The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   PCV Filter (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=314657)

littleun 11th August 2021 20:16

PCV Filter

I am changing my filters and wondered if I should purchase a new pcv filter as usual or I have just seen that you can fit a pcv bypass kit and do away with changing filter every time you do a service, just wondered what you think and if anyone has any experience on having a bypass fitted, many thanks.;)

dave lincs 11th August 2021 20:19

I would just change the filter

ardvark 12th August 2021 06:27

I fitted a BMW kit many moons ago and had no problem at all. But on saying that if I was to choose what to do now I would just change the filter every year I service the car. No reason for this but I am thinking along the lines it's better to have a filter than not.

Arctic 12th August 2021 07:40

Filter every time for me and most wont need changing every 12 months maybe 18 months, having said that for what they cost do it annually same as your air and oil filters.

tourer 12th August 2021 08:07

For what it's worth, I had my CDT for 12 years.
I bought a spare pcv filter, fitted it and washed the old one in petrol. Dryed in a rag and refitted one year later at the next service. Repeated with the one taken out etc.
Never had a problem and the car still running well at 19 years old.

AndyN01 12th August 2021 09:15

What Arctic says - as usual :D:D

Ched 12th August 2021 12:31

I fitted a cyclone fit and forget one about 2 years ago, on the last service I replaced it with a filter which will get changed on every oil change, peace of mind really.

Mike Noc 12th August 2021 18:42

Funnily enough for peace of mind I always fit a vortex. :}

The original cotton reel was never designed to be a filter, it is a separator to separate oil from excess air pressure and any bypass gases so that the crankcase can remain at ambient pressure. When it starts becoming a filter is when the problems begin, as there is a risk it can block and over pressurise the crankcase.

At least with the vortex modification that can't happen. The worst case scenario with the vortex, as long as the depression limiter valve is working, is that you could carry oil over into the intake over time. But in practice I haven't seen this and still don't have to top the oil up in between 15k mile servicing.

I have fitted half a dozen vortex PCVs and never had a problem so far.

If you are checking and cleaning or changing the cotton reel regularly then it won't block so it is all up to personal preference. Each to their own. ;)

littleun 12th August 2021 21:34

Many thanks for all your opinions will mull it over a while, @ Mike Noc I noticed you have a Freelander TD4 are they the same engine ad the rover 75 cdt? ;)

Mike Noc 12th August 2021 22:47

Yes pretty much - different turbo and a couple of other minor bits. And Land Rover found a far better and drier place to put the ECM. :D