The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   CDT Auto "Chugging" at lower speeds (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296792)

Alanbp 21st June 2019 09:16

CDT Auto "Chugging" at lower speeds

Hi Folks
I have noticed over the last few months that my 2002 165k miles CDT Auto Tourer does what I can only describe as "chugging" at lower speeds - especially when warm and slowing down. Classic occurance is when I have been cruising at 60 on an A road, come to a village with a 40 mph limit and as the car slow to a steady 40, it exhibits similar symptoms to being in a manual car in too high a gear. If I press the accelerator pedal it stops. Gearbox has fresh fluid in it and performs faultlessly (by & large) wondering if it might be fuel related? Its got a Ron Box on (last £12k miles) Need to try in sports mode to see if its better, ie change down sooner.

Anyone else had this?

Cheers
Alan

Vossy 21st June 2019 10:49

I have exactly this with mine, 2003 CDTi, it feels just as if it's locked into a higher gear at 30 mph, when it's in sports mode it doesn't do it, using sports mode does make these diesels drive a hell of a lot better (in my humble opinion).
I don't have a tuning box on my car though so I doubt that is the problem.

COLVERT 21st June 2019 18:25

Possibly fuel related due to slightly clogged injectors.---Poor spray pattern will show more at low engine speeds.---:}

Mickyboy 21st June 2019 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2742335)
Possibly fuel related due to slightly clogged injectors.---Poor spray pattern will show more at low engine speeds.---:}

Yep seen that many times, very good advice
Mick

COLVERT 23rd June 2019 20:15

If only these guys would come back and read the answers to their questions.----:mad::mad::mad:

Vossy 24th June 2019 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2742786)
If only these guys would come back and read the answers to their questions.----:mad::mad::mad:

Hi, I came back yesterday and read the replies. I didn't see the need to post any more details to what I added.

The next time I am near a T4 or I can get to one of the meetings I may have it looked at but seeing as I drive most of the time in sports mode it doesn't bother me that much.

BigRuss 24th June 2019 09:38

It's a common problem, that seems to be particular with the diesels ;)

A quick tap on the accelerator usually prompts the gearbox to change down and all it then well.

There isn't a great deal you can do about it I'm afraid it's down to the poor software in the autobox ECU ;)

Russ

Alanbp 30th July 2019 08:48

Thanks for the replies. The weird thing is that it seems to be a recent change and I suspect that the injectors are part their best. Its at 165k miles now. Probably original injectors. I do use Miller's Ecomax. Though not every tank. Its fitted with a Rover Ron box but it was ok when I first fitted it. Much better in sport mode and doesn't do it when in that.

Vossy 30th July 2019 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRuss (Post 2742907)
It's a common problem, that seems to be particular with the diesels ;)

A quick tap on the accelerator usually prompts the gearbox to change down and all it then well.

There isn't a great deal you can do about it I'm afraid it's down to the poor software in the autobox ECU ;)

Russ

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alanbp (Post 2751273)
Thanks for the replies. The weird thing is that it seems to be a recent change and I suspect that the injectors are part their best. Its at 165k miles now. Probably original injectors. I do use Miller's Ecomax. Though not every tank. Its fitted with a Rover Ron box but it was ok when I first fitted it. Much better in sport mode and doesn't do it when in that.

As Russ says, poor software in the autobox and that's why running in sport mode cures it. I wish mine would be default in Sports Mode and then the switch was for economy instead of the other way round.