The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Judder and harshness (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=283431)

bigsi32 14th May 2018 18:49

Judder and harshness

Hi guys,

Cdti Manual.

I have noticed that when pulling away in first around 2000 revs I get a judder and a lot the same time quite a harsh engine feel through the steering wheel.

The judder is different to clutch slip which I have had on other cars in the past.

It doesn’t seem to do it in any other gears.

Would this possibly be the lower engine mount? Would that cause a harshness through the steering wheel?

Any thoughts/guidance/advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Si

Heddy 14th May 2018 18:53

It could indeed be the engine mount. Let the clutch up slightly while in 1st gear and depress it again, you can feel the engine 'rock' forwards and backwards. This will test how worn the mount is. Not a bad job to change, i'm guessing there's a 'How to' somewhere.

75driver 14th May 2018 20:44

Simon,
As you say, it could be the lower engine “teardrop” mount, but don’t discount the clutch slip just yet either.
The lower engine mount is easy to check, so it would be my 1st port of call.

- Remove the under tray.
The teardrop shaped mount will be quite visible, at the rear of the engine.
- Remove the 2 bolts, at each end of the mount, (I think with a 14 or 15 socket🤔). They can sometimes be quite tight, so I would use a good six sided socket, to minimise chance of rounding off the bolt heads.
- visibly check condition of rubber on mount, by putting a long screwdriver, or Similar through the centre of the rubber bushes, and lever / twist to see if the rubber has any breaks, or if the centre of the bush has parted from the rubber.

There is an hefty thread on here somewhere about lower engine mounts, where member “arctic” has done a lot of research into different types v vibration.
It may be useful reading.
A search of the forum should reveal all....
Let us know how you get on.
Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75driver 14th May 2018 20:47

This should also help....
How To - Fitting Lower Engine Mount (Diesel)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigsi32 15th May 2018 05:35

Thanks guys will investigate and let you know.

For what it’s worth i know the clutch was replaced along with the dmf and slave cylinder about 50,000 miles ago.

Fingers crossed it’s the easy fix..

bigsi32 21st May 2018 18:43

Well I got my replacement engine mount today, went to fit but got beaten by the bolt on the bigger end of the engine mount, it just would not come out and has started to round off now grrr.

So will admit defeat and take care to the garage tomorrow to ask for help.:mad:

75driver 21st May 2018 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsi32 (Post 2632044)
Well I got my replacement engine mount today, went to fit but got beaten by the bolt on the bigger end of the engine mount, it just would not come out and has started to round off now grrr.

So will admit defeat and take care to the garage tomorrow to ask for help.:mad:

Just a thought.......
With the bolt out of the smaller end, you could try pulling the smaller end downwards, therefore using it as a lever to assist the turning force on the bolt through the big end.
But I’d only do this if I had a means of tapping it back up into place, if the bolt through the big end still refuses to budge.🙄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigsi32 22nd May 2018 19:18

Managed to get the bolt out today.and replace the mount and the difference is huge, the old mount was split and cracked quite badly so definitely a job worth doing.