The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Driving in Europe - Any Advice to offer? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8902)

carlpenn 17th August 2007 20:28

Driving in Europe - Any Advice to offer?

I have always wanted to tour Europe in a Car, sadly, now with one wife and two children later I appreciate it is not the most convenient of ideas.

However.........After lengthy chats with my wife and much pleading .... lol ... I am finally achieving part of this dream..

In December this year we are planning to take the 75 over to Germany, I have always wanted to visit the Christmas Markets there..........Obviously, taking the two children, I am concerned about every little nick nack I need to know............I have noticed a few members have been to Europe in their 75's and any advice, information or even suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I seem vague, but without knowing what to ask I am not sure what I need to know?

Phil 17th August 2007 20:32

Drive on the right........:D

I think there is laws over there where it is mandatory to have a spare bulb kit comprising of every bulb you'll ever need. Never driven abroad and only been abroad once but would like to drive over too.

Tatts 17th August 2007 20:52

IIRC the AA website has quite a comprehensive guide.

From my time based in Germany, you need as mentioned above, spare bulbs, a petrol can with 5l of fuel, warning triangle, proper 1st aid kit, green card insurance, breakdown cover is highly recommended, headlight beam benders, GB Sticker.

Erm, sure there's more, but memory fading!

carlpenn 17th August 2007 21:05

Thanks Guys :)

Phil...........I laughed my head off at that comment........."Drive on the Right" My Mother is from Germany and my Father is from UK and my Mother said that she had to keep reminding my Father which side of the road he was supposed to be driving on whilst they where courting (My Father was in the Army in Germany during the 1950's)...........lol..........

Tatts..........regarding the GB Sticker, Can I get away with having the GB Bar on my Reg Plate? Dont want a tacky Sticker on my Bumper or does it have to be one of those horrible big white stickers?

Mike 17th August 2007 21:15

You'll find all the info you need here:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...eas/index.html

hth

GreyGhost 17th August 2007 21:29

GB on your reg plate is fine. If you do decide on a tacky sticker as well make sure it is the standard size and font. Very fussy, ze Germans, about tacky stickers. :D
Beam deflector stickers for standard headlamps a fiver from Halfords. Or if you have xenon lamps there is a lever on the back to change dipped beam from RHD to LHD and all points in between.

carlpenn 17th August 2007 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 80536)
GB on your reg plate is fine. If you do decide on a tacky sticker as well make sure it is the standard size and font. Very fussy, ze Germans, about tacky stickers. :D
Beam deflector stickers for standard headlamps a fiver from Halfords. Or if you have xenon lamps there is a lever on the back to change dipped beam from RHD to LHD and all points in between.

Thanks GG............

Regarding the Bold bits..........I have no idea where to look or find out about this? How would I know if I have Xenon Lights? (sorry if I seem really thick)

I will be buying my "Half Moon" Plates from the company this site recommended (Cannot remember the company name right now - having a crappy nicotiene withdrawal night Plus had a bottle of wine now !! ) with, hopefully the GB Bar down the side............

As for Germans being fussy.............lol.........yes............My Mother is NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- fussy !!! lol........

Again, I apologise if I seem thick........but, any Question is easy if you know the answer - - - Some very wise person once told me ;)

mike - Many thanks for the Link............Will check after workl tomorow :)

apywell 18th August 2007 07:54

I drove my family over to Germany, Belgium and Luxemburg this year and had a great time. First time in Germany for me too. I think most of the things have already been mentioned about spare bulbs and other precautions. Oh, I extended my AA cover before I went. This could be worth doing if something does goes wrong. They will give you a hire car so that you can continue on your holiday and bring your car home for you if it can't be repaired.

On the plus side you will find fuel cheaper there and the roads are less congested. The only time you need to be careful in any busy towns or cities. I would say try and avoid any rush hour traffic in the larger cities if possible, as trying to navigate when everything seems the wrong way round can be daunting. Don't know if you have one, but a sat nav is realy useful.

You are bound to be cautious like i was, but get out there and you will have a great time.

have fun:D
ps
don't forget to save some room in the boot for the booooooze......

oakridge 18th August 2007 07:57

Go for it, we spend a lot of time in France but it is 45 years since I was in Germany. Christine finds it easier driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, the downside is if you get behind something slow moving - it would be more than a little dangerous if I were to advise on whether the road is clear.

If you have a MkII Rover the lights have the adjuster thingy under the bonnet.

You will find a completely different attitude to children on the continent, we went to a Bastille Day fireworks display there were people there from tiny to doddery; no yobs, no drunks, no litter. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. When our daughter went to Germany on a school exchange in about 1980 she was amazed that the neighbours came out to sweep the street on Sunday morning. When she went back to Germany for the World Cup a local hoisted Grandad's WWII Union Jack on his garden flagpole. That's a welcome.

Malcolm

mattthetourer 18th August 2007 08:27

Watch your speed ,on the spot fines are common in France.Otherwise it's great.Only problem I had was my Dad's navigating.Taking a caravan around the Arc de Triomphe is not for the feint hearted.Was only 17 and had not long passed my test.That was in a Marina estate.