The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   World population control anyone? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=304733)

MissMoppet 6th May 2020 19:16

World population control anyone?

"The world's population is now 6.7Bn, roughly double what it was when I was born. I simply cannot understand why no-one discusses this impending calamity, and why no world statesmen have the guts to treat the issue with the seriousness it deserves. We seem to have given up on population control." - said Boris Johnson 25 October 2007 in the Daily Telegraph.

Well that didn't work out then, did it?

(PS Being of simple mind but a curious nature a few months ago I lodged a FOI request to the Cabinet Office, asking "How many children has the PM?" After some delay the reply came: "I am writing to advise you that following a search of our paper and electronic records, I have established that the information you requested is not held by the Cabinet Office." I bet they didn't look very hard . . .)

macafee2 6th May 2020 19:38

I thought china tried some control with a 1 child policy.

Science is a reason our population increases, we cure illnesses. I'm not going to, but perhaps I should include lockdown as a reason our population is not able to decrease enough. May be mother nature has its way of controlling the population but science comes along and thwarts it.
We try to cure famine in the 3rd world, another add to the population for the "few" that survive.

I have no idea how you could easily control the population growth.

SCP440 6th May 2020 20:55

The population is increasing quicker in the poorer parts of the world. In these parts of the world with a higher child mortality rate and needing more children to work families with several children is considered normal. With the mortality rate reducing it does not take many generations especially with them having babies at a young age before there is a big increase in numbers.

The other thing is we have not had a major world conflict for 75 years or bad pandemic for 100 years. 40 million 1st world war, 50 million Spanish flu and 85 million 2nd world war.

Most modern developed countries population stays consistent or even decreases, places like Japan have a problem that they have an ageing population as many couple have only had one child for a few decades.

KWIL 7th May 2020 07:59

On top of all this we are now being told that by 2070 a considerable area of the world will be too hot to sustain life, so there will be ever increasing migration to more temporate climes. I wonder where that will be?....

coolcat 7th May 2020 12:18

A World War always used to drop the population count :eek:

Short of a war or some natural cataclysm the only way to control population would be by totalitarian rule!
Not something we would want I'm sure.

Time to start exploring space and finding other worlds for us to populate and pillage.

Happy Days :getmecoat:

M17TT 7th May 2020 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2811089)
A World War always used to drop the population count :eek:

Short of a war or some natural cataclysm the only way to control population would be by totalitarian rule!
Not something we would want I'm sure.

Time to start exploring space and finding other worlds for us to populate and pillage.

Happy Days :getmecoat:

Finding new worlds is the relatively easy part, its getting to them.

wraymond 7th May 2020 13:11

Given the historic greed and vandalism by mankind, I wouldn't criticise Mother Nature. She is incredibly generous and patient in the extreme. She is gentle and takes her time to provide the means of sustenance of her sometimes wilful children. Not unlike a real Mother.

The problem is to some extent down to indiscriminate casual procreation and the fall from grace of social respect and tolerance. People read all kinds of dubious meanings into pandemics, often as some sort of retribution - there are notable old books full of it - but in the end it's a simple equation. The nature of Man is at fault, from greed, fear, and territorial ambition.

jackatesme 7th May 2020 14:31

If every country in the world progressed up to the standard of America. Then the world would need to be 5 times it's size to create the energy needed.

KWIL 7th May 2020 17:34

Jakeatesme is quite correct, consider also why the rest of the world (in general) cannot be brought up to western standards, there is not enough energy, raw materials or food to do so.

macafee2 7th May 2020 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraymond (Post 2811102)
Given the historic greed and vandalism by mankind, I wouldn't criticise Mother Nature. She is incredibly generous and patient in the extreme. She is gentle and takes her time to provide the means of sustenance of her sometimes wilful children. Not unlike a real Mother.

The problem is to some extent down to indiscriminate casual procreation and the fall from grace of social respect and tolerance. People read all kinds of dubious meanings into pandemics, often as some sort of retribution - there are notable old books full of it - but in the end it's a simple equation. The nature of Man is at fault, from greed, fear, and territorial ambition.

can you help me understand how greed, fear, and territorial ambition
connects to the title of the thread, World population control anyone?

macafee2