The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Valeting Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   scratch removal products (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=242545)

respace 16th April 2016 10:44

scratch removal products

Has anyone found one of these that works? Despite investing a small fortune in the promises of 'permanent' removal in their youtube videos with their 'new technology products' as soon as the shine wears off/it rains the scratches reappear.

Southside 16th April 2016 11:50

At the end of the day a scratch is a scratch, as much as you try and hide it nothing will magically bring the paint pack without having it re-painted.

Teflon 16th April 2016 11:56

Depends how deep it is. If it hasn't gone right through the clear coat, you should be able to polish it out using something like Meguires ScratchX. May need wet sanding first in some cases, which can be quite scary the first time you try it. :eek:

Cliff

steve1975 16th April 2016 12:46

what teflon said,how deep is it? can you catch your nail in it? if it is deep,it 'may' come out but would need wet sanded flat to get rid of the 'ridge' and 'flattern' it slighty,then multi stage polish with either a DA or rotary polisher ;)

Alikris 16th April 2016 13:35

These 'scratch removal' products are wrongly maned, they do not 'remove' scratches, they fill them thereby making them less visible. As you say, when it rains, or you clean the car or though natural erosion etc the filling inside the scratch dissolves away and the scratch is visible again. Total waste of money IMO.

Ali.

Number 6 16th April 2016 18:46

I have just removed a scratch and Rub mark off my car using WD40 after seeing a you tube clip sprayed the WD on and rub around the area of the scratch wipe off and the scratch/rub had gone.I then used a polish on top and all appears OK How long for I dont know:shrug: will have to wait and see.

steve1975 16th April 2016 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2267650)
I have just removed a scratch and Rub mark off my car using WD40 after seeing a you tube clip sprayed the WD on and rub around the area of the scratch wipe off and the scratch/rub had gone.I then used a polish on top and all appears OK How long for I dont know:shrug: will have to wait and see.

it won't last mate,it'll be back....think about it,how the hell is wd40 gonna remove a scratch :shrug:

Number 6 16th April 2016 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve1975 (Post 2267664)
it won't last mate,it'll be back....think about it,how the hell is wd40 gonna remove a scratch :shrug:

Well I aint got a clue But as I said "How long it will last I dont know" Will wait and see I will let you know when and if it comes back;)

klarzy 16th April 2016 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2267719)
Well I aint got a clue But as I said "How long it will last I dont know" Will wait and see I will let you know when and if it comes back;)

I think it contains a light solvent which can soften the paint / lacquer... it also wet's the dry surface of any scratch which will darken it making it harder to see...

once the oil dries it will be visible again though, it like using insect spray on headlights, they go clear, but only until the solvents wash off...

alanjay 16th April 2016 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by respace (Post 2267330)
Has anyone found one of these that works? Despite investing a small fortune in the promises of 'permanent' removal in their youtube videos with their 'new technology products' as soon as the shine wears off/it rains the scratches reappear.

When I saw this link on the club site I did not believe it but thought, what the heck, give a try and I found out it worked.

In my experience it works for any fine line scratch that has penetrated top coat plus paint, right through to primer, only time it doesn't work is scratches to bare metal.

Scratches I've treated like this, then waxed over, have been hidden forever.

Might look like "Snake Oil" but it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2HIuJR43A