The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Creaking front windows (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296594)

Russp 14th June 2019 19:49

Creaking front windows

Is there any cure for the glass creaking on the front windows

clf 14th June 2019 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2740644)
Is there any cure for the glass creaking on the front windows

check if the sound is coming from inside the door. It would be relatively common for the regulator to fail, and when mine did it made a lot fo creaking noises before the cable snapped. It is quite an easy fix, by way of replacement (Mickyboy is where I got my replacement - highly recommended trader). A bit of silicone spray in the window channels could help to eliminate sticky rubbers.

If it does turn out to be that, grease all the moving parts of the regulator before fitting.

Mickyboy 14th June 2019 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2740652)
check if the sound is coming from inside the door. It would be relatively common for the regulator to fail, and when mine did it made a lot fo creaking noises before the cable snapped. It is quite an easy fix, by way of replacement (Mickyboy is where I got my replacement - highly recommended trader). A bit of silicone spray in the window channels could help to eliminate sticky rubbers.

If it does turn out to be that, grease all the moving parts of the regulator before fitting.

Very good advice, I use silicone spray on my own too, I also have plenty of regulators in stock at the moment too, they seem to fail now that they are on average 18 years old
Mick

Russp 15th June 2019 08:56

The creaking or rattling is coming from the top of the windows when closed, if they are opened slightly the noise goes

Russp 18th June 2019 18:50

Sprayed silicone WD40 on the door seal and window rubbers which softened them up but this seems to have made the noise worse

clf 18th June 2019 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2740718)
The creaking or rattling is coming from the top of the windows when closed, if they are opened slightly the noise goes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2741618)
Sprayed silicone WD40 on the door seal and window rubbers which softened them up but this seems to have made the noise worse

are the rubbers in place correctly? If the rattling is coming from the top of the doors, something must be loose to be moving to make a noise. I think you should now take off the door car to make sure everything is intact and in the correct position (check the condition of the bowden cables whilst they are off too). Check the rubber in the runners and the runners themselves are secure. Check to the glass is secure to the mounts, with the mounts themselves secure.

Russp 18th June 2019 19:44

Everything seems secure don't think they have ever been taken off in the past .
If I drop the windows ever so slightly it goes away, it's both front windows that do it but its mainly on rough roads but

clf 18th June 2019 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2741634)
Everything seems secure don't think they have ever been taken off in the past .
If I drop the windows ever so slightly it goes away, it's both front windows that do it but its mainly on rough roads but

I have never heard of it, but could the rubbers be worn or split allowing the window to reach the top of the frame (pull the rubbers down to inspect)? Although there is only one anti trap sensor, I wonder is it damaged somehow (drivers side)?

Have you taken the door cards off?

Russp 18th June 2019 21:52

I have inspected the rubbers and cand find anything wrong, the car has only done 70k .
Are the cars normally rattle and creak free on rough roads ?

clf 18th June 2019 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2741656)
I have inspected the rubbers and cand find anything wrong, the car has only done 70k .
Are the cars normally rattle and creak free on rough roads ?

did you remove them completely and check for splits along the length of them. When you removed the doorcards, was there any corrosion on the bowden cables?

I cannot think of anything else to check aside from the door itself.

Mine would be more or less rattle and creak free.