The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   It's only worth scrap money mate! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298395)

dattrike 17th August 2019 11:58

Can we not use the chlorine wash to clean the cars destined for the scrapyard,
much more hygienic than getting down and dirty removing parts we need?
(just to get back on topic :D:D:D)

topman 17th August 2019 12:11

Might well be the reason stated, not everything is a conspiracy.

topman 17th August 2019 12:11

I'd call it an excellent bit of thread drift :}

topman 17th August 2019 13:48

Convenient for the US as well. Plenty of subsidies over there I'd bet for farmers.

grivas 17th August 2019 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveb57 (Post 2755081)
Hi all.

At the 'crossroads' again with the ZT as regards what to! Few bits to sort, back plates all round, new disc's and pads for the front, brake fluid change to do, air con needs a recharge, in all fairness to that, 17 years owned and never done. Spent almost £500 on her the back end of last year. Couple of other bits and pieces that need doing as well. Got to the point where I don't want to fall into the money pit trap, so decided I would change. Big wrench it would be, but there must be life after MG ROVER!

Came across a nice MK 1 Focus 170, always quite fancied one of those when they 1st came out. Good Miles, good history and a good price, so went to have a look to purchase. Test drive threw up no faults that could be seen and was going to buy it. Had already mentioned I had a px during the original phone call, not asked what it was though at that point. When the guy asked what I wanted to px, the mention of the ZT did not go down well. Nobody want's them mate, worth nothing, better selling it yourself or I'll give you scrap money!

That basically concluded any further discussion on the Focus and left.

Money to be spent on the ZT now, will get her back to how she should be, and enjoy more of what the last 17 years has given me!

Regards,

Dave.

It is the price to change to the new car that is important, not what you get for the part exchange, obv iously you don't want to give the thing away, walking away is the right thing.

wraymond 17th August 2019 16:00

On the simple question of car expense my general rule of thumb is what I paid for it plus the running costs since I've had it divided by the number of years I've had it.
Then comes the hard bit. If I fancy another will I be better off, like it as much, and will I have to go through all that again. Then, finally, why?

topman 17th August 2019 17:03

I'm not sure I ever suggested they didn't? :shrug:

topman 17th August 2019 20:30

It's a benefit, if you like, what it's purpose is is probably very similar to other help given to farmers in many other parts of the world.

Bogbrush82 18th August 2019 10:46

A car is worth what you're prepared to put into it. I put a lot of money into mine because they're worth alot to me (Bones in particular), and no Arthur Daley salesman is going to persuade me otherwise. :}

wraymond 18th August 2019 13:23

Some, that's some, of my early cars had a certain romantic association that sort of compelled a nostalgic attachment that kind of needed a lengthy time lapse before moving them on could be contemplated.

My thanks to Austin Cambridge 388RMH, Sunbeam Alpine APB611B and Rover 2000 UOY961F (my first Rover P6) for the memories, wherever they are. I just hope the same memories for the same cars do not occur to anyone reading this.