The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Removing Diesel Alternator and power steering pump (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=322964)

macafee2 14th February 2023 12:43

Removing Diesel Alternator and power steering pump

Rave and Haynes do not mention having to move the power steering pump when removing the alternator.
I have the 3 bolts out of the alternator and the belt and pulley off of the power steering pump but I cannot remove the alternator. Is there a knack to it such as tilting in any direction?

The base of the alternator is hitting what ever is below it and the top hits the power steering pump when the alternator is tilted top backwards.

To those that remove the alternator with the slam panel and radiator in place, you have my upmost respect. :bowdown:

macafee2

macafee2 14th February 2023 14:40

I have been out again to the car and spent another 10 minutes trying to get the alternator off and I can confirm, having trapped the end of my finger under the alternator, the steering pump does not need to be moved.
I'm not to sure how I got the alternator off, I think a tilt back, push down and lever the base forward.

Phew!

Oh, I did find out there is more space between the tensioner and chassis, when the belt is on then when it is off. As once he belt was off the the tensioner moved, my spanner was trapped :)

macafee2

Number 6 14th February 2023 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2960839)
I have been out again to the car and spent another 10 minutes trying to get the alternator off and I can confirm, having trapped the end of my finger under the alternator, the steering pump does not need to be moved.
I'm not to sure how I got the alternator off, I think a tilt back, push down and lever the base forward.

Phew!

Oh, I did find out there is more space between the tensioner and chassis, when the belt is on then when it is off. As once he belt was off the the tensioner moved, my spanner was trapped :)

macafee2

And to quote Mr Haynes,, Re-Fitting is a Reversal of what you have just done.

Or words to that effect;)

macafee2 14th February 2023 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2960840)
And to quote Mr Haynes,, Re-Fitting is a Reversal of what you have just done.

Or words to that effect;)

but easier....... I hope:D

macafee2

trikey 14th February 2023 17:40

Its much easier to change the alternator from underneath, just move the aircon pump to one side, leave the aircon pipes on.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

dave lincs 14th February 2023 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2960858)
Its much easier to change the alternator from underneath, just move the aircon pump to one side, leave the aircon pipes on.

Yes this is the way I do it as I seem to remember you watching me do it this way many year's ago

Nantwich 75 14th February 2023 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2960846)
but easier....... I hope:D

macafee2

....and without trapping the end of your finger.....

macafee2 14th February 2023 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave lincs (Post 2960861)
Yes this is the way I do it as I seem to remember you watching me do it this way many year's ago

You had the chance to show me, I did ask you for help!

macafee2

macafee2 14th February 2023 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2960858)

I think I'd need to watch how thats done. I'm not sure I could do it that way.

macafee2

macafee2 14th February 2023 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nantwich 75 (Post 2960862)
....and without trapping the end of your finger.....

Managed to get the alternator on without trapping a finger, I just need to tighten the bolts.
I did get fooled by the small bolt on the near side. It actually goes through but does not screw into a big nut, that is fixed in to the alternator chassis. I did have to take the alternator off to check what was going on as I thought the bolt screwed into that nut. :duh:

I'm much more upbeat then I have been. I bet the belts will be a challenge. New belts being fitted. New Vitron O rings also being fitted. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

macafee2