The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Back tyre side wall cut by inner wing (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=276050)

aovc 19th November 2017 19:01

Back tyre side wall cut by inner wing

2004 Rover 75 Diesel estate.

Had whining noise from rear offside wheel. Garage checked this and said it wasn't a wheel bearing but some brackets on axle and would not pass the next MOT. Said they could not source the parts needed and to come and take car away.

Within minutes of driving it off the whining noise got very loud and when I stopped and got out a ring around 1" wide had been cut right round the inside wall of tyre.

On taking wheel off I noticed there is sort of a channel running horizontally across inner wing which i think must cover over wires going to fuel tank and rear lights etc.

That metal had been wore down to the shinny metal where the tyre has scrubbed against it. Something must have happened so the top of the wheel is sloping in towards the inner wing and cut the tyre.

What causes this and is it a major problem to repair ? Are parts available or is it time to say goodbye to the car ?

suzublu 19th November 2017 19:03

Check the spring hasn't snapped;)

Walter 19th November 2017 19:23

sounds like bottom spring support has collapsed rear suspension arm -costs £120 plus fitting plenty available on ebay

marinabrian 19th November 2017 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by aovc (Post 2565314)

Had whining noise from rear offside wheel. Garage checked this and said it wasn't a wheel bearing but some brackets on axle and would not pass the next MOT. Said they could not source the parts needed and to come and take car away.

Within minutes of driving it off the whining noise got very loud and when I stopped and got out a ring around 1" wide had been cut right round the inside wall of tyre.

On taking wheel off I noticed there is sort of a channel running horizontally across inner wing which i think must cover over wires going to fuel tank and rear lights etc.

That metal had been wore down to the shinny metal where the tyre has scrubbed against it. Something must have happened so the top of the wheel is sloping in towards the inner wing and cut the tyre.

What causes this and is it a major problem to repair ? Are parts available or is it time to say goodbye to the car ?

You are going to need one of these ;)

LINK

Brian :D

kbonney88 19th November 2017 20:04

exactly Brian..

this happened to my dads 75 last week.. and the upper rear arm had snapped. The springs were fine.

so I guess I will be dropping the subframe and replacing both arms in the next week or so..

Arms on order..

Kev

marinabrian 19th November 2017 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbonney88 (Post 2565336)
exactly Brian..

this happened to my dads 75 last week.. and the upper rear arm snapped. The springs were fine.

so I guess I will be dropping the subframe and replacing both arms in the next week or so..

Arms on order..

Kev

Do you have spare rose joint bushes Kev?

kbonney88 19th November 2017 20:15

I do Bri - I have 2 waiting to be used... ;)

Kev

marinabrian 20th November 2017 06:23

Quote:

Given your location, I would say it's time to speak to Jules in Colwyn Bay ;)

He will carry the parts in stock, and be able to have you back up and running in no time at all :)

Find him HERE

Brian :D

Avulon 20th November 2017 07:45

Quote:

Garage checked this and said it wasn't a wheel bearing but some brackets on axle and would not pass the next MOT. Said they could not source the parts needed and to come and take car away.

Garage couldn't tell you the suspension arm was close to collapsing and the car was unsafe? Wouldn't go back there if I was you.

kbonney88 20th November 2017 07:56

Did they really check it out then? as its quite obvious when the arm is collapsing.. with the wheel off its easy to spot..