The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Overseas Club Members Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Am I the first MG7 owner on this Forum? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=70589)

Roelof 15th October 2010 13:23

Am I the first MG7 owner on this Forum?

Yesterday I have ordered my MG7 1.8 Turbo deLuxe in Chongqing, China, that's where I live since almost 7 years now.
I hesitated between this car and the Roewe 750, but, although the Roewe has more space for the passengers and is more forgiving for bad roads, i have chosen for the MG7 because of the body style and the interior, which is almost the same as the Rover 75 I bought when I retired in Italy in 2001. I loved that car, even after driving Mercedes 300 and BMW 7 for my work.
This MG7 is really beautiful and it is fun driving it.
For the curious people amongst you: I have paid (after negotiations) 192.800 RMB. (18.000 UK pounds)
I have downloaded some pictures in the Image Gallery of exactly the same car I have ordered.
If somebody would like more details, just let me know.

WeeMan 15th October 2010 14:00

Ni Hao :}

Welcome to the club, look forward to seeing your photos and hear your reports.

Cymrudragon 15th October 2010 14:50

Congrats on your new car seen many photos of the new 75 or mg7 and very nice but have they changed anything at all as it looks a carbon copy of a rover 75 mk1 not that is a bad thing dont get me wrong but surely they should have alterd the disigne a bit like the Zero or whatever they called it :shrug:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...7d015a15b8.jpg
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...7cf9f73411.jpg
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...7d03778d91.jpg

Ken 15th October 2010 15:09

If only they were over here :}

woolleysox 15th October 2010 15:13

Looks good Looks like a Rover with the chrome bits and the seats. I wish them all the luck with the MG and Rowea cars. :D

Cymrudragon 15th October 2010 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken (Post 601750)
If only they were over here :}

They soon will be check out the NEW mgtf dealers, and i read that xpart and catapillar are the parts supplyers

http://www.mgmotor.co.uk/ask-mg/

Paulifa1 15th October 2010 17:19

No they won't! They aren't bringing the MG7 to the UK at all :(

Ken 15th October 2010 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cymrudragon (Post 601797)
They soon will be check out the NEW mgtf dealers, and i read that xpart and catapillar are the parts supplyers

http://www.mgmotor.co.uk/ask-mg/

I thought I had missed something in the few months I have been away but sadly not as it's not the MG7 coming here :(

Cymrudragon 15th October 2010 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulifa1 (Post 601813)

And your font of knowlage is based on what . i have e-mailed Mr Yang junhu, mg sales director for nanjing autos and the price for the european and uk has not been annonuced as yet

MG7 to be made in China and then shipped to export markets!

u
China Car Times was under the impression that once the UK Longbridge factory had opened that the MG7 would come tumbling down the lines and straight into dealerships before finally ending up in customers hands – it seems however, that Nanjing MG have other plans. Instead the MG7 will be made in China and then exported to the UK, Russia, and Malaysia etc

BEIJING, June 25 — Nanjing Automobile Corp said yesterday it plans to start exporting its Chinese-made MG 7 series cars as early as the second half of next year, seeking to revive the UK’s most famous car brand globally.

The Chinese owner of the bankrupt British car giant MG Rover aims to sell its MG 7 series premier sedans in Malaysia, Russia and Britain, said Tang Yuejin, vice general manager of Nanjing MG Automotive Co Ltd.

”We are be able to export at any time as we have passed all the technical tests including emission (standard) from VCA, the designated UK Vehicle Type Approval authority,” said Tang.

Why is it so strange if they do sell it in the uk they sell the mg6
http://www.chinacartimes.com/2010/10...nch-on-monday/

mark d3 15th October 2010 19:21

i will email mg theres a tidy guy there he will know

AURORA MG 15th October 2010 19:35

I wonder where they sourse all the parts from that appear iddentical to the originals?

mark d3 15th October 2010 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurora ZT-T (Post 601871)
I wonder where they sourse all the parts from that appear iddentical to the originals?

good question anyone know?:shrug::shrug:

Robson Rover Repair 15th October 2010 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 601724)
Yesterday I have ordered my MG7 1.8 Turbo deLuxe in Chongqing, China, that's where I live since almost 7 years now.
I hesitated between this car and the Roewe 750, but, although the Roewe has more space for the passengers and is more forgiving for bad roads, i have chosen for the MG7 because of the body style and the interior, which is almost the same as the Rover 75 I bought when I retired in Italy in 2001. I loved that car, even after driving Mercedes 300 and BMW 7 for my work.
For the curious people amongst you: I have paid (after negotiations) 192.800 RMB. (18.000 UK pounds)
I have downloaded some pictures in the Image Gallery of exactly the same car I have ordered.

Welcome!!! Congratulations on purchasing on of the finest cars in the world. :bowdown:

I think you are the first to join here, awesome, glad to see the forums world wide reaching!

Also, your english is fantastic! You may become tortured by forum members for getting parts for our cars. ;)

Tatts 15th October 2010 20:10

I asked MG months ago about the MG7 being sold in the UK.

No was the answer.

I get the impression that the 'new' MG under Chinese ownership wants to distance itself from the MG that failed in 2005.

Depending on what you read & believe, there's a rather smart looking TF replacement on the not too distant horizon.

We're also likely to get the MG Zero, and from what I've seen written, there's a few new models due to be coming out. Sometime.

Robson Rover Repair 15th October 2010 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatts (Post 601896)
I asked MG months ago about the MG7 being sold in the UK.

No was the answer.

I get the impression that the 'new' MG under Chinese ownership wants to distance itself from the MG that failed in 2005.

Depending on what you read & believe, there's a rather smart looking TF replacement on the not too distant horizon.

We're also likely to get the MG Zero, and from what I've seen written, there's a few new models due to be coming out. Sometime.

Agreed. I questioned this on the MG facebook page and they couldnt have been more of ''those are cars from the past'' attitude.

I personally love the MG7. Too me, its far closer to this....

http://austin-rover.co.uk/images/r75_05.jpg

.... which was the Rover 75 sport.

volvoturboman 15th October 2010 20:50

Ain't ever seen one of those before its like a mixed up car. A Rover 75 with an MG badge. Looks like one thats near wear I live only the one near me is a Rover 75 with ZT bumper and MG badge.

