The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   picked up the Jaguar XJ on Monday (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298937)

Olde faithful 3rd September 2019 19:50

picked up the Jaguar XJ on Monday

I picked up my Jaguar XJ on Monday, My god is it smooth, I always thought the Rover 75 was king for this, however the XJ is in a different league now aware a 2019 car is always going to trump a 2002 model, however its vastly different.

I still love to drive my R75, love it to bits, but after driving the XJ its showing its age now. The XJ is awesome even though it will take me a week to learn all the controls and gizmos. what a beautiful car though.

ziggy72 4th September 2019 07:20

An owner let me have a sit inside his new shape XJ at a car show a month or so ago and the styling , fit and finish was excellent. He said it drove superbly and had placed his order for another one. Enjoy your new motor.

oldcarguy 4th September 2019 09:17

My 97 XJ is as smooth as silk. Brilliant cars.

Olde faithful 4th September 2019 20:15

Thanks Guys
the thing is lethal 306 BHP twin turbo and instant and i mean instant power , normal mode, then sport mode, then sport dynamic... eight speed automatic box.

its awesome, theres nothing the car needs or wants two sunroofs, TV, Radio , Dab, Phone, Satnav, E-MAILS, etc etc, self massaging seats heated and cooled seats. 18 way electrical adjustment, electrical theme blue lighting throughout and the bit i love is the electric blue cills that light up and write XJ50. That i think is a nice touch, these XJs are absolutely beautiful, theres a definitely a step up in build quality to the XJ to the rest of the Jaguar car range....

The dashboard you have elegance look sport look, detail look, minimum look, the choices are ridiculous but lovely, and the soft touch door closing if you dont quite close the door correctly, the car will close it to ensure its closed.

FANTASTIC CAR XJ50

grivas 4th September 2019 20:47

Glad you are pleased with the car, I am assuming it is an XJ50, not my choice to be honest, hope it proves as reliable as the Rover, I fear it will not, and then the costs of putting things right will be crippling, in my opinion a 5-Series BMW does everything much better, a different league really, that would be my choice, but enjoy the car nevertheless.
I do hope I do not come across as negative but despite of all the hype, Jaguar do not make cars that are of the quality and reliability of the German brands, and the costs of ownership mean I will never buy one.

roverbarmy 4th September 2019 21:07

I used to drive several XJ limos and they were lovely cars until they stopped! Everything relied on the battery being 100% or the leccys threw wobblies with Blackpool lights on the dash. One was a hearse, and after a spillage of water from funeral flowers in the back, it took weeks of drying out, contact cleaner and replacement connectors before it worked properly. Check the rustproofing carefully underneath as some suffered from cracked compounds and water ingress.:shrug: Gorgeous to drive, quiet and smooth as silk (especially when the gaffer was paying for the fuel!).

Olde faithful 5th September 2019 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by grivas (Post 2760093)
Glad you are pleased with the car, I am assuming it is an XJ50, not my choice to be honest, hope it proves as reliable as the Rover, I fear it will not, and then the costs of putting things right will be crippling, in my opinion a 5-Series BMW does everything much better, a different league really, that would be my choice, but enjoy the car nevertheless.
I do hope I do not come across as negative but despite of all the hype, Jaguar do not make cars that are of the quality and reliability of the German brands, and the costs of ownership mean I will never buy one.

Grivas, thanks for the advice, however if you remember all the doomsayers at the time about Rover EG poor quality and rubbish i would never have bought one, well 312000 miles later the Rover is still here and never once broke down not once i feel that the Jaguar question is that "German is NOT always best" especially now they are mostly built outside Germany it's not the same and I believe a model that is close to 10 years old in shape design has had the little issues knocked out of it the later ones of a model are nearly always the best in reliability as the manufacturer has sorted it by then.

As I say the British brands abroad do not get the bashing as they do here in GB which is a shame, i will keep you posted on the XJ now just on 104 miles on the clock though, so we can have a running test of the cars reliability going forward. The BMW i find is a very good myth, friend of mine at work bought a new BMW three times he changed it, and three changes later, give up on BMWs due to tech issues, now drives Vauxhall the best thing he ever did he says.

The Germans are great a marketing, hence there standing. substance is another matter.......not so good. I once spoke to a director at Longbridge when BMW owned Rover 1999 he said to me and he said don't repeat this as i will deny it, he said " which of the two brand BMW or Rover get more recalls" I fell for it I said Rover, he said no out of every one thousand Rovers 27 get to come back, out of one thousand BMWs 38 cars get to come back! his words not mine.. he said BMW are great at keeping it quite where clarkson and co are vocal about Rover etc etc the rest is history. TRUE STORY

Olde faithful 5th September 2019 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2760100)
I used to drive several XJ limos and they were lovely cars until they stopped! Everything relied on the battery being 100% or the leccys threw wobblies with Blackpool lights on the dash. One was a hearse, and after a spillage of water from funeral flowers in the back, it took weeks of drying out, contact cleaner and replacement connectors before it worked properly. Check the rustproofing carefully underneath as some suffered from cracked compounds and water ingress.:shrug: Gorgeous to drive, quiet and smooth as silk (especially when the gaffer was paying for the fuel!).

i SHOULD think any car on electrics would throw a wobbler if you dropped water on them any manufacture LOL

Fusilier 5th September 2019 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olde faithful (Post 2759855)
I picked up my Jaguar XJ on Monday, My god is it smooth, I always thought the Rover 75 was king for this, however the XJ is in a different league now aware a 2019 car is always going to trump a 2002 model, however its vastly different.

I still love to drive my R75, love it to bits, but after driving the XJ its showing its age now. The XJ is awesome even though it will take me a week to learn all the controls and gizmos. what a beautiful car though.

Many congratulations on purchasing the XJ, they are fantastic cars, and as you say so comfortable, with lots of toys, and it will take you a short while to learn about all of them, the cruise and adaptive cruise are very good systems

Enjoy

Stu

Olde faithful 6th September 2019 18:32

now on 146 miles, and my god its quick even when not trying i have never had a car with instant response like this XJ!!

The one thing i don't like is the climate system on it the R75 is much better for quick ease, where the XJ is sub menus etc, however there is not much i don't like the fuel economy for a 2 tonne car and 3 litre engine with 306 BHP is amazing!

shes averaging around 39 Miles per gallon mixture of town and M42, Thats good for a tight new engine car. The car TV reversing camera was tested last night in pitch black my god the infra red in colour was excellent. saw every single THING behind me within 50 yards, and i mean PITCH BLACK!

Very pleased with it, minus the climate! LOL