The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Four Day Social Media boycott (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312685)

Darcydog 30th April 2021 14:15

Four Day Social Media boycott

Huge boycott by sports players of social media against these companies doing little or nothing to combat horrendous abuse of players.

From Formula 1 to Cycling and Football, Rugby Cricket to Horse Racing - the boycott is across the board.

I will also boycott - but to be honest - this is easy for me as I hardly use FB at all and none of the others.

But other more regular users may want to join the boycott.

trikey 30th April 2021 14:30

Ironic that most of them use social media to promote themselves?

greendriver 30th April 2021 14:45

Does this site qualify as social media...?

...unsocial media occasionally..;)

coolguy 30th April 2021 15:38

No problem for me to join in - never used social media, and have no desire to do so. I have a life!

Teflon 30th April 2021 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2879025)

I will also boycott - but to be honest - this is easy for me as I hardly use FB at all and none of the others.........

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolguy (Post 2879035)
No problem for me to join in - never used social media, and have no desire to do so. I have a life!

Cambridge dictionary defines social media as: "websites and computer programs that allow people to communicate and share information on the internet using a computer or mobile phone..."

So it would seem that you're both regular users :D :getmecoat:

Of course, I'm being a little pedantic, and I think most of us would probably accept a looser definition that restricts it to Facebook; Twitter; and the like. Just couldn't resist ;)

Cliff

macafee2 30th April 2021 15:55

I think I heard on the news earlier a footballer from a small team I think is giving up football due to unpleasantness

macafee2

stevestrat 30th April 2021 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2879039)
I think I heard on the news earlier a footballer from a small team I think is giving up football due to unpleasantness

macafee2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56940793 Sadly the "unpleasantness" came from a player in the opposing team. Scottish Football Association is investigating.

Lovel 30th April 2021 17:14

Pathetic virtue signalling from overpaid hasbeens.

Darcydog 30th April 2021 18:22

I would suggest that a a moderated forum this is hardly likely to allow the sort of trolling and vicious comments seen on “Social Media”.

What sort of sick person tells a player to hang himself, shoot himself in the head or to “die in a fire”.

It anonymity of the internet allows these sad people the outlet they have never previously had. The classic troll seems to be a socially inept loner who lives with his or her parents. These people would simply have existed a few decades ago - but now social media gives them the power to shock and offend with little chance of any comeback.

They exist in an environment with practically no social cues as to “normal behaviour” so perhaps it is not surprising these social misfits seek to have an impact.:shrug:

macafee2 30th April 2021 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2879067)
I would suggest that a a moderated forum this is hardly likely to allow the sort of trolling and vicious comments seen on “Social Media”.

What sort of sick person tells a player to hang himself, shoot himself in the head or to “die in a fire”.

It anonymity of the internet allows these sad people the outlet they have never previously had. The classic troll seems to be a socially inept loner who lives with his or her parents. These people would simply have existed a few decades ago - but now social media gives them the power to shock and offend with little chance of any comeback.

They exist in an environment with practically no social cues as to “normal behaviour” so perhaps it is not surprising these social misfits seek to have an impact.:shrug:

why do people read such messages? Why not restrict who can see your "facebook" stuff and who can comment.
We know there are nasty people about so stay away from it. There are those that get a kick out of being nasty.

macafee2