Roelof 16th October 2010 07:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cymrudragon (Post 601746)
Congrats on your new car seen many photos of the new 75 or mg7 and very nice but have they changed anything at all as it looks a carbon copy of a rover 75 mk1 not that is a bad thing dont get me wrong but surely they should have alterd the disigne a bit like the Zero or whatever they called it :shrug:

ROEWE has changed the body and other details considerably, so, the ROEWE 750 does not look very much like the original concept anymore. In 2012 the model will be totally revised/re-invented on the platform of the (GM) Lacrosse.
MG kept the original concept, but since the car is not selling well (the Chinese want a luxury car with all possible comfort and gadgets) they have added the automatic gearbox, GPS, and all other nice things. And you are right, it looks now very much like the Rover 75 as we know it in Europe.

Tatts 16th October 2010 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 602038)
ROEWE has changed the body and other details considerably, so, the ROEWE 750 does not look very much like the original concept anymore. In 2012 the model will be totally revised/re-invented on the platform of the (GM) Lacrosse.
MG kept the original concept, but since the car is not selling well (the Chinese want a luxury car with all possible comfort and gadgets) they have added the automatic gearbox, GPS, and all other nice things. And you are right, it looks now very much like the Rover 75 as we know it in Europe.

Thanks for that!

When do you actually get your new car? We would all like to see photos of the inside & outside - lots of them please!

ianfletcher 16th October 2010 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurora ZT-T (Post 601871)

Maybe it would be a good idea not to use parts identical to the originals that way not as many things can go wrong

Paulifa1 16th October 2010 14:11

@ Cymrudragon

That reply seemed a bit "snappy" :shrug:

Unfortunately my font of knowledge was a polite e-mail reply from MG in reply to my own e-mail confirming they have no plans for us to get the MG7, they also won't consider one off import requests from individuals.

Regards,

Paul

Cymrudragon 16th October 2010 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulifa1 (Post 602142)
@ Cymrudragon

That reply seemed a bit "snappy" :shrug:

Unfortunately my font of knowledge was a polite e-mail reply from MG in reply to my own e-mail confirming they have no plans for us to get the MG7, they also won't consider one off import requests from individuals.

Regards,

Paul

Your post

So why did you omit that you had a email from mg in the post and post said e-mail for all to see .. I posted to the op with what i would consider good evadunce of them selling the mg7 many of the press statments are from employees of mg in china, yes they all could be lying but reading what i have there is a better chance of the car being sold here than it not.and posted it on the forum for members to make there own minds up on what i posted.....

what your post should have said is " no they are not " BECAUSE".......and then post your reasons for them not selling the mg7 in the uk , to put no they are not without anything to back it up is pointless..

geofftl1000r 16th October 2010 17:27

Quote:

Nice car! Would like a new one for £18,000. My wife and I have an apartment in Chongqing,hai ke ying zhou, maybe we should pop over for a look at the MG7 haha.:D

mark d3 19th October 2010 17:44

No truth whatsoever – many moons ago, when NAC first bought the MG brand, their initial plan was to build MG TF and MG ZT. The MG7 in China is nothing like the MG ZT as we remember it – in reality, it drives like a Rover 75 with MG styling. There will be no further ‘re-introductions’ – starting with the MG6, all future cars will be brand new to the UK market.

Get your self in to the prize draw to win tickets to MPH at Earl’s Court – simply send me an e-mail with the code MPH2010 in the subject bar and I’ll make sure you are in the draw – there’s 5 pairs of Top Gear Live tickets and 5 pairs of exhibition entry passes up for grabs – you’re already entered into the facebook draw so why not double your chances.

Kind regards

Keith Harris
Customer Relationships Manager
theres sadly the answer

Roger1 19th October 2010 22:20

I believe you have made an excellent choice. I would be very happy to own one too. Well done!

rrobson 19th October 2010 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 601904)
Agreed. I questioned this on the MG facebook page and they couldnt have been more of ''those are cars from the past'' attitude.

I personally love the MG7. Too me, its far closer to this....

http://austin-rover.co.uk/images/r75_05.jpg

.... which was the Rover 75 sport.

bit like mine :D

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/a...apture-car.jpg

would love to see some pics of the mg7 though :drool4:

was it just the badge and styling that was different?

arjan_m 20th October 2010 11:07

Hi Roelof!

Do post some pictures when you really have it, we are very curious.....
In any case... I am.... :D

Departed 32016 20th October 2010 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulifa1 (Post 601813)

it would be a commericial failure over here- let's face it the base shape and most of the interior has been around since 1999, as much as i love the car I would prefer a more modern shape, more modern interior and drive.

Paulifa1 20th October 2010 17:50

@ Cymrudragon

Life is just too short to get worked up and argue over such trivial matters! :(

If you were upset by my post not bieng backed up with evidence, I apologize.

Paul

pbaker 22nd October 2010 00:54

mg7

I am a little confused. will somebody tell me if the mg7 is the same body as the roweo 750 which I believe is the same as the GB R75/MGZT thanks. dont all rush, going to bed now. nite nite!.

derekosb 22nd October 2010 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbaker (Post 604835)
I am a little confused. will somebody tell me if the mg7 is the same body as the roweo 750 which I believe is the same as the GB R75/MGZT thanks. dont all rush, going to bed now. nite nite!.

The MG7 is exactly the same bodyshell as the original R75/MG ZT. The Roewe 750 is not as it has been stretched to provide much needed extra legroom.

HTH

Derek

pbaker 23rd October 2010 19:58

Mg7

Thanks Derek for the response. would not mind having one ifrhd and had silly money [and maybe a silly brain as well]. I could even be more silly and have it converted!. peter :mad: :D

Roelof 4th November 2010 04:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark d3 (Post 603534)
The MG7 in China is nothing like the MG ZT as we remember it – in reality, it drives like a Rover 75 with MG styling.
Keith Harris
Customer Relationships Manager
theres sadly the answer

You are wrong here: The Chinese MG7 is very close to the original MG ZT, but has the Rover 75 styling and extra's.
Herewith the MG7 features as in my new car, which has been delivered two day ago (translated from Chinese, so, please forgive me for some errors):
MG7 1,8 Turbo AT the 2010 Deluxe Edition
• Market Price: 199.800-202.800 RMB (I have paid 18.000 UK Pounds)
• MSRP: 202,800
• Transmission: 5-speed tiptronic
• Car price estimate: 229,600 (Incl. tax, license plate, insurance, etc.)
• Displacement: 1.8L
• Warranty: three years or 60,000 km
• General conditions fuel consumption: 9.2L
• Manufacturer: SAIC-MG:

