The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   S525 OVP The Club Car (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   It's ours! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=44053)

Pete 28th August 2009 23:20

It's ours!

As of today the club became a custodian of the earliest known RHD example of the Rover 75. You know, it feels really good to say that!

Following a meeting at MG Motors UK Limited the sale of the car was agreed between the two parties, and we are currently determining the best method in collecting S525 OVP from the factory. Our plan is to have it taken to a location nearby for evaluation on the work that it requires to bring it back to original factory condition and then begin to publish the project here in its dedicated section. It does mean there will be a bit of a delay in being able to bring full details on the future of this car while we colect all the information together, but we aim to keep this to a minimum and hope we can bring you all up to speed in a few weeks time during the early Autumn.

Around the same time we will also be publishing the governance of the car. This will tell you everything about how it will be maintained and stored by the club. It's important that we ensure the club acts as a transparent custodian of this vehicle, and we will be striving to achieve a balance between it's availability for events with the needs to preserve it in the best possible condition.

One thing we can say right from the start is that the car will be refurbished back to the original specification; this is a rare vehicle of its type and it would be a huge opportunity missed if we were to undertake any modifications. So, it was a pre-production 1.8 Classic, minus any options, and that's how it will stay.

We'll be back with pics and more details in the coming couple of weeks. Stay tuned!

Robson Rover Repair 28th August 2009 23:53

So what route will the car be going.

I noticed in the photos, its badged as a ZT now, but will all the R75 chrome, and the mk2 rear spoiler with MG badges.

Will it be returned to mk1 R75 style?:lol:

Christopher 28th August 2009 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 379138)
One thing we can say right from the start is that the car will be refurbished back to the original specification; this is a rare vehicle of its type and it would be a huge opportunity missed if we were to undertake any modifications. So, it was a pre-production 1.8 Classic, minus any options bar chrome mirrors, and that's how it will stay.

:D :D ....... :D

Dragrad 29th August 2009 00:05

Quote:

One thing we can say right from the start is that the car will be refurbished back to the original specification; this is a rare vehicle of its type and it would be a huge opportunity missed if we were to undertake any modifications. So, it was a pre-production 1.8 Classic, minus any options bar chrome mirrors, and that's how it will stay.

We'll be back with pics and more details in the coming couple of weeks. Stay tuned!

Found it !! :D:D

As for the above, this is excellent news:D:D. As a previous owner of a classic car, I can appreciate the need of purism, albeit I don't for my own!! :shrug::confused::D

Reebs 29th August 2009 00:23

Quote:

......So, it was a pre-production 1.8 Classic, minus any options bar chrome mirrors, and that's how it will stay.

Pete, are you sure about the chrome mirrors, in this footage of it in action back in 1998, they were white :shrug:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...cs/s525ovp.jpg

I have the original footage on VHS, and it's a lot clearer to see on that :o

Pete 29th August 2009 00:28

I'll check a pic I had of it to make sure. I'm probably wrong on that bit. :o

Robson Rover Repair 29th August 2009 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher (Post 379163)
:D :D ....... :D

I should have gone to specsavers.

Im more curious with the mk1 R75 styling, will it be along the lines of post drive or pre drive with various boot badges and so on being different.

Big one I wanna know is, does it have two cup holders!!! :drool4:

mantianak 29th August 2009 00:52

Great news! And good idea putting as sticky. I think I've missed much on the development recently, having a stick certainly helps. Was a decision made for the other cars at Longbridge?

FredSpencer 29th August 2009 06:02

Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Well done everyone.

Fille 29th August 2009 07:08

Pre-production, does that mean that it is a hand-built prototype or one of the very first cars to be built on the actual production line? Good work guys!

The oldest known R75 Tourer in Finland is up for grabs btw, is the club interested? :D

martin green 29th August 2009 10:15

On Behalf Of The S-reg Hunters Crew

I would like to say were glad to be part of this club doing all we can on behalf of these early examples.I am proud that we "also" being club members that the directors have played there part with backing up the membership. its a well done to them also.

In personnally feel that the Rover 75/MGZT club is becoming a powerhouse and going from strength to strength.I just hope we can save and bring within the club as many of these early S plate cars as possible, but its nice to know the club owns the oldest known surviving model S525 OVP.

MG.

