The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Badges and CA (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305323)

davidbooker 1st June 2020 14:58

Badges and CA

Hi - are badges (old AA etc) allowed to be used on newer cars with collision avoidance radar? My 75 has lovely badges which I think look very smart, and are often commented on. My daily driver is a Hyundai i30 1.4 turbo, which would benefit from a couple of badges on it's rather plain grille, provided they don't interfere with the radar. What do you think?

Many thanks.

roverbarmy 1st June 2020 15:54

I've had a set of badges on all my Rovers (despite folks telling me that it will affect the cooling and cause head gasket failure-tripe!).:duh::getmecoat: Enjoy your badges with pride.;) From what I've read, collision avoidance radar is more trouble than it is worth. Another toy for drivers who can't!

BRG75 1st June 2020 16:48

Another toy for drivers who can't!

Sums up my views, precisely.

Mike

simondhopkins 1st June 2020 19:42

If you can't see a car infront stopping, pretty sure you shouldn't be driving.

Personally I feel the whole radar thing is making drivers more lazy, god forbid they go back to a car without it and wonder why they hit the car in front as the car they're driving didn't hit the brakes.

bl52krz 1st June 2020 21:41

My son is a tanker driver, and he say’s they are dangerous. When he is going up a m/way at 55 mph with only three ‘pot’s half full, and a car cut across in front of him to get off at a junction, he said he went on his merry with the fuel sloshing backwards and forwards because of the paper hat that cut him up because of leaving his manoeuvre to leave the m/way to late. He wonders how many accidents have been caused in like incidents.

Ched 1st June 2020 22:32

We have crash avoidance in our Merc trucks, on 2 different occasions with me it has picked up a traffic island and slammed the brakes on, frightened the hell out of me as I didn't know what on earth was happening, and with 44 tonnes behind...

Now we have them turned off, only one thing should be in control of a vehicle, and thats the driver.

The Rovering Member 2nd June 2020 02:59

Same here, the pesky things pick up a bend sometimes & slam the brakes on. Blinking trucks are too clever for their own good these days.

coolguy 2nd June 2020 09:11

With greater mechanical reliability. and no rust ?problems killing off cars, manufacturers have to find ways of keeping us coming back for repairs, so they load us up with gadgets we don't want! Keyless entry is my favourite - won't buy a car with it.

davidbooker 2nd June 2020 11:35

Thanks for your views on CA, and I agree that it could be a hindrance. In fact, mine has never seemingly worked since I bought the car 16000 miles ago. The service manager at my garage assured me that it does work, and tested it by making what he described as a very late braking manoeuvre! I suppose young and inexperienced drivers may routinely benefit from it, or any one of us on an 'off' day!

Actually, what I asked was whether or not metal badges mounted on the grille could interfere with CA, not its relative pros and cons. Many thanks.