Basic information
Warranty Policy: three years or 60,000 km
Listing Date (year): 2010
Basic performance
Maximum speed: 205 km / h
Drive: Front wheel drive
Number of passengers (including driver) 5
Curb weight: 1500kg
Body structure
Door Number 4
Body type: Sedan
Roof type: Hardtop
Roof type: One skylight
Way to open and close sunroof: Electric (Webasto)
Body structure: Bearing type, re-in-forced steel
External dimensions
Long 4749mm Wide 1761mm
High 1421mm Wheelbase 2749mm
Fuel
Fuel type: Gasoline
Fuel label: 93 # (Chinese for 95 RON)
Type of fuel supply: Multi-point EFI
Engine
Model 18N4T1
Displacement 1796mL
Maximum power - power value: 118kW
Maximum Power - RPM: 5500 r/min (rpm)
Maximum torque - torque: 215Nm
Maximum torque - speed: 2100-4500 r/min (rpm)
Engine alignment L-type
Engine Location: Front
Intake Type: Supercharger
Booster mode: Turbo
Camshaft: Double overhead cam (DOHC)
Number of cylinders: 4
Number of valves per cylinder: 4
Cylinder material: Aluminum
Environmental standards: State 4 (Euro4)
Chassis control
Power steering: Hydraulic
Transmission Type: Tiptronic
Number of forward gears: 5
Front brake type: Disc
Rear Brake Type: Disc
Parking brake: Mechanical parking brake
Shock Absorber Type: Hydraulic
Type front suspension: High-pressure forming rigid subframe with sports suspension components
Rear Suspension Type: Original BMW Z-vertical arm double wishbone independent suspension
Wheel Material: Aluminum
Front tires size: 215/55 R16
Rear tire size: 215/55 R16
Spare wheel type: Full size
External configuration
Great Britain Green (British Racing Green)
Windows: Front and rear electric windows
Power Windows with Lock function
Power windows anti-pinch feature on all car windows
Rear window sunshade: automatic
Wiper sensor: Rain sensor
Inside rearview mirror: automatic dimming function
Automatic electrically adjustable exterior mirrors
Electric folding exterior mirrors
Heated exterior mirrors
Memory exterior mirrors
Headlight Type: Xenon
Delay off headlamps
Front fog lamps
Headlights switch on and off automatically
Headlamp height adjustment irradiation: Automatic
Auto headlamp cleaning
High (third) brake light
Interior
Steering wheel surface material: Wood / leather
Steering wheel adjustment method: Manual
Trip computer
Clock
Way of the fuel shortage warning: Light
Tachometer
Seat fabric: Genuine leather
Front seats: heated
Driver's seat lumbar support adjustment
Seat adjustment driver's seat: Electric
Positions of the driver's seat seat adjustment: 8
Driver seat adjustment memory location number of groups: 3
Co-pilot seat adjustment method: Electric
Positions of the co-pilot seat adjustment: 8
Front seat center armrest
Rear seat center armrest
Rear seat head restraints
Front seat head restraints, adjustable
The proportion of rear seat recline: 6 / 4
AV Air Conditioning
Air-conditioning control Automatic Number of temperature 2 (dual)
Radio/RDS
DVD
LCD console
Number of speakers: 8
Convenience features
Car power supply 12V
Inside front reading lights
Cruise Control
GPS electronic navigation
Parking sensor with reverse image
Central locking
Bluetooth system
Multi-function steering wheel features: audio controls, cruise control
Remote Key for doors and trunk
Central glove box
Front cup holders
Rear cup holders
Clothes hook
Sun visor mirror
Security/Safety Configuration
ABS (antilock braking system brakes)
DSC (Dynamic Stability Control system)
EBA / EVA (Emergency Brake Assist System)
EBD / EBV (electronic brake force distribution)
TCS (Traction Control System)
Electronic anti-theft system
Engine anti-theft system
Airbag driver
Co-pilot airbag
Front side airbags
Front seat belt adjustment, height adjustable
Seat-belt pretensioners tighten function
Features seat belt force limiters
Rear seat belts: 3
Child Lock
Door bumper (re-in-forced beams)
Steering column can crumple
Brake System: BOSCH ABS + EBD BRAKE SYSTEM

I will add some pictures soon
Roelof

Robson Rover Repair 4th November 2010 05:15

Will be wonderful to see loads of photos of the car. Im very jelous having such a new and fresh mg7. :drool4:

matthewsemple 6th November 2010 00:28

Mg7

Whilst we're waiting for pictures, I had a look on Google. There seems to be two versions of this car.

The first one looks like a mark 1 MG ZT with a Rover 75 interior:
http://www.chinacartimes.com/wp-content/mg7-pic.jpg

Then there is an updated one which looks like it has the premium Rover grille which has been the subject of some discussion on other threads:
http://www.chinacartimes.com/wp-content/mg7.jpg

This second one also looks like a LWB car - but why have they used the Rover bumper / grille and then fitted an MG badge with a strange gap underneath?

Again the chrome mirrors, serpents and the colour look more Rover 75 than MG ZT.

Paulifa1 8th November 2010 13:07

Roelof,

Although we can argue all day about your car having more 75 or ZT in it, I for one would like to say congratulations on getting your new MG7, the specification sounds fantastic and wheather it's more 75 or ZT like, who cares, it's fantastic!! :drool4: In fact the spec. sounds similar to the Mk1 Connoisseur SE!! :D

Can we see some pictures please as soon as possible!!

Best regards,

Paul

PS, Just noticed tiptronic shift!! Cool, thats what we should have got, at least on the ZT's. Is it still the Jatco transmission?

Cymrudragon 8th November 2010 13:47

Full range , colours etc..........
MG 7 MG zt

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...2Fconfigure%2F

MG 750 rover 75

http://www.saicmg.com/english/images.../1280x1024.jpg

arjan_m 8th November 2010 21:57

I've got that picture on as my wallpaper..... :D

Dallas 8th November 2010 22:19

你好和歡迎 Roelof Mooiweer :}

Totally please for you, what a lovely car the MG7 and MG750 really is..... :bowdown:

Love to see the photos.......

All the best!

Roelof 13th November 2010 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewsemple (Post 612094)
Whilst we're waiting for pictures, I had a look on Google. There seems to be two versions of this car.

The first one looks like a mark 1 MG ZT with a Rover 75 interior

There are two versions: the MG7 and the MG7L. The second is the longer version.

Roelof

[QUOTE=Cymrudragon;613719]Full range , colours etc..........
MG 7 MG zt

MG 750 rover 75

Those websites are old; in China only the MG's on this website: http://www.saicmg.com , are available.
Regards, Roelof

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 614053)
你好和歡迎 Roelof Mooiweer :}

Totally please for you, what a lovely car the MG7 and MG750 really is..... :bowdown:

Love to see the photos.......

All the best!