Allegroboi 29th August 2009 10:25

Good work by all those involved, well done

Departed 29th August 2009 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fille (Post 379219)
Pre-production, does that mean that it is a hand-built prototype or one of the very first cars to be built on the actual production line? Good work guys!

The oldest known R75 Tourer in Finland is up for grabs btw, is the club interested? :D

That would almost certainly be pre production on the line. Only a very few very early cars are handbuilt as they are so expensive. They would be so different from the production cars (things like fibreglass instead of plastic mouldings) that you would know straight away.

EnEnGee 29th August 2009 16:18

Well done guys. I will watch with interest how this develops.

ianwilks 30th August 2009 12:53

Wow !!! what a win win for the club, what a project and what a responsibility.

How about a special donation fund for those who can't physically help out (like us overseas members) who might like to donate a few dollars (quid)to do our bit for such an historical project as we can't get to Club meets etc.

Ian

Jules 30th August 2009 13:03

Great news
Thanks to all involved.

Dave Goody 30th August 2009 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwilks (Post 379715)
Wow !!! what a win win for the club, what a project and what a responsibility.

How about a special donation fund for those who can't physically help out (like us overseas members) who might like to donate a few dollars (quid)to do our bit for such an historical project as we can't get to Club meets etc.

Ian

I would go for that too, is it a secret how much was paid? I would happily give a donation Dave

Christopher 30th August 2009 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Goody (Post 379817)
I would go for that too, is it a secret how much was paid? I would happily give a donation Dave

Not sure yet Dave a (nominal) offer was made and accepted - but it may be waived - we don't know that though - we'll know soon enough though. Either way it was "chicken feed" price! ;)

(not that I know the cost of chicken feed these days!! :shrug:)

TurboZed 30th August 2009 20:40

Probably expensive if the price of eggs is anything to go by nowerdays....
I digress...
Is its ownership/usage history known? I was just wondering why its backend had be bodged into MG ZT guise?

Christopher 30th August 2009 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboZed (Post 379888)
Is its ownership/usage history known? I was just wondering why its backend had be bodged into MG ZT guise?

Its always belonged to MG-Rover - and now to MG Motors UK Ltd - so I suppose this is why the MG "facelift" :)

The Yellow Peril 30th August 2009 21:06

As far as we know, it has never been out of Rover ownership, It was used at Cowley and at Longbridge as a staff runaround and then at Longbridge in its latter days as an on-site Ambulance car.

The MG badges and trim were added after SAIC (MG Motors UK) took possession and had to re-brand everything, since TATA own the Rover name.

Didn't check the mileage though.

Andrew

The Yellow Peril 30th August 2009 21:07

You beat me to it by a few seconds Christopher.

Andy

TurboZed 30th August 2009 21:22

Thanks guys. Now if I'm right in saying that the boot plinth was different on the pre production 75s, did anybody go and grab the pre production parts off that S reg that was scrapped on ebay a few weeks ago????

The Yellow Peril 30th August 2009 22:04

Martin, Lewis and I went to look for it on Friday after Longbridge, but it had already gone to the great fridge freezer in the sky. However we did locate another very early one, with a lot of things we can salvage. After the Bank Holiday well go back and recover them. There is also a full green leather interior going begging, steering wheel, door cards etc all in good nick.

Andrew

martin green 31st August 2009 04:12

S525 OVP to add to its famous background, was also used by Rover as a DVD press launch car so it has worked at both sites Oxford/Longbridge, used as a launch car, and police/ambulance also and never left the ownership of the Rover/MG group what history! & THE OLDEST KNOWN CHASSIS NUMBER 1196 WITH A 1998 BUILD YEAR!.

MG.

Reebmit 31st August 2009 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin green (Post 379278)
I would like to say were glad to be part of this club doing all we can on behalf of these early examples.I am proud that we "also" being club members that the directors have played there part with backing up the membership. its a well done to them also.

In personnly feel that the Rover 75/MGZT club is becoming a powerhouse and going from strength to strength.I just hope we can save and bring within the club as many of these early S plate cars as possible, but its nice to know the club owns the oldest known surviving model S525 OVP.

MG.

