The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rover 75 estate (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=243039)

reesalan 22nd April 2016 19:02

Rover 75 estate

Decisions decisions decisions just had a pre mot bad news no 1 front brake binding
no 2 front suspension has excessive play in a track control arm inner bush offside front
no 3 brake pipe inadequately clipped rear above tank
no 4 power steering ram s leaking from a failed component near side rack
do i part x or spend money on her again
2004 rover 75 diesel estate connoisseur f s h 90,000 :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Scaramanga 22nd April 2016 19:09

All cars are money pits.

Question is - is the cost of keeping the 75 going less than starting again with another car with unkown history?

ZedTeeT 22nd April 2016 19:33

When It comes to spending money, it's a head and heart choice, your head saying don't be silly and get rid and your heart saying, yea but I really like it........ I've always ignored a cars value and made the choice to spend the money, or not spend the money, on the simple answer to a question, do I like it enough? I'm currently working my way through a very long list indeed on my 233k zt-t cdti. By the time I'm done I would undoubtedly have spent more than it's worth. But, do I like it enough? Yes I do, and that's my choice.

Coups 22nd April 2016 19:37

Keep it!! That's not too big a list and all are relatively cheap repairs. Except the steering rack which I've absolutely no idea about..... The cost of repair would be cheaper than getting a new one. You know you'll only be offered pennies as a trade in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonathan63 22nd April 2016 20:07

and once its fixed, those bits wont need doing again for a very long time.:}

alanjay 22nd April 2016 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by reesalan (Post 2272145)
Decisions decisions decisions just had a pre mot bad news no 1 front brake binding
no 2 front suspension has excessive play in a track control arm inner bush offside front
no 3 brake pipe inadequately clipped rear above tank
no 4 power steering ram s leaking from a failed component near side rack
do i part x or spend money on her again
2004 rover 75 diesel estate connoisseur f s h 90,000 :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

In a real MOT, not pre-MOT, some might be failures, others advisories.
Hope you did not pay for pre-MOT check because that's money that could be spent towards fixing problems that might be highlighted by a genuine MOT.

reesalan 22nd April 2016 21:03

rover 75

yes sorry a mot not a pre mot :getmecoat:

Ravinder 22nd April 2016 22:49

A pre MOT costs around £15 so not too bad. Worth doing in my opinion.

Kennyeth 23rd April 2016 10:54

Do you like the car? yes then fix it.
If you buy another and depending how old or new-ish you can afford you might be buying something that needs more work.
I class most used cars for sale, probably more than 50% of them are got rid of because they are needing something doing.
Stick with what you have. ;)
Ken.

stevenkeyte 23rd April 2016 18:19

I'm of the 'better the devil you know' school - you know the car and when those relatively easy fix faults are remedied you'll have a car you know is right for another 12 months and if you got rid of it how much would you get for a twelve year old car with no MOT to put towards another vehicle which 'could' come with a host of issues which need fixing.
I'd repair it and keep it :-)

Steve