The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Boing said Zeberdee.......... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18521)

Keith 1st April 2008 15:55

Boing said Zeberdee..........

Jumped in my 75 today having not been out in it for a week to go and fill up with Diesel as I have a business appointment tomorrow.

I went probably no more than 100 yds down the road and the front offside tyre exploded, the steering was wrenched from my hands and I nearly took out next doors cat which was sitting on the bonnet of their Volvo!

Yes you guessed it front spring has snapped and shredded the tyre in an instant.

If that had happened on the motorway I probably would not be here now, scary stuff!

So time for new springs a new tyre and I might as well do the top strut bearings as well.

Tomoorow I will go to my meeting in our Picasso a car which ironically was subject to a recall for exactly the same serious safety risk, it now has a metal cup thing bolted to the suspension leg to stop the spring puncturing the tyre!

Zeb 1st April 2008 16:02

You called?

Nasty! Glad it wasn't any worse!

CDTi 1st April 2008 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 167691)
If that had happened on the motorway I probably would not be here now, scary stuff!

So time for new springs a new tyre and I might as well do the top strut bearings as well.

Scary stuff indeed :eek:. Glad you are OK, Keith.

Was this problem ever sorted out or are all our cars liable to do this?

Jules 1st April 2008 16:05

Unlucky Keith, bet the cat thought he'd been shot!
I'm sure the car's in safe hands and will be fixed quickly.

Pete 1st April 2008 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDTi (Post 167702)
Scary stuff indeed :eek:. Glad you are OK, Keith.

Was this problem ever sorted out or are all our cars liable to do this?

For some reason, and it's never really been properly explained, is that a number of vehicles across different manufacturers are potentially susceptible to sudden spring failure. It's a supplier and not a manufacturer problem.

Simon 1st April 2008 16:54

That's nasty sounding Keith but glad to hear it was nothing more serious than the need to change your underwear.

Anyone got any info on the VIN's susceptible to this occurrence?

Zeb 1st April 2008 16:56

Mind you, the clue may be in the first line....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 167691)
Jumped in my 75 today !

:pillow:

tapped 1st April 2008 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 167726)
For some reason, and it's never really been properly explained, is that a number of vehicles across different manufacturers are potentially susceptible to sudden spring failure. It's a supplier and not a manufacturer problem.

Think its probably a "design" rather than supplier problem! Not all springs are made by the same manufacturers!

I know Krupp Hoesch Woodhead made the front springs on 75 but plenty of cars suffer from final coil breakage...Mubea made the fronts on X Type and even they have been known to fail..........

David3807 1st April 2008 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 167730)
That's nasty sounding Keith but glad to hear it was nothing more serious than the need to change your underwear.

This what you are after Simon ??

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...3&postcount=23

GreyGhost 1st April 2008 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 167730)

I believe Kandyman posted a list of recalls and this was included