I second all of that Martin:)

Roverowner 1st September 2009 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin green (Post 379999)
S525 OVP to add to its famous background, was also used by Rover as a DVD press launch car so it has worked at both sites Oxford/Longbridge, used as a launch car, and police/ambulance also and never left the ownership of the Rover/MG group what history! & THE OLDEST KNOWN CHASSIS NUMBER 1196 WITH A 1998 BUILD YEAR!.

MG.

Hello Martin! Been looking at 1999 cars for quite a while as I would like a 1999 saloon to go with my 2005 tourer.

Found this: Saloon BRG with Conn green leather. 2.5l V6 auto. Left hand drive. In the middle of June this year MOT: nearly 46k miles. First registered UK 1999-01-25. Chassi nr: SARRJZLLZXM001149. That would be 47 before OVP. Thinking of buying it. Wot you recon?:lol:Alan

Reebs 1st September 2009 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yellow Peril (Post 379949)
......There is also a full green leather interior going begging, steering wheel, door cards etc all in good nick.

Andrew

If you read this before your visit to the scrappy, would you check (and ideally photograph) the condition of the drivers seat squab & also back (ie both the cushion you sit on, and the back you lean on)

Is there any sign of wear, or do they look pretty good?

Also, does the car have clean undamaged rear map pockets?

Thanks in advance if you can help. it's a long way to come from Southampton, just to check the condition. :D

Paul.

The Yellow Peril 1st September 2009 12:11

I think Rabett took some photos of the interior, but it looked in pretty goon nick - come on Lewis post some pics. (And the one oy you and Martin in your ROVER-ALLS
Andy

stevemac 1st September 2009 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher (Post 379818)
Not sure yet Dave a (nominal) offer was made and accepted - but it may be waived - we don't know that though - we'll know soon enough though. Either way it was "chicken feed" price! ;)

About Ģ7.50 for a large bag of layers pellets:D

majedm75 1st September 2009 13:04

Well done to all involved. I just got back from my holidays and doing all the reading to catch up on things :lol:

Rabett_Rover 1st September 2009 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverowner (Post 380481)
Hello Martin! Been looking at 1999 cars for quite a while as I would like a 1999 saloon to go with my 2005 tourer.

Found this: Saloon BRG with Conn green leather. 2.5l V6 auto. Left hand drive. In the middle of June this year MOT: nearly 46k miles. First registered UK 1999-01-25. Chassi nr: SARRJZLLZXM001149. That would be 47 before OVP. Thinking of buying it. Wot you recon?:lol:Alan

Yes! is there a link for the advert?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reebs (Post 380491)
If you read this before your visit to the scrappy, would you check (and ideally photograph) the condition of the drivers seat squab & also back (ie both the cushion you sit on, and the back you lean on)

Is there any sign of wear, or do they look pretty good?

Also, does the car have clean undamaged rear map pockets?

Thanks in advance if you can help. it's a long way to come from Southampton, just to check the condition. :D

Paul.

It did look rather tidy and it has the Rover headrests!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yellow Peril (Post 380541)
I think Rabett took some photos of the interior, but it looked in pretty goon nick - come on Lewis post some pics. (And the one oy you and Martin in your ROVER-ALLS
Andy

Here you go Andy!

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d260bda51a.jpg
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d260c0f823.jpg
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d260c24ae8.jpg
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d273564057.jpg

martin green 1st September 2009 14:00

Who's That Man In Burgundy!!!!!!!

Rover Owner Some Shots Please Of The Green One And Yes Buy It!!!!

Mg.

Rabett_Rover 1st September 2009 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin green (Post 380574)
Who's That Man In Burgundy!!!!!!!

Rover Owner Some Shots Please Of The Green One And Yes Buy It!!!!

Mg.

any luck on LJW or the white one Mart.?

Roverowner 1st September 2009 14:54

Hello again. Hereīs the ad. Managed to get a bit off the price and so Iīve bought it. (she will be pleased........) The guy selling it bought it in north London a couple of years ago, at a dealers. He has the history and I will get the original UK number soon. He has had a 2000 model and says that the seatbelt arrangement in the back seats are different and that the -air bag- sign above the glove compartment is different. Factory fitted sunroof aswell. Had one owner in the UK before the dealer. Itīs probably a launch model for the continent:) Alan

http://www.blocket.se/landskrona/Rov....htm?ca=14&w=3

Rabett_Rover 1st September 2009 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverowner (Post 380593)
Hello again. Hereīs the ad. Managed to get a bit off the price and so Iīve bought it. (she will be pleased........) The guy selling it bought it in north London a couple of years ago, at a dealers. He has the history and I will get the original UK number soon. He has had a 2000 model and says that the seatbelt arrangement in the back seats are different and that the -air bag- sign above the glove compartment is different. Factory fitted sunroof aswell. Had one owner in the UK before the dealer. Itīs probably a launch model for the continent:) Alan

http://www.blocket.se/landskrona/Rov....htm?ca=14&w=3

Brill. Alan. Let us know the UK reg. please. The link doesn't work though:confused:

