your question. I think that the kit is the sort of thing you could leave in the boot of the car, or in a pocket, knowing the lenses are there for the 'chance unplanned' shot and you don't have your CaNikon with you. It comes in a little case with a belt clip, so all the lenses can be swapped at waist level. The one I had is quite limited with no manual focus controls. But worked ok with the phone's onboard auto focus. Some of the places I have been to in Africa are too dangerous to be seen taking a DSLR out, if you know what I mean. A phone camera is more discreet.

I don't think they could ever replace a DSLR, but these kits are becoming more popular for ease of use and convenience. Quality of glass will vary from bad to good. Set up is easy peasy :)

Thanks Phil, interesting to hear.
It can be a pain having to haul the camera around everywhere with you so would be good to have something like this.
I guess over time these kind of things will develop and become better and eventually may even integrate completely with the phone hardware.

I've ordered a new SIGMA macro lens. It's meant to be delivered tomorrow.
I hadn't planned on getting one for a while yet but I've really enjoyed capturing insects with my 300mm zoom lens and as summer won't be here for long I thought I might as well get on with it.
I just hope it turns out to be worth it.

Rocket 21st July 2017 20:01

August is usually best for butterflies:}

Phil 22nd July 2017 21:45

Here's the final few insect shots taken with my 70-300 lens..

I feel sorry for this guy, he looks like he's been through a lot!
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4321/...a27af8c6_c.jpgRed Admiral by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4316/...da584eb2_c.jpgWasp by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4315/...8006b9ca_c.jpgBee by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4308/...9555f154_c.jpgBee by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4298/...500bb7f2_c.jpgBee by Philip Davies, on Flickr

Phil 22nd July 2017 21:50

Here are my efforts with my new, proper macro lens!

I love this, there is a raindrop on his eye! This wasn't even a big fly. He was tiny.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4320/...1eae08f5_c.jpgFly by Philip Davies, on Flickr

This is a caterpillar on a Buddleia flower..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4321/...e087ffe7_c.jpgCaterpillar by Philip Davies, on Flickr

Rocket 22nd July 2017 22:16

Much more detail - good stuff. All the parts have come together now. Now you just need that 42mp camera.

They are sharper than mine now - I'll have to get a proper macro lens to keep up.:}

Phil 22nd July 2017 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2521100)
Much more detail - good stuff. All the parts have come together now. Now you just need that 42mp camera :}.

Thanks Paul, I'm nowhere near your standard of quality but I'll keep at it.
SWMBO is going out tomorrow morning and according to the internet it isn't going to rain so I will go and have another play!!

Rocket 22nd July 2017 22:25

I reckon you were closer to the subject with those 2 shots. The flash has a softer look to it with less bright areas.

Phil 22nd July 2017 22:27

Quote:

Much more detail - good stuff. All the parts have come together now. Now you just need that 42mp camera.

They are sharper than mine now - I'll have to get a proper macro lens to keep up.:}

Sorry, I quoted while you were editing.
No! My pictures are nowhere near the quality yours are at!!
You already have a proper macro lens don't you?! If you don't, we are all in trouble!!

Rocket 22nd July 2017 22:29

I just use a couple of Chinese extension tubes - cost about £20

These - Nex is another name for Sony E mount
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EACHSHOT-DG.../dp/B00WSJOMUK

Phil 22nd July 2017 22:30

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2521107)
I reckon you were closer to the subject with those 2 shots. The flash has a softer look to it with less bright areas.

I was about 20CM away, if that!

I love the detail it's caught in the eyes. Especially with the rain drop.

I took about 250 shots and these two were the best.

Phil 22nd July 2017 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2521110)
I just use a couple of Chinese extension tubes - cost about £20

These - Nex is another name for Sony E mount
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EACHSHOT-DG.../dp/B00WSJOMUK

You are capturing a lot more detail than I am that's for sure!
!

Rocket 22nd July 2017 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2521113)
You are capturing a lot more detail than I am that's for sure!
!

Those last two you put up are on a par with what I get. The 60mm lens I use is really sharp and I do have a 24mp camera which helps a bit.

I may get the Sony 90mm macro in the future - we shall see.

Phil 22nd July 2017 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2521114)
Those last two you put up are on a par with what I get. The 60mm lens I use is really sharp and I do have a 24mp camera which helps a bit.

I may get the Sony 90mm macro in the future - we shall see.

Thank you Paul, that really means a lot to hear that! :)

I'm hoping to go out tomorrow morning and have another play.

