The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Headlight Petition (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=327583)

bl52krz 7th April 2024 23:48

Headlight Petition

Well, well, Well. Much to the chagrin of those who scoffed about the petition about dazzle from car headlights being a waste of time, perhaps you have missed the bus. I am at this moment watching a programme about the very fact that the government are taking steps already about this very subject.
Like I have always said to those non believers of doing anything about any subject they object to, have a little more get up and go.

One type of person that irks my ire, are those who just mumble, ‘ wweeelll, what can you do?’. Well, just get off your backside and do something. Gt Britain is going down the pan because of this type of attitude. Please believe in yourself a bit more people.

Canonite 8th April 2024 14:20

Britain hasn’t been ‘Great’ for a long, long time.
The decline will continue, taking with it any last remnant of Britishness that existed.

macafee2 8th April 2024 15:44

what is the program called?

macafee2

bl52krz 8th April 2024 16:54

Hi Ian. It was on one of the talk shows last night at 12-10. They were saying that the government is taking notice of the petition on dazzling headlights on cars. They are doing it with Europe, I suppose because most of the cars come from Europe. They are having the same problem with dazzle in Europe as we are. So it is a recognised condition, not something to do with the older brigade doing all the moaning. We shall see what comes of it.From what I have read about it, there are going to be new regulations on a similar system that we already have on our cars, I.e. the headlamp levelling system. If it is, I don’t think it will cure the problem. The lights have to much ‘spray’ on them.

StewartIngram 8th April 2024 18:32

In the old days of filament bulbs, there was a build spec specified, quite simply, as 55W. (I think that was the figure). When leds came in, I never saw anywhere a build spec that corelates with leds, has anyone? If you fitted 55w leds in your headlamp, I dread to think how bright they would be; the same rule applies to other lamps , think about a 21w brake light, or more relevant, a 5w sidelight (aka a drl equivalent?).
That is just the power o/p of the bulb, leds have a different beam pattern. How many of us have not spotted flashers being used because we are viewing fromthe wrong angle? The light pattern angle of an led is quite a narrow beam as opposed to a filament bulb.

torque2me 9th April 2024 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by StewartIngram (Post 2993269)
In the old days of filament bulbs, there was a build spec specified, quite simply, as 55W. (I think that was the figure). When leds came in, I never saw anywhere a build spec that corelates with leds, has anyone? If you fitted 55w leds in your headlamp, I dread to think how bright they would be; the same rule applies to other lamps , think about a 21w brake light, or more relevant, a 5w sidelight (aka a drl equivalent?).
That is just the power o/p of the bulb, leds have a different beam pattern. How many of us have not spotted flashers being used because we are viewing from the wrong angle? The light pattern angle of an led is quite a narrow beam as opposed to a filament bulb.

You are correct on the 55W for full beam but was formalised as 55w/37.5w (i.e. 37.5w for dipped). Also when we were an independent nation with BS requirements we had a minimum/maximum height for lights. One of the reasons for dazzle today is that SUV's in the majority have lights higher but their projection seems not to have had the angle depressed to compensate for that extra height. Mk.1 Range Rover never gave dazzle issues due to it adhering to UK standards when launched. LED lighting is also giving similar oncoming dazzle results as the the beam is much, much narrower.

I've signed many "open letters" and petitions on this subject over the last 20 years (the original petition emanated in the USA) with no result. It would be nice if the issue is taken more seriously but I'm thinking 'lip service' is more likely.
Kev

Lagetha 9th April 2024 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonite (Post 2993237)
The decline will continue, taking with it any last remnant of Britishness that existed.

It is my understanding that Great Britain is the name of the island which contains contiguously the majority of England, Scotland and Wales... It is by far the largest of the British Isles, which despite the name, has nothing to do with nationality or superiority over other nations or peoples. :}

xsport 9th April 2024 12:28

I doubt there will be any changes soon. If there are through MOT .. there you will wait until MOT time on new vehicles. So years to wait there ! The gov has sat back and let this happen for years , ignorance of the issue .. NO . Probably themselves driving an SUV themselves. If MOT laws change , it will not be backdated to cars produced before this date as they left the factory quite legally. Same rules apply to no seat belts and trafficators etc , they were legal upon the fact that they were produced from new. Recalls .. no , out of the question. I would agree with the above post of " lip service " as being the eventual outcome .

Geoff130 9th April 2024 18:14

One thing that seems to have been overlooked is that the old H4 type lamps had the filament aligned in the direction of the car and gave off virtually no light forward and were placed at the focal point of the reflector so all the light was formed into a beam and could be aimed correctly. LED's give off light from a flat chip that is often placed at the back of a suposed reflector but most of the light just goes out forwards (especially DRL's) the only chance of any controlled beam is to put the LED chip in the focal point of a reflector facing rearwards or to use a projector stlye lens system.

Having said that, as others have pointed out, putting them on vans and SUVs at eye level to oncoming cars will make any beam patern irrelevant.

Devilish 9th April 2024 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonite (Post 2993237)

Sad but how very true.