The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Problem deciding (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=280591)

hellofadriver75 13th March 2018 08:21

Problem deciding

I have had my lovely Rover 75 for several months and its fab, but it has only 22 000 on the milege but the age is 04 so should I put a new timing belt on it or not ...is it a big risk not to?

Also someone scratched up one side with a slight dent/crease too and did not tell me and disappeared. Any advice re repairing this ...it stretches along 2 side doors......I am in Newton Abbot. :shrug:

Mike Noc 13th March 2018 08:36

Assuming it is the 1.8 as you are only talking about a single timing belt then yes it is a no brainer; replace it.

Depending on the colour the cheapest and quickest option for the scrape may be to buy a couple of second hand doors and fit them.

steve-45 13th March 2018 10:46

Profile says its a V6 ....... :eek:

Avulon 13th March 2018 12:23

Is there any record of the timing belts (plural for a v6!) being changed before? Should have been done at 6 year intervals regardless according to the service schedule. If not then I'd give them a close examination and then make a decision if it were up to me. But regardless without any record of a belt change I think I'd plan to get them done even they don't look too bad. Would be a shame to for a broken belt due to age ruin such a low mileage engine. In saying this I am assuming that the condition of the rest of the car matches that 22,000 mileage?

bazyerma 13th March 2018 14:05

Out of interest, has anyone had a low mileage but old belt snap on them?

I just replace my belts on my Ducati, after 4 years but with only 2000 miles on them and I think I might have just wasted money looking at them!

(They are supposed to be replaced every 2 years or 12400 miles)

chris75 13th March 2018 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazyerma (Post 2606052)
Out of interest, has anyone had a low mileage but old belt snap on them?

Good question :}
Anyone ?

hellofadriver75 13th March 2018 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2606029)
Is there any record of the timing belts (plural for a v6!) being changed before? Should have been done at 6 year intervals regardless according to the service schedule. If not then I'd give them a close examination and then make a decision if it were up to me. But regardless without any record of a belt change I think I'd plan to get them done even they don't look too bad. Would be a shame to for a broken belt due to age ruin such a low mileage engine. In saying this I am assuming that the condition of the rest of the car matches that 22,000 mileage?

Thankyou... it is a V6 engine so it is 2497 cc (lady driver not much idea of engines !),
and there is no evidence of any change of timing belts. The late owner was elderly and didn't drive it much. One garage had a quick look and said 495 pounds odd, and another said 700 pounds odd. Without inspecting anything. Yes I was thinking id like to keep the car and it is in good condition. One rear seat wont fold down flat. Got the warning light on for brake pads, so have booked them in today.

hellofadriver75 13th March 2018 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2605946)
Assuming it is the 1.8 as you are only talking about a single timing belt then yes it is a no brainer; replace it.

Depending on the colour the cheapest and quickest option for the scrape may be to buy a couple of second hand doors and fit them.

Thanks good idea re doors I ll go to some scrappys and try and find some.

suzublu 13th March 2018 20:05

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...play.php?f=116 Are in Devon, plus another well known garage whose name escapes me for now:o Rear seats not folding are a common problem, the solution can be found in the "How to" section:cool:
Lynne from Newton Abbott? rings a bell:cool:

hellofadriver75 13th March 2018 21:06

Thanks for that, I ll check it out.