FredSpencer 1st September 2009 15:31

The link worked for me. Looks nice and a real 'magic carpet' ride I would think, looking at the inside :D

Rabett_Rover 1st September 2009 15:37

It worked this time! Defo. pre launch (note black plastic hazard surround)

Roverowner 1st September 2009 16:26

Will be ringing the owner (when Iīve had me tea!). He is a real British car fan. Has one of the last P5s (1967) I think, 2 or 3 jags (V12 e-type amongst others) had 3 Stags. I think it was Rovers own car for skooting around europe. Maybe then sold to a private person (who put the sat-nav etc on it?) and then ended up at a dealers. The owner has lots of contacts apparently in UK and was looking for a early 75 a few years ago and someone he new in UK came up with this. Will post more when I have talked to -Kalle- (short for Karl - Charles) this evening:) Alan

v192mak 1st September 2009 16:58

Looks very tidy that. You need to replace the switchs or get a wood kit to fit to some of the switchs.

2Diesels 1st September 2009 17:28

That's a nice old thing mind Alan:) well done

Regards Col

Dave Goody 1st September 2009 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher (Post 379818)

Funnily enough I do [see my profile] :D

Roverowner 1st September 2009 18:44

Thanks for all the comments! Iīve paid a deposit and will probably pick it up at the weekend. Its about a 3 to 4 hour drive from here, one way. So will make a day of it. It seems to be very well cared for. The mats at the front look like IKEA. (didnīt want to mess up the originals probably) The switches and things I will leave alone - keep it as original as pos. Funny, the one the back door is wood but not on the passenger front door :shrug:. -Kalle- wasnīt at home so I wonīt get the reg nr till later. Will post it up as soon as I get it:lol: Alan

Allegroboi 1st September 2009 19:35

Hi there from the pics it looks more like Arden green than BRG, but may just be the light, it looks lovely :lol:

derekosb 1st September 2009 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverowner (Post 380688)
Thanks for all the comments! Iīve paid a deposit and will probably pick it up at the weekend. Its about a 3 to 4 hour drive from here, one way. So will make a day of it. It seems to be very well cared for. The mats at the front look like IKEA. (didnīt want to mess up the originals probably) The switches and things I will leave alone - keep it as original as pos. Funny, the one the back door is wood but not on the passenger front door :shrug:. -Kalle- wasnīt at home so I wonīt get the reg nr till later. Will post it up as soon as I get it:lol: Alan

Hi Alan,

It is a lovely looking thing and the chassis number means it becomes the oldest car in the club. Congratulations!:lol:

However, the passenger door window switch and the airbag cover do raise a question and I hesitated whether to raise this point or not?

The airbag cover looks like the later plastic version and I wondered whether, with the door switch as well, there has maybe been a front impact at some point and the airbag deployed and the door was damaged?:shrug:

When the repair was done they maybe couldn't source the walnut dash kit or the original real wood airbag cover? I noticed the light switch, centre console and rear window switches are all covered. Is the driver's door window switch still walnut?

Just a thought and I hope I'm wrong:confused:

Derek

Pete 1st September 2009 21:06

This is great news - from initially believing we had found the oldest surviving example we now seem to have the earliest one overall along with the earliest RHD model.

Beers all round I reckon! :D

Roverowner 1st September 2009 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekosb (Post 380729)
Hi Alan,

It is a lovely looking thing and the chassis number means it becomes the oldest car in the club. Congratulations!:lol:

However, the passenger door window switch and the airbag cover do raise a question and I hesitated whether to raise this point or not?

