The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Powerfold judder when closing (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319177)

Forestgreen 16th May 2022 20:36

Powerfold judder when closing

A few months ago my left powerfold (bullets I guess - 2002 car) started an annoying juddering when it was folded back in. For around half a minute after pressing the button, it would fold but then keep juddering as though something hadn't recognised it had gone as far in as it could go and was continuing to try to push it back further. After a couple of week or so of doing that it just packed up completely and flapped about in the wind. I don't know what the problem was but I had to source an entire new left powerfold.

Guess what, now the right mirror's doing exactly the same. Expecting that it won't last more than a few days before it dies and I need a new right side powerfold, is there anything I can do to fix it before that happens? Why's it doing it?

COLVERT 16th May 2022 21:36

Probably needs some internal lubrication.---Have a look inside before it's too late.---;)

MacRob 17th May 2022 01:50

It sounds like one of the cogs has given out.
It's a simple repair to do but time-consuming.
Kits are available on eBay for around a tenner.

Out of interest, do both of the mirrors adjust, IE the position of the mirror moving up, down, left, or right?
If not then the problem could be related to the black box under the driver's seat and the relay inside has stuck/burnt out.
Again a simple fix by replacing the box with a 2nd hand one from eBay for around 15 quid.

Forestgreen 17th May 2022 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRob (Post 2932256)
It sounds like one of the cogs has given out.
It's a simple repair to do but time-consuming.
Kits are available on eBay for around a tenner.

Out of interest, do both of the mirrors adjust, IE the position of the mirror moving up, down, left, or right?
If not then the problem could be related to the black box under the driver's seat and the relay inside has stuck/burnt out.
Again a simple fix by replacing the box with a 2nd hand one from eBay for around 15 quid.

Many thanks, would you mind pointing me to both the kits you mentioned? I think the fine position adjustments are working OK but would need to check to be sure. Can it be done without disassembling the doorcard to take the entire mirror off, or would prising the "glass" off get to the faulty bit?

COLVERT 17th May 2022 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forestgreen (Post 2932288)
Many thanks, would you mind pointing me to both the kits you mentioned? I think the fine position adjustments are working OK but would need to check to be sure. Can it be done without disassembling the doorcard to take the entire mirror off, or would prising the "glass" off get to the faulty bit?

I think that taking the glass off ( very carefully. ) will give you access to all the important bits.---:}

hogweed 20th May 2022 09:20

You might want to read my posts on this - it's a real can of worms.

The little gears inside the motors wear. Sure, there are replacements - but they often don't mesh properly, and it will just jam.

Even if they do, the motor casing (made of putty) will wear - the gears bear directly in holes drilled in the casing, no bush, and the tiniest bit of wear will make them judder and jam.

I spent weeks trying to fix mine, trying pretty much everything you can buy. Much of the stuff on eBay is absolute {naughty word} and you'll drive yourself mad wondering why it sticks etc when you'd put everythgin togetehr so carefully.

I ended up buying a new one myself, in the end, only to have it fail after a year :duh:

Hope you have better luck if you decide to have a fiddle :D

stevestrat 20th May 2022 09:46

Trebor on here had gear sets but that was a while ago. No idea if he would still have any.

hogweed 20th May 2022 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2932629)
Trebor on here had gear sets but that was a while ago. No idea if he would still have any.

Yes I used Trebor's... trouble was, as I mentioned above, the bearing holes in the motor housing (zinc, I think, like an old carburettor) were slightly worn, so they still didn't work :mad:

Last I looked, Trebor was having bother with his again too - think maybe he gave up in the end, like me...

Here we are

stevestrat 20th May 2022 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2932640)
Yes I used Trebor's... trouble was, as I mentioned above, the bearing holes in the motor housing (zinc, I think, like an old carburettor) were slightly worn, so they still didn't work :mad:

Think laterally, ever seen the guy who repairs clocks in "The Repair Shop"? He uses various sized brass bushings to repair knackered bearings in clocks. Might be worth making enquiries down that path :shrug: