The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Pre-empting Gasket Failure (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=45129)

Stitch626 16th September 2009 12:06

Pre-empting Gasket Failure

I am thinking of getting a Rover 75 to complement my ZT and replace an ageing Laguna I have. I was thinking of a 1.8 but am nervous because of the dreaded HGF.

So, the question is, how prevalent are these failures?

Also, if it so likely why not change the gasket to the MLS type (I am assuming this tends not to fail) as soon as you can? Why not treat the gasket like a cambelt and fit the upgraded one before the failure occurs? Of course, maybe this is something many have done already.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

StevenWilliams 16th September 2009 13:10

I'm not aware of a single uprated Gasket failing.

the main reason it's not done now rather than when it fails is cost.

It may never happen and as long as you check your car properly it shouldn't do any damage. The only damage done is when the car is left to overheat.

You should really be checking at least once a month and most who know about the issue check it more often than that.

pab 16th September 2009 15:30

the main reason for head gasket failure is loss of coolant,keep an eye on the coolant level,weekly or even daily if covering a high mileage and check for external leaks

Parker 16th September 2009 15:39

I have a 1.8T and as Pabs says the coolant levels need to be checked at least weekly, or after long journeys just take a look,
also have a look around the hoses / T joint and a feel for any wetness incase there is a small leak, doesn't take long once a week and well worth it.

Also fit a proper temp gauge you can't rely on the gauge in the car which is next to useless. Buy a Hans gauge, do a search plenty about it on here and not expensive or alternatively go for a Scangauge II with all the other functions that has.

Stitch626 16th September 2009 15:53

So keep the coolant levels up and you greatly reduce the chance of a failure then? I guess it can still happen but it is less likely. Is that correct?

Mark

T-Cut 16th September 2009 17:49

Fit a Schaaper Digital Temperature Guage. It will give early warning of possible cooling issues and is far cheaper to fit than a new head gasket. I reckon it's essential kit for K18 owners.

TC

The Jugs 16th September 2009 17:59

I second T-Cut's advice, brill piece of kit the Hans temp gauge. Monitor every degree change as it happens. Once your used to it, you'll know instantly of any out of character temp issues.

Jules 21st September 2009 18:45

Just a thought.......................?!
Anyone thought of having a Web Cam focussed on the Expansion Tank ?
Or how about a pressure sensor in the water system?:shrug:

JP53 21st September 2009 19:10

I've owned 6 1.4/1.8 K series engined car's and I have only had one HGF (despite checking coolant level at least once a week) however she did not over heat so the engine suffered no damage and the head did not need a skim. The engine had covered 62000 miles.

I have had the upgraded gasket fitted (the original is just awful).

If you plan to keep the car for a long time and are worried about HGF then it is well worth getting the upgraded gasket fitted.

chris75 21st September 2009 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP53 (Post 390476)

I have had the upgraded gasket fitted (the original is just awful).

:wot::iagree:

I have had two K series cars and both had HGF . The original gasket was indeed a dodgy bit of kit . Incidentally , neither of them exhibited any water loss prior to letting go !