The airbag cover looks like the later plastic version and I wondered whether, with the door switch as well, there has maybe been a front impact at some point and the airbag deployed and the door was damaged?:shrug:

When the repair was done they maybe couldn't source the walnut dash kit or the original real wood airbag cover? I noticed the light switch, centre console and rear window switches are all covered. Is the driver's door window switch still walnut?

Just a thought and I hope I'm wrong:confused:

Derek

Thanks for the observations. Could well be as you say, the air bag logo looks like the one on my 2005. If it has been repaired then maybe they thought that they could go the whole hog and put in the sat nav as well:shrug:. Donīt think it has happened since beeing imported, Iīm sure the owner would have said. Probably happened in the UK. Will try and find out the whole history. Cars have history just like anything else. All the incidents go to make up the car as an -individual- so if it has had a prange then it doesnīt distract from the whole. The uninteresting cars are usually the ones with 5 miles on the clock and a life in a museum! I will post up what I can find out:) Alan

Reebs 1st September 2009 22:36

Thanks for the pictures Lewis, did any of you buy any bits from them? I just wondered if they are greedy profitiers, or might accept reasonable offers.

Also, were you able to crawl all over the cars there, or like the scrappy near me, do they remove the wanted items and present them to you not allowing you to get near the car?

Rabett_Rover 1st September 2009 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reebs (Post 380816)
Thanks for the pictures Lewis, did any of you buy any bits from them? I just wondered if they are greedy profitiers, or might accept reasonable offers.

Also, were you able to crawl all over the cars there, or like the scrappy near me, do they remove the wanted items and present them to you not allowing you to get near the car?

You Crawl over it like the good old days! I think they would be quite cheap. The back seat cushion was missing though as someone had already bought it.

Reebs 1st September 2009 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabett_Rover (Post 380820)
You Crawl over it like the good old days! I think they would be quite cheap. The back seat cushion was missing though as someone had already bought it.

That sounds brilliant, just wanted to check, is the car to be found here?

:smilie_re: http://www.hoppersautobreakers.co.uk/

martin green 2nd September 2009 09:59

reebs

The Birmingham based scrap yards are the old steptoe type, not to dear and not H&S barmy get in there mate......PS THAT ROBVER 75 from SWEEEEEEDEN

Is fantastic, oldest LHD AND THE OLDEST RHD GRAND STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!11

MG.

Roverowner 2nd September 2009 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverowner (Post 380771)
Thanks for the observations. Could well be as you say, the air bag logo looks like the one on my 2005. If it has been repaired then maybe they thought that they could go the whole hog and put in the sat nav as well:shrug:. Donīt think it has happened since beeing imported, Iīm sure the owner would have said. Probably happened in the UK. Will try and find out the whole history. Cars have history just like anything else. All the incidents go to make up the car as an -individual- so if it has had a prange then it doesnīt distract from the whole. The uninteresting cars are usually the ones with 5 miles on the clock and a life in a museum! I will post up what I can find out:) Alan

Bit of an update:

Talked to Kalle this morning. Heīīs going to mail me the British Reg this evening. The passenger side wood capping for the window switch was a bit faulty so he changed it for the plastic one, only one he could get at the time. He didnīt know that the passenger air bag cover was facelift, thought it was earlier than the 2001 model heīd had. The rest of the dash wood etc is original wood except around the sat nav which is overlay. All the extra spec were on it when he bought it at the dealers in North London 2007. When I get the name etc for the dealer Iīm going to mail them or phone. Maybe some one in the club who lives in the area can go and have a natter. He bought both his 75īs from the same dealer. Aparently this one was parked up near the dealers place and when Kalle wondered if the dealer had any more 75īs, the dealer put a note on the window wondering if it was for sale, and the owner contacted the dealer and it changed hands. Would like to speak to the person who sold it to the dealer!
Seems funny that it has nearly all the extras:

How early could one get the sat nav installed?

It has memory drivers seat. Was that available 1999.

Electric blind at the back. Parking sensors. The sun roof is probably from the factory

According to Kalle (who is a British car enthusiast since the 80īs) it hasnīt had a bash and it all looks genuine. Rovers own car for testing out the new bits as they came along? Hope Martin and co can get some info from the DVLA.

