The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Won't start (KV6), initial suggestions please (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295796)

p2roverman 16th May 2019 08:21

Won't start (KV6), initial suggestions please

Fired up immediately, ran for a second, then died. Now spins over but won't start.
I can hear the petrol pump run for a few seconds then stop, suggesting that the fuel line is pressurised and petrol is available for the injectors.

I'd appreciate suggestions on where next to look or try. I'm thinking perhaps crankshaft position sensor. After that I just don't know, hence this post.

T-Cut 16th May 2019 09:08

Have you checked whether it has the Fabled Orange Clip fitted to the fuel filter? If not, then fit one now.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you've al least eliminated the No1 cause of non-starting petrol engines.

TC

190+ 16th May 2019 09:29

how can you be sure the fuel is presserised?
When this happened to me i checked the pressure by suing the small pipe between the throttle body and the engine (the one with the blue cap on)
if there was no pressure it could be no pump.seperated filter or no power to the injectors. ive found the crankshaft position sensor to be pretty robust.
On mine it turned out to be a separated fuel filter

T-Cut 16th May 2019 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by p2roverman (Post 2734040)
I can hear the petrol pump run for a few seconds then stop, suggesting that the fuel line is pressurised and petrol is available for the injectors.

All it tells you is that the engine isn't starting. The pump runs for a short time at ignition on, but will stop if cranking doesn't start the engine. Loss of fuel delivery pressure caused by FFS (Fuel Filter Syndrome) prevents starting. It must be at 50psi or more to work. FFS is the primary cause of startup failure in later petrol models. It's part of the 75/ZT heritage the almost every owner goes through - sooner or later. It's imperative to check for the Fabled Orange Clip (FOC) FOC.

TC

COLVERT 16th May 2019 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 190+ (Post 2734054)
how can you be sure the fuel is presserised?
When this happened to me i checked the pressure by suing the small pipe between the throttle body and the engine (the one with the blue cap on)
if there was no pressure it could be no pump.seperated filter or no power to the injectors. ive found the crankshaft position sensor to be pretty robust.
On mine it turned out to be a separated fuel filter

What does the bit in RED mean, please??

slovcan 16th May 2019 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2734240)
What does the bit in RED mean, please??

If I had to guess, I'd say "using" was typo-ed resulting in "suing". FFS - Fat Finger Syndrome, happens to me a lot. :}

Cheers,
Glenn

p2roverman 17th May 2019 10:04

Thanks for the advice so far. I only assumed there was fuel as I heard the pump run for a few seconds after switching on the ignition but without cranking the engine (would not have been able to hear the pump). The fact that the pump stopped after a few seconds I think tells me that there is fuel under pressure in the line; perhaps this is notthe case?
Next test will be to diconnect the fuel line and test again.
I have of course heard about the Orange Clip and perhaps should get and fit one anyway.

Yorkshire GOC 17th May 2019 10:33

A simple diagnostic for crank sensor failure is when you turn the key the rev counter will not flicker/move - that is pretty indicative of the crank sensor failing.

T-Cut 17th May 2019 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by p2roverman (Post 2734309)
The fact that the pump stopped after a few seconds I think tells me that there is fuel under pressure in the line; perhaps this is not the case?

No it doesn't tell anything about the fuel pressure, that's the point.

Post 5?

TC

p2roverman 25th May 2019 14:53

Limited progress, have early filter so not the 'orange clip' issue. Now to try MGJohn's method of squirting fuel into the manifold, difficult as I'm on my own