The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Urgent help required - Bones is in a coma! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292434)

Bogbrush82 31st January 2019 11:28

Urgent help required - Bones is in a coma!

Tried to start Bones today, only to find it won't. The starter motor engages and wizzes around, but that's it. Tried a jump start and that didn't work,. In a real fix right now as it was supposed to have some work done to it in order to get it through it's next MOT.

Help! :(

Edit - Forgot to mention - The horn beeps momentarily every time I lock the car.

Dawn 31st January 2019 11:33

It shouldnt be the battery as it had a new one from Sutton Auto Factors during my ownership. Unless its stood a lot? The alarm does drain them if not driven. Other than that over to the mechanical gurus!

Canonite 31st January 2019 11:37

If the battery hasn’t been charged following the summer, there’s a good chance it’s run down. Put a meter on it and see what the voltage is

operamagorum 31st January 2019 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 (Post 2707258)
Tried to start Bones today, only to find it won't. The starter motor engages and wizzes around, but that's it. Tried a jump start and that didn't work,. In a real fix right now as it was supposed to have some work done to it in order to get it through it's next MOT.

Help! :(

Edit - Forgot to mention - The horn beeps momentarily every time I lock the car.

I had exactly the same problem. Turned out to be a dog blanket stopping my tourer rear hatch from closing fully, which left the interior lights on. Charged the battery and all good to go!

pletevl 31st January 2019 12:50

But he says the starter motor engages and turns so how can it be the battery ?

Teflon 31st January 2019 12:52

Cam sensor perhaps?

Cliff

Bogbrush82 31st January 2019 12:57

Now you see that's the problem. The battery was fine when I tried it, but all I got was a whirring noise from the starter motor, but no evidence of the engine turning.

Unfortunately trying to get it to start has now flattened it. :(

MSS 31st January 2019 13:07

The first thing to do is to get a fully charged battery on the car. Then try to start it and see how things progress.

The beep is most likely a frozen door sensor microswitch due to the cold. Nothing to worry about as they sort themselves when when the car warms up.

ATSBod 31st January 2019 13:10

Sorry to butt in here but I was there when David was trying to start it and, to me, is sounds horribly as though the flywheel is whizzing round and the rest of the engine is not :eek: Either that, or there is NO compression at all :eek: :eek:

I hope I'm wrong!

Teflon 31st January 2019 14:20

Sounds like the starter motor is not engaging with the flywheel, so it's just spinning on it's own. As MSS has said, first thing is to get the battery sorted and go from there.

Cliff