感谢您友好的欢迎你. (thank you for your friendly welcome).
I will post photo's as soon as the weather will be nice (it is raining this week).
Regards, Roelof

egremont 14th November 2010 10:50

The MG 7

Congratulations Roelof on your new acquisition.
Has anything been mentioned as to why they will not be marketing the MG 7 here in Australia? We drive on the left side of the road - Right Hand Drive _ same as China and the U.K. And with the burgeoning trade between China and Australia, and shorter freight distance / costs, I would have thought it would have appealed to them.

Kiwi303 17th November 2010 21:57

It's surprising what google throws up.

Hi Guys, I'm a Kiwi from NZ, I'm off to China next year, if all is going as planned, to spend a year or two doing TESOL teaching English. Currently looking at ChongQing.

Some years back while working as a salesman I bought a MGF, Wonderful little car, and since all the Rover and MG tech and building licences were bought by a chinese company, I was thinking while over there, possibly picking up a Rover MG-TF clone. I wasn't sure about build quality under chinese management, but reckoned it can't be any worse than British Leyland stuff!

So into google went "Chongqing Roewe buy car" and this forum thread was in the first page :D

Reading the forum seems to say the new MG iteration build qualities are pretty acceptable, maybe not up to Bentley and Rolls standards, but still quite competently done.

What I would love to have answered is What does a second hand MG go for in China? I don't think I would be able to get a new one off the showroom floor, I've only a slim budget that still has to fit shipping back when I finish over there and NZ road licencing.

Dallas 17th November 2010 22:12

If the Roewe never gets release over here, just wait a few years until they start to come over here in the grey import market. The strict MOT's and rigorous road tests over there makes theirs cars redundant after 5/6 years, we may get then eventually....... :}

.............. I'm sure Roelof can tell us a thing or two.....

Roelof 18th November 2010 02:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi303 (Post 619787)
Hi Guys, I'm a Kiwi from NZ, I'm off to China next year

What I would love to have answered is What does a second hand MG go for in China? I don't think I would be able to get a new one off the showroom floor, I've only a slim budget that still has to fit shipping back when I finish over there and NZ road licencing.

There are not yet many used Roewe or Mg's cars on the market since the cars are relatively new and Chinese normally don't change cars for many years (except for the rich, who are buying expensive cars as it were a bag of potatoes). The cheapest new Roewe 350 is around 17.750 New Zealand Dollars and the cheapest new MG3SW costs about 15.000 New Zealand Dollars.
If those cars would be available as second hand cars, the price would be about 60% of the new value after three years.

I have to warn you though: driving in China and especially in Chongqing is a crazy adventure and you also need to obtain a Chinese driving license before you are allowed to drive a car in China.
Getting a taxi is easy and cheap, as is public transport.

If you have specific questions, you can send me a private message in order not to mis-use this forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 616734)
感谢您友好的欢迎你. (thank you for your friendly welcome).
I will post photo's as soon as the weather will be nice (it is raining this week).
Regards, Roelof

At last I have found time to take some pictures (see the 20 pictures in my Image Gallery).
Please notice the licence plate (starts always with an "A" for the city of Chongqing): you will know how old I am.

It is a lot of fun to drive the MG7; really a very nice car (although I am not pushing too much yet for the first 1000 Km).

Always available to answer questions (if I know the answers).
Roelof

arjan_m 18th November 2010 09:45

Beautiful car, with the best colour there is.... :bowdown: (British Racing Green :D) and I see some modifications possible..... (Torpedo bages on the doors for example (1.8 Litre :D)

I like the MG7 grille, and can I see some minor differences with our 75/ZT (the automatic gear has a slight difference, as well as the leather seats).

How is the drive, I assume more comforty than sporty isn't it?

Congratulations again with this car! It's a real beauty!!

By the way; would it be possible to order (little) parts in China for our 75's/ZT's? As I don't know any adress in China of a MG dealer (which is quite good in English :D), maybe you could make some (first) contacts (if you want of course?)

Dallas 18th November 2010 21:10

Yes! some great photos of your car Roelof, I really like the rear light clusters and the front lights are pretty sexy too. ;) Its amazing to see actual photos of a Roewe that a fellow club member really owns..... :bowdown:

Kiwi303 21st November 2010 07:57

Nice car, the rear pillar merging into the boot makes me think american styling, looks very like some sedans from over there, overall it looks a swish car :D

The BRG colour scheme looks great!

pbaker 21st November 2010 20:11

mg7

hi all. how do I find Roelof's image gallery to his photo's thanks peter

Roelof 22nd November 2010 02:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbaker (Post 622390)
hi all. how do I find Roelof's image gallery to his photo's thanks peter

Go to image gallery, page 14, Roelof

Green&Blue 26th November 2010 08:45

Quote:

Well, I just joined the forum today, but have been driving my MG7 in Shenzhen since Oct '09. So, I guess I beat ya by more than a year :}.
It's got 22k+ on it now, and my only problem has been recalcitrant remote opening.
Otherwise, a roaring bargain of a car. Enjoy!

Roelof 27th November 2010 03:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green&Blue (Post 625206)
Well, I just joined the forum today, but have been driving my MG7 in Shenzhen since Oct '09. So, I guess I beat ya by more than a year :}.
It's got 22k+ on it now, and my only problem has been recalcitrant remote opening.
Otherwise, a roaring bargain of a car. Enjoy!

As per my initial title " am I the first GM7 owner on the forum?" , you have not beaten me! (I was the first on the forum)

But it is good to see that you have already over one year of experience with a MG7 in China and drove already 22.000 Km. with it without any serious problems!
I just have driven 1000 Km. and I hope that my MG7 will show similar performance as yours!
In January we will drive to Hainan (China's only tropical Island) to spent some time in Wenchang, where we have bought a holiday apartment. From Chongqing that will be about 2000 Km. (We have driven the distance already a few times with my old car).
I will report on it later.

Green&Blue 27th November 2010 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 625739)
As per my initial title " am I the first GM7 owner on the forum?" , you have not beaten me! (I was the first on the forum)

But it is good to see that you have already over one year of experience with a MG7 in China and drove already 22.000 Km. with it without any serious problems!
I just have driven 1000 Km. and I hope that my MG7 will show similar performance as yours!
In January we will drive to Hainan (China's only tropical Island) to spent some time in Wenchang, where we have bought a holiday apartment. From Chongqing that will be about 2000 Km. (We have driven the distance already a few times with my old car).
I will report on it later.

