The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Crank turned backwards by mobile mechanic (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291080)

Bruno 17th December 2018 18:22

Crank turned backwards by mobile mechanic

A mobile mechanic to remove the failed auxiliary belt behind the crank pulley put a big spanner on the pulley and wound it backwards. The BMW 320 had been running ok with out the belts before but after would not start. Talking to my garage they say a write off yet only done 120 k and regularly returned nearly 50 mpg. Do you think garage right as so sad to loose. My present motor is a V6 of same vintage returning half the mpg.

COLVERT 17th December 2018 19:22

If only the auxiliary belt was broken then turning the engine backwards should do no harm to it. All the internal moving parts will simply move as they should do.

stevestrat 17th December 2018 20:36

I can't see how hand turning the engine in the wrong direction is going to do any damage. When you say would not start what do you mean, won't turn over, won't fire, what?

Mike Noc 17th December 2018 21:35

On some chain driven diesel engines it can be a problem - IIRC Mercedes Benz had non ratchet hydraulic tensioners on the cam chains on some engines, and if turned backwards all the slack built up in the wrong place allowing the chain to jam or the valves to hit the pistons.

Haven't heard of any similar problems with the M47R, and I'd be amazed if there were given there are two separate timing chains on our engines, but if the OP has been told similar damage has occurred then worth carrying out a compression test.

Devilish 18th December 2018 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno (Post 2695148)
A mobile mechanic to remove the failed auxiliary belt behind the crank pulley.

Done this myself, if it started before, and not after, the mechanic has forgot something, or damaged something. How does a garage say it is a write off.

Number 6 18th December 2018 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilish (Post 2695272)
Done this myself, if it started before, and not after, the mechanic has forgot something, or damaged something. How does a garage say it is a write off.

If it is something the "Mechanic" has done and damaged the engine then I would be after the "Mechanic" to sort it out at his cost.......:xmas-smiley-008:

bl52krz 18th December 2018 16:35

Errr. Why did he turn the crank backwards/ forwards to change the auxiliary belt? Are you correct in your statement, or is it an assumption?

Devilish 18th December 2018 17:58

I have done it before, many times, last time on a M47, every time I tried to move the tensioner with the spanner, it come loose, so I wound the belt on turning the crank. Don't know why the mech would turn it opposite to its normal rotation. I always believed, the M47 chain tensioner is capable of allowing the crank to be turned in the opposite direction, otherwise the cam would chatter in normal rotation.

COLVERT 18th December 2018 18:07

If the broken belt was jammed behind the pulley then maybe the only way to release it was to turn the pulley in the opposite direction.---:icon_question:

kaiser 18th December 2018 18:09

I agree. And I cannot see any ill effect from that either.