Phil 23rd July 2017 21:08

I went out this afternoon when it finally stopped raining and managed to give my new lens a bit of exercise:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4314/...f2903615_c.jpgFly by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4303/...ff220a22_c.jpgBee by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4319/...9cc24f33_c.jpgFly by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4320/...677a3826_c.jpgA bug by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4300/...9cc4120b_c.jpgHoverfly by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4313/...29bef120_c.jpgFly by Philip Davies, on Flickr

Rocket 23rd July 2017 22:12

Very nice Phil. Th 4th one looks like a bee of some sort but I have no shots of one that dark.

Good job.

Phil 23rd July 2017 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2521428)
Very nice Phil. Th 4th one looks like a bee of some sort but I have no shots of one that dark.

Good job.

Thanks Paul.
I'm really enjoying it.
I will keep at it and try to increase the sharpness if I can.

I thought it looked like a bee but I'd never seen one all black before.

Rocket 23rd July 2017 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2521434)
Thanks Paul.
I'm really enjoying it.
I will keep at it and try to increase the sharpness if I can.

I thought it looked like a bee but I'd never seen one all black before.

I think there are many types of bee but only one honey bee. I got this chap the other day - he had a really high pitched buzz - a bit like a mosquito. It was about half the size of a honey bee.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4237/...ea381f4b_c.jpg

A bee - no idea what sort.

Phil 23rd July 2017 22:43

That's a good shot.

I guess there are lots of different bees. If he was a bee he wasn't doing a lot. I've never seen a bee sat still doing nothing before.

If you zoom into the picture, there is what looks like another eye above the big eye.... How many eyes do these things have!!

Rocket 24th July 2017 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2521440)
That's a good shot.

I guess there are lots of different bees. If he was a bee he wasn't doing a lot. I've never seen a bee sat still doing nothing before.

If you zoom into the picture, there is what looks like another eye above the big eye.... How many eyes do these things have!!

You can see the same extras eyes on my pic. It is strange because I read yesterday that bees have 2 compound eyes and 3 smaller simple eyes, so that is the answer I guess.

This pic shows them off really well

This was the page I found about bees - their antennae are pretty amazing also https://www.perfectbee.com/learn-abo...atomy-of-bees/

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8325/...34773276_c.jpg
Bee with red dots between eyes ?

coolcat 24th July 2017 12:38

Some really great photos Phil and Paul :bowdown:

Keep 'em coming :}

Phil 27th July 2017 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 2521450)
You can see the same extras eyes on my pic. It is strange because I read yesterday that bees have 2 compound eyes and 3 smaller simple eyes, so that is the answer I guess.

This pic shows them off really well

This was the page I found about bees - their antennae are pretty amazing also https://www.perfectbee.com/learn-abo...atomy-of-bees/

Bee with red dots between eyes ?[/URL] by Paul Stickley, on Flickr

Thanks Paul, now I've seen them, I can see them on some of my own photo's as well. Really interesting link too. Thanks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2521536)
Some really great photos Phil and Paul :bowdown:

Keep 'em coming :}

Cheers Jeff, thanks very much. :)

Phil 27th July 2017 21:02

A couple from last weekend...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4326/...4d9cfa1c_c.jpgIMG_9218 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4321/...335b8c8a_c.jpgIMG_9208 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

Rocket 27th July 2017 21:57

Good shots Phil

A Red Admiral and a Comma

Phil 27th July 2017 22:07

Thank you Paul.
These were taken in my garden.

stevenicks 28th July 2017 06:19

I just love these close up photo's the detail is amazing :}.

Phil 28th July 2017 06:39

Thanks Steve.
It's really satisfying when you get a shot and you can see individual hairs.
I got a shot of a butterfly the other day and you could see the reflection of the flowers in the eye!

Rocket 28th July 2017 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2522923)
Thanks Steve.
It's really satisfying when you get a shot and you can see individual hairs.
I got a shot of a butterfly the other day and you could see the reflection of the flowers in the eye!

One reason I like photographing the insects is because they are right outside your door (well my door in my case) I often have 30 mins to spare so I just pick up the camera and go for a walk around the outside of the house.

Phil 29th July 2017 22:16

A few from today.
Only one insect though.... :getmecoat:
It has rained almost all day.....

I will start with the insect:
You can see the raindrop on his back.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4314/...bdcd861a_c.jpgFly on a Hydrangea with a drop of rain on his back. by Philip Davies, on Flickr

Finally, because of the rain, these were taken indoors.
My two boys:
This is Oscar, he's Ten next year, still a puppy though.. My best mate.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4326/...f3f8e806_c.jpgSpringer Spaniel by Philip Davies, on Flickr

This is Bertie, Oscar's apprentice. He is seven years old and a rescue dog.
Oscar dotes on him like you wouldn't believe. They are inseparable.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4319/...408caa8b_c.jpgRetired Greyhound by Philip Davies, on Flickr

These were taken with my macro lens.
I'd appreciate some pointers to better my photography of my dogs, I've seen some of Jeff's awesome cat pictures and I'd like to achieve the same. :)

stevenicks 30th July 2017 06:16

Wow, truly amazing photo's Phil. I have just bought myself a detailed, pictorial camera book. I'll take my time, go through it slowly and see how it goes :}.