Hi. Technically correct, you were the first to buy an MG7 while a member of the forum. :) We've driven to HaiNan a couple of times actually, but it's only about 700km from SZ. One of those was to Sanya, so well over 800km. Both times did it stopping only for food & fuel. You probably know that the ferry is about 500RMB each way, and leaves when there's enough business on board. One time we waited 4.5 hrs.
The one thing that crops up is the remote locking/unlocking. Sometimes it just doesn't work. Doesn't bother me much. Other than that and a fuel hose leak on my first fill up, nada.
I remain unhappy with the handling, but will wait for wty expiry before doing anything (unless I run into a hot deal on suspension parts). The car is far better than SAIC's "luxury" suspension would lead one to believe.

Dallas 28th November 2010 22:15

Hey guys! Roelof and Green&Blue :D

This is totally off topic but does the Mitsubishi Delica D5 live up to its name in China, what about the earlier Delica 1986 onwards such as the Delica L400 ?

I've owned a few here in the UK, all grey imports (even the Toyota Hilux Surf) now thats a beast...... :bowdown:

Do you speak well of them ?

Regards Wes.

Roelof 30th November 2010 01:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 626922)
Hey guys! Roelof and Green&Blue :D

This is totally off topic but does the Mitsubishi Delica D5 live up to its name in China, what about the earlier Delica 1986 onwards such as the Delica L400 ?

I've owned a few here in the UK, all grey imports (even the Toyota Hilux Surf) now thats a beast...... :bowdown:

Do you speak well of them ?

Regards Wes.

The only models on the website of Mitsubishi China are the following models:
ASX, PAJERO, OUTLANDER EX, LANCER EVOLUTION, LANCER EX,
GRANDIS and ECLIPSE.
So, no Delica in China.:D

Robson Rover Repair 30th November 2010 08:20

Roelof, when you get the car, can you take some photos of the wheels?

The 16 inch hairpins interest me, and I suspect some of the owners with small brakes too as they are very stylish.

Aven 26th December 2010 03:48

Glad to see more MG7 owner here..:biggrinsanta:

Robson Rover Repair 7th February 2011 20:24

How do you find the car now you had it some time?

Roelof 19th February 2011 01:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin_NI (Post 668357)
How do you find the car now you had it some time?

I have now 5500 Km on the Odometer and I have enjoyed every Km.
It is a real pleasure to drive the car, specially on longer distances.
Last months we drove 1600 Km from Chongqing to Wenchang (on the tropical island Hainan) where we have a holiday appartment.
No problem in two days (one night in a hotel in Nanning, 1000 Km from Chongqing) and I have not been tired at all. Drivingspeed on the expressways: 120 km where possible and 80 (if possible) on two parts of 180 Km each on local highways (two lanes, with tri-cycles, motorbikes, sometimes cows, etc). From Hai'an on the mainland, we took the car ferry (1,5 hrs.) to Haikou on Hainan.
Now we are touring the island for sightseeing and mid March we will return to our home in Chongqing.
The only problem with the car was a small accident caused by a car driving backwards from a parking lot, while I was just passing on the road. His fault of course and he admitted that as well.
But then, the procedure in China is not like in Europe, where this kind of issues is being settled between the two insurance companies. Here you can call the police and have the car inspected for the amount of the damage. Then the guilty party is paying you first to have it repaired and then claims it from his insurance company.
Since we only had minor damage (a scratch), we settled (without police interference, but with tough negotiations with the driver, his family and the local public) for 600 RMB (56 UK pound), which is more than enough to have it repaired at home. (labor is still very cheap).
The other car had severe damage: the rear bumper was torn and partially broke off and the left backlight was crushed. MG versus Toyota: 1-0
Since uploading pictures here is complicated (only from a URL), I will add two pictures in my photo gallery.

Jakg 19th February 2011 07:35

The gallery - http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...mages&id=12610

Tatts 19th February 2011 08:01

I do like the look of the seats, look modern and comfortable.

johnny english 19th February 2011 22:46

Hi Roelof
welcome to the club, love the car its so british bet you feel proud
i have only one question how much is fuel in china diesel here is 1.33 per litre and petrol 1.28 per ltr (approx) shame about the shunt. I have a feeling that you are likely to become one of our most popular members please keep posting
all news is good news
b.f.n.

Reebs 19th February 2011 23:43

Warning Picture Heavy

And here are the pictures in full

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c0f6c8edc.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c45050c24.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c4501befd.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c58ded22a.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c58dba322.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c58e27f07.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c5d46620d.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c5d436847.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c5d404a70.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c61e72b93.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c61e41cef.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c61ea0560.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c66eb52ac.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c66ee37ed.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c66f1cda3.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c6b3a6327.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c6b378b7b.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c6b3492c9.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c6db4a55f.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4c6db78d8e.jpg

Banjo 20th February 2011 08:37

I am in two minds about the chrome trim in the MG grill - looks nice, yet is it too BMW - ish ?

Roelof 20th February 2011 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny english (Post 676618)
Hi Roelof
welcome to the club, love the car its so british bet you feel proud
i have only one question how much is fuel in china diesel here is 1.33 per litre and petrol 1.28 per ltr (approx) shame about the shunt. I have a feeling that you are likely to become one of our most popular members please keep posting
all news is good news
b.f.n.

Petrol in China is approx. 7.8 RMB/Ltr. (=0.73 UK pound.) Diesel is a little bit less expensive and is not very popular for private use.

Robson Rover Repair 20th February 2011 20:16

Beautiful car my friend, the whole car looks perfect.

RoverAlicante 20th February 2011 22:14

I want one!

Roelof 25th March 2011 08:23

Back home again

Last week we drove back from our holiday apartment on the Chinese tropical island of Hainan to our house in Chongqing in the usual two days (1550 Km.).We had prepared sandwiches, coffee, thee and Coca-Cola to avoid the dirty and not very good road-restaurants (if you find any at all).
Although we had a longer waiting time for the Ferry from Hainan to the mainland than normal, we had a good trip to our hotel in Nanning where we arrived at 06.00 pm.
In China it is not evident when new roads are open (lack of communication, no good road maps and the GPS is not always up-to-date), but we had a pleasant surprise when, 10 Km after the Ferry, we found a new Expressway connecting to the Expressway to Nanning, bridging the 180 Km. old highway which is guiding you through many small towns and heavy local traffic. What a relief!
We enjoyed a nice dinner and a good night in the hotel (4-stars, 21 pound Sterling/night), getting up again at 5.30 am. We hit the road at 6.00 am. for the remaining 1005 Km. to Chongqing. No breakfast (which was included in the price, but that was only served as from 7.30 am), but we had new hot thee and coffee in our thermos and some fresh breads we bought the previous night.
All went well, also the 180 Km. two-lane highway through the mountains. Not too many cars (it was early) and not many trucks because of Sunday). We hope that next time we can use the new Expressway which is under construction to bridge this 180 Km. as well.
The MG7 was driving very well, many Km. on the cruise control with a speed of 125 Km./Hr (120 Km/Hr speed limit with many camera’s); I have not been tired for one moment.
The minor damage (scratch, caused by a stupid Chinese driver) I wrote about the previous time, has been repaired already and the car is as good as new. The cost was only 32 UK pounds, so I even made a small profit.
The ODO meter now shows 8700 Km.; soon going for the 10.000 Km. oil change etc. (I have to follow the schedule as per the maintenance book in order to keep the three-year guarantee).
Our next big trip will be in May together with my oldest daughter and her husband and daughter from the Netherlands, who will visit us for a couple of weeks.

