The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   04 CDTI ZT VIN/drowned ECU/key question (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300180)

Chunky2778 22nd October 2019 10:04

04 CDTI ZT VIN/drowned ECU/key question

Hi all, I only have the one key, RCL has never worked since I've had the car, osf door latch is faulty.

I'm concerned at only having one way into the car so need the RCL working. The closest people I've found to do it are 25/30 miles away and closest who can cut a blade another 10 or so on from them.

Long story short the guy asked if I knew the history of the car and whether it had had a drowned ECU, ie if it's had the required components from another car we will have problems with codes stored by BMW, so before I made the trip I thought I would see if the ECU VIN matches the car.

Option 1 on the self test function gives me a matching 5 digits to the last of my VIN plate. Does this mean I'm good to go and the cluster reads the VIN straight from the ECU or is the VIN written to the cluster so wouldn't change if a rescue kit had been fitted?

vitesse 22nd October 2019 10:25

To save guessing pop the main ECU out and you should find a sticker on it with the VIN, hopefully it should match the car.

Guess the closest people are up in Newton Abbot, but don't know if they can supply a complete working key including the transponder chip, ask them. They can probably supply you with a working door latch too.

Regards

stevestrat 22nd October 2019 10:52

Info (VIN, mileage etc) isn't only stored in the ECU, its also stored in other electrical control systems such as the LSM (light switch module). Unless a T4 was involved in matching a replacement ECU to the car it would throw up problems, error would show where the mileage is displayed for one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2770364)
Guess the closest people are up in Newton Abbot, but don't know if they can supply a complete working key including the transponder chip, ask them.

A key from them would be through official Xpart channels with the associated nippy £200+ price tag. Personally, I'd go and see Chris (cb750chris) in Portsmouth, he can do a 2nd key for a much more sensible price https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...12&postcount=1 and investigate the central locking problems.

vitesse 22nd October 2019 11:08

Not too sure of the ERR appearing as long as the LSM and the IPK match.

The Newton Abbot garage have a T4 and should be able to help diagnosing the RCL problem - never heard they can do a transponder chip though, which is why I suggested he asks, agree if he wants a complete spare key and Newton Abbot can't help then Chris is nearest. But if he can be without the car for a few days I believe he can post his EWS to one of the experts and get a new transponder that way - it's a fair distance up to Portsmouth.

Regards

stevestrat 22nd October 2019 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2770375)
Not too sure of the ERR appearing as long as the LSM and the IPK match.

That's why I said as long as an ECU swap was done properly, T4 matching everything up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2770375)
it's a fair distance up to Portsmouth.

Apologies, didn't realise how far it is til I looked at a map :o

Chunky2778 22nd October 2019 11:45

Newton Abbot can indeed help. :)

I guess as I used to do all this sort of thing with Fiat/Alfa Romeo I was being nosey/trying to cover all bases before I waste a day.

Just wanted to do all I could before I venture up there as I have the kids for half term and didn't want make a wasted trip with two bored, moaning teenagers in tow! :drool4:

Whoever it was I spoke to knew exactly what was needed and assures me it is all doable other than cutting a blade.

I will have a look at the ECU this afternoon and report back.

Chunky2778 22nd October 2019 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2770378)
That's why I said as long as an ECU swap was done properly, T4 matching everything up.

Apologies, didn't realise how far it is til I looked at a map :o

Everywhere is ages from here, should try being an Argyle fan, closest team of any significance is 2 hours away..... :D:getmecoat:

dattrike 22nd October 2019 12:02

order one of these,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-...53.m2749.l2649

I did and it worked perfectly in the lock.
You can then get the electronic bit sorted with a new transponder

stevestrat 22nd October 2019 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky2778 (Post 2770382)
Everywhere is ages from here, should try being an Argyle fan, closest team of any significance is 2 hours away..... :D:getmecoat:

Since Brian's work commitments resulted in him withdrawing as a trader my closest club T4 is now Russ down in Liversedge, 220+ miles away! There are a couple of garages near me have one but you are never confident that they fully competent with them, especially as I have a 260 that doesn't like a T4 poking around in its personal bits! Even when Brian was still available he was about 120 miles away.

vitesse 22nd October 2019 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky2778 (Post 2770382)

And to there too - years since I've been able to drink free beer at one of my brother's three pubs on Mutley Plain. :drool4:

Regards