Phil 30th July 2017 09:10

Thanks very much Steve.
It's a truly rewarding hobby. I'm still learning though which is all part of the fun.

Post your photos as you go so we can see your progress. :)

Phil 30th July 2017 20:15

The weather has been awful this weekend but managed 45 minutes out and about..

Not entirely pleased with these, but keeping in mind that it was windy and cloudy I guess I can't expect too much...
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/...45c17ecd_c.jpgI don't know what this is... by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4304/...a34caefa_c.jpgBee by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4297/...99733bfd_c.jpgBee by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4318/...d1087c34_c.jpgBee by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4325/...5bf61d71_c.jpgDamsel fly by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4324/...c5817434_c.jpgDamsel fly by Philip Davies, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4329/...3a313d68_c.jpgSpider by Philip Davies, on Flickr

Rocket 30th July 2017 20:21

Good stuff. You got it nailed now.:}

I find cloudy days better. If it is too sunny the flash gets overpowered by the sun and instead of using the flash duration (1/5000 sec or faster) the picture will expose using the shutter speed with sunlight. So the pictures become less sharp.

Of course if using no flash - the sunnier the better and get the shutter speed as fast as possible.

Phil 30th July 2017 21:00

Thanks Paul,

What you say makes sense.
I've got tomorrow afternoon off work so will go and spend a few hours there again and see what I can see..

When reviewing the images on my computer I worry that they look fake.
I guess it's because you are seeing another creature from an angle you'd never seen before.

Phil 5th August 2017 20:15

I'm sure there was another post here before I hadn't gotten around to replying to?

Here are some taken yesterday.

I've been playing with different aperture and dropped it down to F8 for a couple of these...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4378/...97f59f20_c.jpgIMG_9836 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4380/...f3bd73b3_c.jpgIMG_9818 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4408/...746d2ca9_c.jpgIMG_9733 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4384/...b1531fbc_c.jpgIMG_9668 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4369/...4741bec7_c.jpgIMG_9573 by Philip Davies, on Flickr

Rocket 5th August 2017 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2526354)
I'm sure there was another post here before I hadn't gotten around to replying to?

Here are some taken yesterday.

I've been playing with different aperture and dropped it down to F8 for a couple of these...

I thought I posted there also. Oh well it was not important.

Some good shots there. Playing around with the settings is a great idea. You will learn how your gear performs in different conditions and with different settings. When I bought my last camera I changed a few things in the way I shoot because it behaved differently.

coolcat 6th August 2017 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 2523727)
A few from today.

Finally, because of the rain, these were taken indoors.
My two boys:
This is Oscar, he's Ten next year, still a puppy though.. My best mate.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4326/...f3f8e806_c.jpgSpringer Spaniel by Philip Davies, on Flickr

This is Bertie, Oscar's apprentice. He is seven years old and a rescue dog.
Oscar dotes on him like you wouldn't believe. They are inseparable.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4319/...408caa8b_c.jpgRetired Greyhound by Philip Davies, on Flickr

These were taken with my macro lens.
I'd appreciate some pointers to better my photography of my dogs, I've seen some of Jeff's awesome cat pictures and I'd like to achieve the same. :)

Sorry for the late reply Phil.

Was so busy looking at the photos I missed your question;)

The one thing I would say makes the biggest difference in portrait photography, be it animals or humans is to get down to the same level as the subject you are shooting, get the lens and the subjects eyes level with each other.
With cats that usually means laying prone on the floor unless your lucky enough to have an articulated screen on your camera:eek:;)

Also, with your flash I would bounce it to avoid the 'green eye' effect.

P.s. I use my macro lens all the time for portraiture, makes a brilliant prime lens for such photography.

Phil 6th August 2017 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2526471)
Sorry for the late reply Phil.

Was so busy looking at the photos I missed your question;)

The one thing I would say makes the biggest difference in portrait photography, be it animals or humans is to get down to the same level as the subject you are shooting, get the lens and the subjects eyes level with each other.
With cats that usually means laying prone on the floor unless your lucky enough to have an articulated screen on your camera:eek:;)

Also, with your flash I would bounce it to avoid the 'green eye' effect.

P.s. I use my macro lens all the time for portraiture, makes a brilliant prime lens for such photography.

Thanks Jeff, I will keep practising. :)
Maybe something to hone up on when the weather isn't so good. :)

Phil 6th August 2017 14:10

Kisses for sale, form a queue!!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4435/...84508737_c.jpgMacro shot of Fly head by Philip Davies, on Flickr