Carter67 2nd May 2011 02:08

@Roelof Congrats on your new car. They new builds look awesome.

I want one Pity you guys drive on the wrong side of the road tho.

I Hope eventually all models are sold in europe and the ones being built for the euro market are built in Longbridge where they should be.

STUBIE 2nd May 2011 08:38

How many speeds has you auto box got, look like a different one from the one fitted to the UK 75.

Stubs

Anthony & Maricel 2nd May 2011 11:25

I want one love it, what a nice car in brg that paint just looks so lush. :D

STUBIE 2nd May 2011 14:10

Just notices 1.8 Turbo with cruise which Rover didn't offer - can anyone tell me why not?

Stubs

Roelof 20th May 2011 03:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by STUBIE (Post 716750)
How many speeds has you auto box got, look like a different one from the one fitted to the UK 75.

Stubs

The automatic gearbox is a:
ASIN Tiptronic 10 model smart five-speed automated manual transmission
One can drive fully automatic or shift gears manually (without clutch)

Roelof 31st October 2011 01:08

One year later.....

It is one year ago since I bought my MG7 and I thought it would be time to post my opinion about driving this car.

I have driven just over 20.000 Km and went twice to the dealer for 10.000 Km service (more frequent that in Europe, due to sometimes bad roads and a dusty and hot environment). The total costs were 556 RMB (55 pound sterling). No other costs for maintenance or breakdowns.
Except for a few scratches caused by a a stupid Chinese driver, I had absolutely no problems during this year.
To drive the car is still a pleasure, like it has been from the very beginning.
The car looks as new, as coming directly from the showroom.

In short: I am very satisfied and am looking forward to continue driving for another year (or more).

NB: In Europe I was driving a Rover 75 Connoisseur, BMW 525, Mercedes 300 (the last two were company cars).
Driving the Rover 75 and now the MG7 was/is much more fun than with the two German cars!

danmayberry 31st October 2011 07:47

very nice roelof,good to see the spirit of rover living on ;)

starbug2 31st October 2011 08:07

any photos of your car ? the ones i have seen for the car in general look nice to me :drool4:

danmayberry 31st October 2011 13:04

Look up roelof in image gallery

Green&Blue 31st October 2011 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 839746)
It is one year ago since I bought my MG7 and I thought it would be time to post my opinion about driving this car.

I have driven just over 20.000 Km and went twice to the dealer for 10.000 Km service (more frequent that in Europe, due to sometimes bad roads and a dusty and hot environment). The total costs were 556 RMB (55 pound sterling). No other costs for maintenance or breakdowns.
Except for a few scratches caused by a a stupid Chinese driver, I had absolutely no problems during this year.

In short: I am very satisfied and am looking forward to continue driving for another year (or more).

NB: In Europe I was driving a Rover 75 Connoisseur, BMW 525, Mercedes 300 (the last two were company cars).
Driving the Rover 75 and now the MG7 was/is much more fun than with the two German cars!

My MG7 now has 2yrs and about 43k on it. Almost all of that in Shenzhen. All Roelof's comments jive with mine except I would modify his quote as "... (quite) a few scratches caused by a (quite) a (few)stupid Chinese driver(s)". They are legion... :shrug:

The car has been bullet-proof outside of a couple of burned out rear lamps. I continue to dislike the "driving a sofa" feel, and the remote opening remains an annoyance, but I am happy to report that the car feels and drives as new, and remains one of the best car purchases I have ever made.
Alas, its immediate predecessors were much more fun (Porsche 964 & modified MGB). I still have the MGB so whenever I return to the "home country" I get a chance to do some "bit in your teeth" motoring!

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 839746)

My MG7 now has 2yrs and about 43k on it. Almost all of that in Shenzhen. All Roelof's comments jive with mine except I would modify his quote as "... (quite) a few scratches caused by a (quite) a (few)stupid Chinese driver(s)". They are legion... :shrug:

The car has been bullet-proof outside of a couple of burned out rear lamps. I continue to dislike the "driving a sofa" feel, and the remote opening remains an annoyance, but I am happy to report that the car feels and drives as new, and remains one of the best car purchases I have ever made.
Alas, its immediate predecessors were much more fun (Porsche 964 & modified MGB). I still have the MGB so whenever I return to the "home country" I get a chance to do some "bit in your teeth" motoring!

Cheers

arjan_m 31st October 2011 19:34

They really sound like a good build quality Rover 75 (or MG 7 as you call them). Even your description "driving a sofa" is exactly what I love in the 7(5). Smooth driving, smooth seats and beautifull looks.....:D

And remote opening was a problem with the 75's overhere also, I believe you can find a "how-to" to fix that. At least if you mean that the range of the remote control is quite bad.

It's good to hear that you both are very satisfied with the MG's, and yes I'm a bit jealous that we can't buy a new one over here..... :rolleyes:

Roelof 12th November 2012 02:40

This is an update after driving my MG7 for two years in China.
The car has now 36.000 Km on the ODO meter and has been three times to the garage for regular maintenance. Total maintenace costs, incl. oil etc. was 823 RMB (83 UK Pound).
After a few bumpy rides on country side roads, where the car was hit severely (luckily without damage), I decided to have a protective shield mounted under the motor compartment for 650 RMB ( 65 UK pounds). I also bought new mats, because the original onces had a whole in it from the heel of my right shoe (750 RMB for very nice set of MG mats, matching the interior).
Gas milage over the two years, with 60% short distances, was about 10.8 ltr/100 Km, which I find good, considering that I am an agressive driver (after traffic lights I am at least 50 meter ahead of the others).
The car looks and drives as if it was new and I am really happy with my MG7 and I am looking forward to drive it for a very long time.

woolleysox 14th November 2012 07:34

I thought the mg7 had the premium bumper or is that available as an option. It does look good even the seats look better than the Rover75seats. As already stated I think it would have sold well in GB infact better than the MG6 is at present. Goog luck to MG lets hope it eventually does well in good old GB.

