The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What have you just discovered that you should have found out years ago? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300477)

MissMoppet 2nd November 2019 15:14

What have you just discovered that you should have found out years ago?

Confession time.
For 6 years I've run my R75 Tourer with the AUTO button on as the handbook says that is the simplest way, till I've recently learned that the ECON button should - possibly - be labled AIRCON. I will now only use it in the summer. That could possibly be why I had to have the compressor changed last month. (A rare event I believe).
But how about you?

Dave

Odd Job 2nd November 2019 16:57

I quickly found out that having the econ button pressed and displayed disengages the A/C compressor. I get the whooshing noise and it sounds strained, so it will remain off until Artic can work his magic next year and get my fan working.

I do have a hand book with my ZT, but i'm a more of a "What does this button do?" type of bloke!

macafee2 2nd November 2019 17:30

come winter and misted windows you will want to turn the aircon on as it helps demist.

macafee2

clf 2nd November 2019 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2772855)
Confession time.
For 6 years I've run my R75 Tourer with the AUTO button on as the handbook says that is the simplest way, till I've recently learned that the ECON button should - possibly - be labled AIRCON. I will now only use it in the summer. That could possibly be why I had to have the compressor changed last month. (A rare event I believe).
But how about you?

Dave

ECON button is NOT aircon. (I may have misread your post though). In wet damp weather, I use the aircon on, by switching OFF the ECON, and switching to feet and windscreen, at my desired temp, with a low fan speed. This will help to prevent the windows steaming up. With ECON on, which I do use frequently (I drive with the window cracked often) the windows can and do steam up, but still use the same settings as with aircon.

Rich in Vancouver 2nd November 2019 21:04

I generally use the econ button as my A/C compressor is noisy and I would rather not have to change it until absolutely necessary.
(I take it changing the compressor on a 190 is bumper off and rad out?)

SideValve 2nd November 2019 21:11

Just out of interest why does the aircon help the demist?
I thought it only provided cooler than ambient air.

Things I should have realised years ago?
We're doomed! (c) Dads Army 1968

minty2 2nd November 2019 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideValve (Post 2772937)
Just out of interest why does the aircon help the demist?
I thought it only provided cooler than ambient air.

Things I should have realised years ago?
We're doomed! (c) Dads Army 1968

Aircon air is both drier and cooler and so as the cabin is de-humidified, the drier air accelerates evaporation of the small droplets that mist up the glass. I generally leave my climate control on auto and find it keeps the windscreen and side windows free of condensation regardless of how damp it is outside.

Terryf 2nd November 2019 21:47

I can't remember ever taking my aircon off auto since I bought it in February 2004. I know it has been occasionally when in for service, but it has gone straight back on when collected. :D:D:D

Les4048 3rd November 2019 05:40

One of the worst things you can do is run on Econ as the air con is off and the seals will dry out eventually. Run it on Auto all the time, it’s Climate Control anyway not air con so leave it on and it’ll sort itself out. I personally never turn mine off on any of my cars and every car I’ve owned since 2003 has had climate control

jonc3725 3rd November 2019 08:26

Leave AC on all year round and just regulate your temp.

AC is Air Conditioning so not only is it about temp but also about cleaning and more importantly drying via the evaporator.

Compressors nowadays don't use that much more juice and the cabin is a better place to be. Also better for the whole AC system:D