The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rover V6 engine spares (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291014)

AndySA 14th December 2018 20:18

Rover V6 engine spares

Hi all,

Haven't purchased car yet. Is there any problem getting engine spares for the Rover V6? Thinking that the 1.8T might be a more sensible option in this regard.

Andrew

Ravinder 15th December 2018 08:33

Common things like service parts, timing belts, thermostat, VIS motors can all still be had no problem. No different to 1800 turbo. The turbo is the nicer engine, though. :xmas-smiley-008:

AndySA 15th December 2018 09:15

Hi Ravinder

Thanks for reply, the 1.8T I drove certainly had a lot more oomph and is a lot simpler. I don't suppose the V6 engine is still being made so presumably 'non- consumables' such as cylinder heads, liners etc are only available as second hand?
AndySA

SD1too 15th December 2018 09:46

Have a look at Rimmer's website Andy. The answers to all the doubts you have are there.

By the way, you shouldn't ever need cylinder heads or liners.

Simon

AndySA 15th December 2018 10:25

You are right of course, I tend to overdo the 'what ifs'. Thanks Simon, never thought of Rimmers.
Andy

Gate Keeper 15th December 2018 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndySA (Post 2694565)
Hi all,

Haven't purchased car yet. Is there any problem getting engine spares for the Rover V6? Thinking that the 1.8T might be a more sensible option in this regard.

Andrew

Have a chat with Kaiser. He is a forum member in Johannesburg and he runs several Rovers including a V8. Most of the 75’s I have seen in the western Cape, have been 1.8T, more economical than a V6. I met Kaiser in JHB, he is one of the nicest chaps you’d ever want to meet and he is quite resourceful. Welcome to the club.

AndySA 15th December 2018 20:03

Thanks for the welcome Philip.
I did have the pleasure of meeting Kaiser a couple of months ago. A very helpful and knowledgeable man with a passion for cars. I told him I was having trouble deciding which model to buy and he suggested the 1.8T would probably be the cheapest to maintain and easiest to get spares for in the future. Many more good condition 2.5's around though.
Andy

trikey 15th December 2018 20:18

Plenty of spares available for the 1.8 & the V6, no need to worry, as long as you can handle the shipping delays :)

Ravinder 15th December 2018 21:13

1.8 turbo much nicer then V6 in my opinion having owned both. A lot more torque and quicker. Reliable. None of the thermostat and VIS motor issues. Not a huge awkward job to do timing belt like V6 and a lot more room in the engine bay! Not crammed like the V6 or diesels and still gives you better fuel economy.