Robson Rover Repair 15th November 2012 23:04

Thats the MG7L your thinking of, the limo version of the MG7.

http://i2.sinaimg.cn/qc/ul/2007/0927...0927094012.jpg

mg7l is facelift limo, mg7 is mk1 saloon basicially.

carlpenn 17th November 2012 08:42

Wow, only just found this Thread and love the MG7 look. Not too keen on the Wheels, but the rest of the Car is yummy. :D

Roelof 8th May 2013 06:17

First "problem" after 2,5 years

Yesterday I had a small accident: I backed up while looking in my mirrors and on my rear camera screen. Unfortunately I did not see that there was a big step down of approximately 40 cm. I heard a very hard scraping sound when I went over the ridge and the back wheels were not touching ground anymore. Since I was alone and I saw nobody around, I tried to pull out while steering sidewards and, very slowly, I succeeded with a terrible scraping noice. When inspecting the step down, made from stone (like going down from a high side walk to street level) I saw that many stones had come off. I really was afraid that I had damaged my car badly!
When driving away carefully in the beginning, I noticed nothing wrong and after picking up speed, all seemed to be fine.
Just to be sure I had the car inspected by the MG workshop and we saw that only a heatshield (protecting the car from the exhaust pipe) was partially ripped off. Except for a few surficial scratches, no other damage could be detected! The replacement of the heat shield and the inspection was 300 yuan (about 30 Pound Sterling). I left as a very happy man and was grateful for this strong car!

Melvin 8th May 2013 17:00

Damn i like that chrome grill and the heater panel with the new display and the shifter plate!!:D

Where can i order.... :drool4::shrug:

Thomas 8th May 2013 20:10

The heater panel has been fitted by members before as well as the grille ;)

arjan_m 8th May 2013 21:15

Would love to have that heater panel as well!
But what is the part number, and indeed... Where could you order them?

Ford Prefect 10th May 2013 10:21

This looks so like a 75..

are spares available? like the IPK (instrument panel) as yours appeaers to have the same dispaly as mine which has lines in it. I would be very interetsted in finding about the diagnostic system they plug into the car, as its about time they became avaialbe from china, and in fact I am very mystified as to why they have not, it's about time a cheap T4 from china became avaiable!

daniluvsuall 27th June 2013 15:47

Your car is stunning, I am very jealous.

As others have said I'd like that heater panel too :D

TheSamPeople 6th July 2013 21:29

I really would like that Grill, its rather gorgeous IMO :)

Gate Keeper 9th July 2013 20:28

Thanks for keeping us up to date. A lovely looker :)

P63500S 10th July 2013 20:08

I wonder how much the mg7 cost on the used car market? Wasn't so long ago we were getting jap spec cars imported, I would fancy mg 7 spec import.:drool4:

MrDoodles 10th July 2013 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by P63500S (Post 1358750)
I wonder how much the mg7 cost on the used car market? Wasn't so long ago we were getting jap spec cars imported, I would fancy mg 7 spec import.:drool4:

They'll be cheap, especially as they're Left Hand Drive only! ;)

doopydug 31st January 2014 12:44

I have some friends in China that I may be visiting this year - I might pop to an MG dealership and have a look

They said that if I need any parts, they can ship them out to me no problem

DaveyC 31st January 2014 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydug (Post 1559577)
I have some friends in China that I may be visiting this year - I might pop to an MG dealership and have a look

ATC control panel is a great upgrade and I would love one :D

Sorry I forgot to add a pic

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...7_CC_Panel.jpg

doopydug 31st January 2014 14:06

OOOHHHH - shiny !

I like too

DaveyC 31st January 2014 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydug (Post 1559649)
OOOHHHH - shiny !

I like too

I got quoted about £300 new from China. If you could only find a good breaker yard.......... :D

doopydug 31st January 2014 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyC (Post 1559652)
I got quoted about £300 new from China. If you could only find a good breaker yard.......... :D

GULP :eek:

Number 6 31st January 2014 15:06

Still cant find the PICTURES:shrug:

doopydug 31st January 2014 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 1559705)
Still cant find the PICTURES:shrug:

Go back to post 64 or here - http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...mages&id=12610

pbaker 9th February 2014 11:21

mg7

Will Roelof or some one else please translate the boot script on lds of boot lid. seen in post 64. thanks peter.

Dart2050 9th February 2014 13:36

Wow, I always thought the chrome looked good, put in a V6, ZT seats and wheels, then this would be my ideal car! Lovely.....

Roelof 23rd March 2014 07:54

Three years later.....

It has been a long time ago that I have written about my MG7. So, time for an update.
Last November I had my car for three years; end of the warranty period. Before the deadline I had asked the garage for a complete inspection and, of course, I had searched myself as well for defects. Result: nothing found worth to be mentioned (a few minor scratches on the lacquer). Costs of the inspection and maintenance (oil change) was 285 RMB (approx. 28 UK Pound).
For the winter we drove, as usual, to our winter residence on the island of Hainan and are now back on Chongqing since a couple of weeks.
I saw, after coming back that the front tyres were too much worn out, so I had them replaced with Michelin tyres (2 tyres: 1800 RMB = 175 UK Pound incl. mounting and balancing).
The originally mounted Goodyears did not cause any problem, but I prefer the Michelins.
The total distance driven was 52.000 Km., which would not be very good in Europe, but here, with many bad roads, it is a good performance. The tyres on the rear wheels will need to be replaced in about 6 months, I think.
The car looks like new, since I did not have any accidents and because the car is being washed by hand inside out, including under the hood (no carwash streets in China, labor is still cheap: 25 RMB = 2.45 UK Pound per wash).
Maybe I will have it polished in the near future.

I used to change car every three years, but I still like this MG7 very much and, with now only 53.000 Km. (32.933 Miles) on the Odometer, I will continue using it for the next few years.

doopydug 23rd March 2014 08:09

Wonderful story - xiexie ni !

Roelof 23rd March 2014 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbaker (Post 1569964)
Will Roelof or some one else please translate the boot script on lds of boot lid. seen in post 64. thanks peter.

The Chinese writing on the back translates into "Nanjing MG".
Nanjing is the place where the MG7 was made.

arjan_m 23rd March 2014 11:25

Great to hear that the '7' is great car as well!

Looking forward hearing more of your experiences! :D

Alan_G 23rd March 2014 12:11

Glad your still enjoying your car, thanks for the update ans keep enjoying it!

pbaker 24th March 2014 15:15

translation

Thanks Roelof for the translation. peter.

Seafrost 25th March 2014 20:15

Made for fantastic reading this evening, and the pictures are great.

Any chance you could post some pictures of the engine bay? Roelof

Excellent car.

