The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Laptop screen replacement (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299876)

uk_dave&gill 11th October 2019 17:25

Laptop screen replacement

About three months ago, one of the dogs managed to knock my laptop on the floor. It still worked, but there was a crack bottom right, which I soon got used to.

About a month ago, Gill was vacuuming, it was charging, the vacuum caught the cable and... once more on the floor! Again, still worked, but this time there was a crack going from bottom left, up to the middle, and then down to meet the original one. The "segments" it left all appeared to have a slightly different colour/contrast so time for a new one, which I ordered

After a few days plucking up the nerve to swap it, I gave it a go. First attempt failed as the connector must have come loose on refitting. Second go, I taped the connector up, and other then cutting my finger on a sharp piece of plastic, all went well!

However, I soon noticed an odd area top left, which was possibly a dead pixel, although didn't appear black (it was blue, so maybe a stuck pixel) and had a halo effect around it. The supplier offered some money back or exchange, and I opted for the former, but before the deal was sorted, the whole screen went odd, with striped all over it rendering it unusable. A refit didn't sort this, so I asked for an exchange and put the original, broken, screen back on

Screen #2 arrived quickly and was fitted. Initially all appeared fine, but I soon noticed that the brightness was very low, even when cranked up to 100% (from the 60% or so that it was initially on). When emailing the supplier about this I also notice a wavy line about 2" in from the right, all the way from top to bottom, which wasn't coloured but distorted text. So this screen went back too, for a refund

I then (yesterday) ordered a screen from a different supplier. I've just put it on and although there's no dead pixels or distorted wavy lines, this one is also very dull - perhaps not as dull as screen #2, but still very taxing on the eyes. Also there's a thin strip top left, extending horizontally around 4" across the very edge of the screen, starting around 1mm deep and thinning to nothing. There's a physical edge all the way across the top, which you can feel with a fingernail (not present on the old screen) and a small chip top left, although this is not visible with the screen on :(

So, does anyone know if this is the best I'm going to get? If I reject this one too, will another one likely also have problems? Is there any way to improve the brightness or do I just have to live with it? I really don't want another laptop (can't afford one currently and I don't want the pain of swapping all my data and programs over)

Any advice appreciated! The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C70D-B-10U btw :)

Nige B 11th October 2019 17:35

I replaced mine (damaged somehow ??) with a screen from a second hand laptop of the same make / model .No problems at all and I get all the other parts which may go faulty in time, as well..:}

uk_dave&gill 11th October 2019 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige B (Post 2767985)
I replaced mine (damaged somehow ??) with a screen from a second hand laptop of the same make / model .No problems at all and I get all the other parts which may go faulty in time, as well..:}

Sounds like a good plan!

My first two screens were £57. The latest was £63

Just today, a spares or repair identical model has appeared on eBay for £20! Having said that, it looks terrible! There's one that looks good for £130 - I'd have probably been better off with getting that and swapping my HDD into it...

M17TT 11th October 2019 21:36

Most laptop screens will fit as long as its the same size, doesnt have to be the same manufacturer. There are only 3 or 4 screen makers with most brands using either samsung or LG.