The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Metal thermostat housing KV6 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=24992)

kaiser 13th August 2008 06:09

Metal thermostat housing KV6

I have now got a cracked and leaking thermostat housing on my V6. Less than a year old!
I am going to make a housing in cast aluminium or brass, and split it, so that the thermostat itself can be replaced.
If anyone would be interested in one, in principle, please let me know.
At the moment just dong feasibility.

MikeHurley 13th August 2008 16:38

yes I'd be interested in one in due course having replaced the Plastic thing in my KV6 last year. Surprised they were never made of metal in the 1st place as the plastic ones have a reputation of rattling and wearing themselves over a couple of years and then fracturing. Lets have some pics when you've developed your prototype.

HOMER 14th August 2008 17:03

Just had mine all replaced so I would be interested for the future as I'm sure it'll go again. :)

stocktake 14th August 2008 18:07

As above, great idea. would be interested :)

black olive 14th August 2008 22:24

sounds like a good idea, the problem would be design/tooling costs for a lost wax or pressure die casting, not sure the demand would be great enough to recoup development costs

kaiser 15th August 2008 14:27

Working on it, will let you know.:)

Jules 23rd December 2008 00:23

Any news on these Kaiser?
I would imagine there would be a popular market for these:xmas-smiley-023:

kaiser 23rd December 2008 05:25

No, no news yet.
I am about getting my own unit up and running, but I have damaged one O-ring in the petrol injection pipe, and had to order a replacement.
I hope to get the engine running over Christmas, but you know many good intentions go awry over this period:icon_eek:
I will report back when done and dusted!

EXMSRalph 23rd December 2008 12:02

Depending upon the final price, we might be interested in these ;)

kaiser 27th December 2008 16:45

I have now finally got the engine back together.
I had difficulty in getting the seal right on the front injector pipe. Turned out there was a bit of an o-ring that had got squeezed and disappeared.
Blew the pipe out, but never noticed the missing part.

The good news:
I have taken the car for a short spin. The thermostat seems to work fine, no leaks, quick warm up, cooler running. Still have to do a longer run, because:
The bad news.
I have picked up an (more) engine fault(s), yellow light on. The car runs fine, but a little rough, and then it will loose a bit of power. There is black smoke from the exhaust, as if unburnt petrol.
The question(s).
1. If I have lost petrol pressure and this triggered the (yellow engine) light?
a. will the light stay on until cleared?
b. will this cause the engine to run in limp mode until cleared?
c. can I re-set and clear the engine light without special tools?

The advice.
Before you undertake a strip of the engine, take many pictures, and make sure the light is bright and the pictures sharp. It saved my bacon with the connection of supply/return petrol and also with the one wiring loom where I could not find the corresponding connector. Turned out to be on another wire hiding behind the rear bank of cylinders. Easy! (, if you know how.!)