The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MGRover paint finish. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=261819)

mileshawk56 11th February 2017 18:33

MGRover paint finish.

Just spent an interesting hour browsing an Mercedes owners site, interesting in that there were nearly 100 pages concerned with "pimpling" on paint particularly on Red colours and the efforts of owners to get any action from MB. Resprays etc. These were 2014 era cars. I realise our cars are at least 12years old now but wondered if there had been any similar problems at MGRover. I can remember this condition appearing on various cars around 2000/02 and talk then was of changes to water based paints/save the planet activity. Chris.S.

Stu67 11th February 2017 18:53

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the reasons that BMW originally purchased Rover were the paint facilities. It was something to do with the development of the new mini models for which they wanted the tech, Rover (the taxpayer) had invested heavily in the paint plant and it was superior to those on the continent?

ziggy72 11th February 2017 19:13

I do quality control in a bodyshop and can honestly say the paintwork for the 75 / ZT is excellent from the factory. A really nice flow unlike a lot of newer cars with a motley slightly orange peal finish.
Like has been said, water based Basecoat doesn't help.

Pete 11th February 2017 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu67 (Post 2446364)
I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the reasons that BMW originally purchased Rover were the paint facilities. It was something to do with the development of the new mini models for which they wanted the tech, Rover (the taxpayer) had invested heavily in the paint plant and it was superior to those on the continent?

From memory, BMW contracted Durr to install a new paint plant in Longbridge soon after purchase in 94 and later put in a new facility at Cowley. I think the paint was from a local firm called Carrs.

Organiser 12th February 2017 14:53

Carrs Paints were the main paint supplier to Longbridge, Dupont were the technical partners to Carrs and eventually bought them out later on. IDAC (ICI/Dupont) also supplied material as did PPG.

Durr and most of the main paint suppliers Dupont, PPG and BASF also supply most of the worlds car paint plants.

Tom.

Ex ICI / Dupont Paint Technical Service.

Yorkshire GOC 12th February 2017 15:04

Amongst all the MG/Rover 75 paints Copperleaf has the reputation of peeling / pimpling without obvious cause.

maxi_crawf 12th February 2017 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2446769)
Amongst all the MG/Rover 75 paints Copperleaf has the reputation of peeling / pimpling without obvious cause.

I have a Copperleaf and the pox on the bonnet is quite pronounced, it's got between the top clear Lacquer coat and the red, like white watery blistered pimples.

Organiser 12th February 2017 16:29

Hi,

Sounds like micro blistering this is normally caused by a contaminant between the surfacer and topcoats possiblely water vapour?

It will need to removed down to at least the e-coat level and repainted to solve it correctly!

Tom.

mininuts 12th February 2017 16:35

It's a pity the quality paint process wasn't used on the later Mpi Minis :duh: :D

maxi_crawf 12th February 2017 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Organiser (Post 2446832)
Hi,

Sounds like micro blistering this is normally caused by a contaminant between the surfacer and topcoats possiblely water vapour?

It will need to removed down to at least the e-coat level and repainted to solve it correctly!

Tom.

The thing is the blisters are joining up in places so as far as I can see it's either a re-spray or a donor bonnet, it's only on the passenger side, the drivers side is clear.