The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MOT pass ... but then a problem.... :-) (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=287174)

grout20 18th August 2018 09:45

MOT pass ... but then a problem.... :-)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Well pleased with a new MOT yesterday. It wasn't actually due until January but July/August is much nicer time to work on a car if needed!

I even removed the undertray so MOT man could get to see everything more easily :eek: .... but here's the problem. The undertray I acquired from someone else recently, i.e. second hand, as my car didn't have one.

The sound deadening foam was heavily soaked in oil and when the engine/foam got hot it smelt like I had a bad oil leak! :eek:

So ..."Take off and replace the foam" I thought.

This developed into : Remove foam, remove aluminium plate, scrape off all the crud, degrease, twice, wash, dry,... and then I found myself using my expensive AutoGlym products to treat the topside of the Undertray .... which no one will ever see!

I need help .... this is not normal behaviour! :duh::duh:

Cliff / Teflon / Nev .... come on folks .... please tell me someone else has the same problem!

MOT man also suggested I need to clean up my headlights .... so a chance to use my 3M Headlight Restore Kit .... at least people will see those results!

Happy cleaning, all

:D :D :D
John

Teflon 18th August 2018 10:45

All sounds perfectly normal to me :shrug:

Perhaps we should set up a group where we all sit around in chairs and say things like "My name is XXX and I polish my (insert obscure car part here)" :D:D

Cliff

P.S. There is no known cure as of yet - sorry!

Bullnose75 18th August 2018 11:57

All sounds perfectly normal behaviour to me too,but then I too do similar things. I've been painting,cleaning and polishing bits of car that i'm restoring that nobody will ever see unless they completely dismantle the car !
Maybe if i'd been less fussy said car would be back on the road by now,lol.
Been restoring/modifying it for seven years or so now,mustn't rush these things hey !

jonc3725 18th August 2018 12:31

Perfectly normal in my eyes. I spent a few days refurbing mine before refitting it including a full respray:duh:

A year on the road and after a good clean off when I did my servicing and it looks as good as new.

Boy we are sad:D

grout20 20th August 2018 20:04

Not alone then!

Thanks for the replies guys .... at least I'm not the only one.....! :bowdown:

Quite therapeutic, this cleaning lark isn't it?

I borrowed a friends Dual Action Polisher and experimented on the bonnet of our Corsa yesterday. Scholl S3 compound and then Auto Glym SRP.

What a difference! A bit more practice and a bit more courage and I might have a go on the 75 :eek:

My friend recommended Scholl S20 Black which is a great Compound & Polish in one he said.

(Sorry, this should probably be in the Valeting section)

Bfn

John

MSS 20th August 2018 21:56

You will soon progress to sanding wood in three stages and then painting it behind the toilet pan where no one will ever see it.

The follow-on stage is the a white jacket!

AndyN01 21st August 2018 06:28

I happen to like and enjoy the pleasures of detailing cars - as are many on here. Pop along to here: http://detailingworld.co.uk/ for some more like minded people (and yes, my username is the same).

Good for you.

Enjoy yourself.

Andy.

PS The slope is quite steep and layered in TFR/snow foam/tar remover/fallout remover//clay bar/shampoo/wheel cleaner/compound/polish/wax/plastic cleaner/carpet shampoo/vinyl care/glass cleaner...........;) :}:}.

Ian G 21st August 2018 06:51

I'm maybe not be quite so obsessive about cleaning the car but when I replaced all the internal doors in the bungalow I made sure that all the slots in the hinge screws were perfectly vertical..
Cheers

grout20 22nd August 2018 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2661895)
The follow-on stage is the a white jacket!

Haha. As long as it's clean I'll wear it !.... ;) although a Wedgwood Blue jacket would be my choice.

:D

John

grout20 22nd August 2018 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyN01 (Post 2661953)
I happen to like and enjoy the pleasures of detailing cars - as are many on here. Pop along to here: http://detailingworld.co.uk/ for some more like minded people (and yes, my username is the same).

Already there Andy! ;)

I followed a link on there to watch a few of the Forensic Detailing Channel vids on You Tube ... serious stuff but he's a down to earth chap.!

The wife found me watching his "Tour of his garage and products" vid and has already ordered the white jacket for me that mss suggested! :D

Regards

John