Robson Rover Repair 26th March 2014 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 1616314)
The Chinese writing on the back translates into "Nanjing MG".
Nanjing is the place where the MG7 was made.

Hello mate, glad you still have the car.

Tell me, does the mg7 allow youto change the auto box gears by choice, sequential flicking the gears up and down?

YorksMG2013 27th March 2014 06:26

MG7 ATC control panel

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydug (Post 1559577)

Doopy maybe if you ask your friends in China about this item, we could arrange a group buy?

Andrew

Roelof 1st April 2014 04:50

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 75tourerSE (Post 1619180)
Made for fantastic reading this evening, and the pictures are great.

Any chance you could post some pictures of the engine bay? Roelof

Excellent car.

Have a look in the attachement.

While cleaning up my computer files, I noticed this old link which motivated me to buying my MG7.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...s/nac-mg7-1.8t

woolleysox 2nd April 2014 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 1626630)
While cleaning up my computer files, I noticed this old link which motivated me to buying my MG7.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...s/nac-mg7-1.8t

Hi Roelof. You should bring your MG 7 to the pride of Longbridge it would be the star of the show:drool4::drool4: . How I wish they were available in Britain I'm sure many others also wish they were available ::D

Please keep,us update.

Best wishes. Rob.

Nick Vass 2nd February 2015 20:07

How is your car?

Quote:

JB Tourer 5th February 2015 03:41

Zed the Ted is in China

If you would like to meet up with Zed before he goes back drop me aline. I spend most of my time between Shenzhen and Qingdao, but could always pop in to see you somewhere. all the best, JB

Roelof 16th October 2015 05:48

In two weeks, I will have my MG7 for 5 years.
I will not include pictures because they would look exactly like the first pictures I posted 5 years ago.
The bodywork has some minor chippings which I treated with a touch-up pen.

The ODO meter now reads 72453 Km, a very moderate milage compared to my years in Europe (75000 Km/year).
Maintenance cost during 5 years have been low: 488 UK pound (incl.oil)
In addition I have spent money on replacing the heatshield under the exhaust pipe (30 UK pound, my own fault), 4 new tyres (150 UK pound), a protective shield under the motor (65 UK pound) and new floor mats (75 UK pound).
One time my car was hit by somebody else and the damage was 38 UK pound, paid by the assurance.

The car still drives like new and is looking great!
Since this car has not been sold in large quantities (certainly not in Chongqing where I live), it always attracts the eye from many people.
The elegant and classic look is only to be compared to some much more expensive cars (like Jaguar).
I am still happy with my car and I intend to drive it for much longer.
:}

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin_NI (Post 1620382)

Hello mate, glad you still have the car.

Tell me, does the mg7 allow youto change the auto box gears by choice, sequential flicking the gears up and down?

Yes, it is possible to shift the stick of the automatic gearbox to manual and then change the gear by shifting the stick forward or backward.

arjan_m 29th August 2016 09:29

Hi Roelof,

Long time ago, but I am curious :D

Are you still owning the MG7?
Do you have any new pictures / stories?
How's the quality?

Roelof 14th October 2016 06:38

Time flies !

Again one year has passed since my last message and I am still driving my MG7. It is now almost 6 years ago that I was the new, proud owner of this car and to be honest, I still feel that way!
The car never has let me down, even on the dusty, bumpy roads, full of potholes.
Motorways have been extended and have improved over the years and many drivers have some experience now, so it is less dangerous than before.
The MG now has 780040 Km on the ODO meter, had all the maintenace according to the book (some things more frequent because of the hot and dusty conditions in China). Costs remain extremely low; the biggest expense was a new battery (495 RMB = 60 Bristish Pounds) because I let it in the car for two months without using it (while I was in Europe). Normally I disconnect it during a long absence.
Although there are some small scratches on the lacker (which I treated with a lacker pencil), the car looks almost as new and it certainly drives as new.
In short: I am a happy driver and I intend to keep the car for the years to come.

Simondi 14th October 2016 06:49

Great news, you have a pm

geofftl1000r 14th October 2016 23:51

Hi Roelof,
Thanks for keeping us up to date on the MG7. Might have to try and find one for a test drive next time we are over.

Just noticed you are in Chongqing. We have an apartment there, not been lived in for 9+years and looked a bit worse for it when we visited a year ago.:duh:

starbug2 15th October 2016 07:30

if the 7 is as good as a 3 ;-) as i have one of them :}

Ravinder 24th October 2016 18:32

Looks great.

Roelof 4th December 2016 03:51

Let me know when you will be in Chongqing; maybe we could meet.

Astronom 4th December 2016 08:05

Hi Roeloff,
I was thrilled reading that you bought this car and would be very interested in details. Of course, since I live in Germany conditions may be different, but anyway, I would make a start in getting information.
Thanks in advance1

Astronom

Roelof 30th July 2018 01:05

Good Bye !

This is my last post.
We will move back to Europe and unfortunately it will not be possible to take my MG7 with me.
I will not sell it; my stepdaughter is happy that she can use it as long as she wants.
The MG7 is almost 8 years old and has 95.000 Km on the ODO meter.
Except for some mini-scratches, the car looks almost as new, also on the inside.
When I would make pictures, they would look the same as the pictures I made when I bought it.
The car has never let me down and it is still a pleasure to drive it, specially on the motorway.
Maintenance costs have been extremely low; only normal service, tyres, brake pads and floor mats.
I don't know yet what car I will buy when I will be back in Europe, but I am thinking about a Lexus IS 300h.
I want to thank all the people who have written comments and questions and I wish you all the best for the future!:}

Simondi 30th July 2018 08:40

Hi

Thanks for the message and update:D

paulonsite 30th July 2018 10:07

Is it bad that...

...I really want a Roewe 75, even though I still love my Zed? am I basically about to start an affair? :D

I really hope the 750 in some form does make it to the UK, I would buy one straight away - a brand new 75!!!!!!! OK, not made in Cowley, and with parts and fit imitating the last gasp of post-project drive, but STILL :drool4:

Mgaz 31st July 2018 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulonsite (Post 2655065)
...I really want a Roewe 75, even though I still love my Zed? am I basically about to start an affair? :D

I really hope the 750 in some form does make it to the UK, I would buy one straight away - a brand new 75!!!!!!! OK, not made in Cowley, and with parts and fit imitating the last gasp of post-project drive, but STILL :drool4:

Production finished in 2016 didn't it?

myrover2013 1st August 2018 20:05

oh please send over the new 75 from china, you could make a killing

searover 1st November 2018 08:37

Roelof, please pm to me (your box is full)