The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   "Cyclists must keep to speed limits" (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=320586)

MissMoppet 17th August 2022 16:43

"Cyclists must keep to speed limits"

Mm . . . All here.

planenut 17th August 2022 17:00

Well most of us would have a suggestion on this. Me too, but then it is my own opinion.

BUT who would enforce it?

macafee2 17th August 2022 17:32

If it happens, they only have themselves to blame

macafee2

Andy_with_a_screwdriver 17th August 2022 18:25

A man was riding very quickly towards me yesterday on what looked like a scrambler motor bike. He was straddling the Chevron in the middle of the road and his knee was half down, I reckon at least 45mph, in a 30 zone....:eek:
My attention was drawn to him because he didn't have a helmet on, and was wearing a hoodie with the hood up.
Turns out as he went past with a high pitch whine it was an electric bike.
Who's regulating that??:shrug:

edwardmk 17th August 2022 20:27

There's all sorts of electric assist bikes around now which are silent and capable of quite high speeds. I nearly got run over by one around two years ago in Mousehole. Also, had a couple of near misses with electric scooters.

guru 19th August 2022 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver (Post 2942981)
A man was riding very quickly towards me yesterday on what looked like a scrambler motor bike. He was straddling the Chevron in the middle of the road and his knee was half down, I reckon at least 45mph, in a 30 zone....:eek:
My attention was drawn to him because he didn't have a helmet on, and was wearing a hoodie with the hood up.
Turns out as he went past with a high pitch whine it was an electric bike.
Who's regulating that??:shrug:

If it was doing more then 15.5mph under assistance then it's an electric motorbike not an e-bike and therefore should have a number plate, MOT insurance etc. If he was stopped the police would take it away and prosecute for no insurance / mot etc.

As for cyclists being subject to speed limits I think that's a nonsense. Even on my ebike (which is fully legal) doing more then 20mph takes a lot of effort given it's unassisted at that point and on a regular bike it's very hard work!

tony g 19th August 2022 20:43

they are thinking of putting number plates on them as well, so when they run a red light and that they can be prosecuted, which I agree with, if they use the roads they should abide by the rules like everyone else has to.

MissMoppet 19th August 2022 20:58

Just found that the British record set in Yorkshire in 2019 was . . . 174mph - yes by a CYCLIST. See here if you don't believe me.

edwardmk 19th August 2022 22:05

I think I could manage around 60 mph slipstreaming behind a Porsche. He's aiming for over 200mph. Next will be laying a track on the rails behind a TGV aiming for 300km/hr+ .Not sure how much of the power is coming from the cyclist.:getmecoat:

macafee2 20th August 2022 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2943212)
Just found that the British record set in Yorkshire in 2019 was . . . 174mph - yes by a CYCLIST. See here if you don't believe me.

towed along and then released at the timing gate.....cheating springs to mind

macafee2