The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   coolent pipes v6 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299171)

Steve42 12th September 2019 13:18

coolent pipes v6

hi all ,

have had a loss of coolant for a while now .
its looking like its around the drivers side front.
have today taken the undertray off and if thats to go by then it does comfirm this . also the engine temp is a bit out of sorts . can run as low as 80 then up to 100 in a few seconds .
now it would seem to happen only when car is running as with the engine off no sign of drips. have to top up 2 or 3 days.
car is up on ramps at the moment with no oil in so I cannot start her up till tomorrow.
just thought I would put it out to see if someone has a idea what pipe it could be.

thanks
all

BigRuss 12th September 2019 14:04

There's a pair of steel pipes that run across the front of the subframe, that's where I'd start looking ;)

They're only flash painted and have a nasty habit of corroding and have been the cause of many leaks in that area ;)

Next look in the V beneath the inlet manifold for the thermostat leaking ;)

Russ

SD1too 12th September 2019 14:04

Start by checking in the 'V' for signs of antifreeze residue or even pools of coolant. Then inspect the metal oil cooler pipework under the radiator for corrosion.

Have you had any work carried out on the cooling system prior to this problem occurring?

Simon

vitesse 12th September 2019 14:08

Not as you describe but my daughter's V6 suffered two loses of coolant, both times the large hoses from thermostat to radiator. One was very sneaky as it had a sleeve and only by splitting the sleeve could we see the leak, I think this sleeve was deleted later in the programme but as your car is an early one thought it worth a mention.

Regards

Steve42 12th September 2019 14:23

hi all.
v is dry had the inlet off last week .
its a right pain to track down as not much room to play with
oil cooler pipes look ok.

may have to wait till I can start it up .

thanks all

Rich in Vancouver 13th September 2019 03:05

I had an intake manifold to head gasket spring a leak.
As for the steel pipe assembly across the front of the engine Rimmers currently has them on clearance along with some other V6 hoses.

kaiser 13th September 2019 05:13

Water pump and inlet manifold gaskets should be checked.

victorgte 13th September 2019 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver (Post 2761818)
I had an intake manifold to head gasket spring a leak.
As for the steel pipe assembly across the front of the engine Rimmers currently has them on clearance along with some other V6 hoses.

What price clearance did you see please. Checked their site and they are £93 plus postage.

Rich in Vancouver 14th September 2019 02:32

If you go to the home page on their site and click the "Mega Clearance" banner you will be taken to the sale pages. I just bought the metal pipe & hose assembly for 60. quid. They have several other 75/ZT hoses on clearance as well as other useful bits.

Blink 14th September 2019 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver (Post 2762035)
If you go to the home page on their site and click the "Mega Clearance" banner you will be taken to the sale pages. I just bought the metal pipe & hose assembly for 60. quid.

Isn't there a stainless steel version of that pipe assembly somewhere?