Iīve a 4 hour bus trip from Linköping down to Landskrona early (01.45) on Saturday to pick it up:D Should be interesting...... Will keep posting as and when the info come to light.

stef_uk 2nd September 2009 17:25

i know ovp need a front bumper maybe this one is of use?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/rover-75-front...d=p3286.c0.m14

hth steve

AURORA MG 2nd September 2009 18:06

Any idea what happened to the "S" reg in the breakers yard?

Southside 2nd September 2009 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reebs (Post 380822)
That sounds brilliant, just wanted to check, is the car to be found here?

:smilie_re: http://www.hoppersautobreakers.co.uk/

Thats the one but i'd ring before you leave as the turnover in that place is quick. They only usually keep cars 2 weeks or so and they dont wait until the cars are bare shells before they crush them. I've seen them send complete cars to the crusher before. They are dirt cheap though.

Duotone 2nd September 2009 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverowner (Post 380934)

How early could one get the sat nav installed?

It has memory drivers seat. Was that available 1999.

Electric blind at the back. Parking sensors. The sun roof is probably from the factory

Both Low line and Hi Line Sat Nav was available from launch in october 1998.

The Connoisseur SE was equiped with drivers memory seat from the launch date.

Electric rear sunblind and Parking sensors were also avaiable from launch.

All the above items are mentioned in the pre-launch package distributed to dealers between October 1998 and the first deliveries to the dealers in March 1999.

Dave T

Roverowner 2nd September 2009 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duotone (Post 381171)
Both Low line and Hi Line Sat Nav was available from launch in october 1998.

The Connoisseur SE was equiped with drivers memory seat from the launch date.

Electric rear sunblind and Parking sensors were also avaiable from launch.

All the above items are mentioned in the pre-launch package distributed to dealers between October 1998 and the first deliveries to the dealers in March 1999.

Dave T

Thanks, you beat me to it!

Been looking at all the liturature I havenīt had time to look at so far and yes all the specs on the car were available from the start. Directors car? Demo car? Still havenīt had any reply from the owner regards the cars British reg. :)Alan

Rabett_Rover 2nd September 2009 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverowner (Post 381197)
Thanks, you beat me to it!

Been looking at all the liturature I havenīt had time to look at so far and yes all the specs on the car were available from the start. Directors car? Demo car? Still havenīt had any reply from the owner regards the cars British reg. :)Alan

Once you have the British Reg. we might be able to tell you what the car was!

Roverowner 2nd September 2009 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin green (Post 380929)
reebs

The Birmingham based scrap yards are the old steptoe type, not to dear and not H&S barmy get in there mate......PS THAT ROBVER 75 from SWEEEEEEDEN

Is fantastic, oldest LHD AND THE OLDEST RHD GRAND STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!11

MG.

Turnip Land - Turnip Land (right terminology please!):D Alan

Roverowner 2nd September 2009 20:42

Hopefully will get the reg nr tomorrow morning.

Fille 9th September 2009 06:39

Well Alan, any news?

Roverowner 9th September 2009 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fille (Post 384243)
Well Alan, any news?

See under thread S909 XDA.

martin green 13th September 2009 21:15

I wonder if we have picked this beauty up yet?? S525 OVP.....

Steve Powell 13th September 2009 21:21

Martin
I was just about to ask the same question..........anyone got any news ??

Christopher 13th September 2009 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin green (Post 386331)
I wonder if we have picked this beauty up yet?? S525 OVP.....

The paperwork is now ready but our contact has been away on leave, we will be picking up where we left off this week.

We will post up when we have news ;)

cheers

martin green 13th September 2009 21:26

good man chris....I expect we will get some low loader shots of here "comin home"......Have you spoken to the Birmingham press who are chasing this story yet...I do have her direct number??.

MG.

Steve Powell 13th September 2009 21:28

Do you think the collection will happen in september ?

Christopher 13th September 2009 21:28

Do mail over any info you have by all means.

Cheers

martin green 13th September 2009 21:32

The number is coming over right now.

MG.

Steve Powell 18th September 2009 19:39

Any news on OVP and the collection ?

martin green 18th September 2009 20:52

still awaiting steve.....

stef_uk 19th September 2009 12:43

seems very long winded...lol
also what of the extra news we were promised at the longbridge photoshoot...or have i missed it?:shrug::getmecoat:

steve

Pete 19th September 2009 18:45

I will be posting up some further news in due course.

Departed 32016 22nd September 2009 21:27

new to this site but just wondering is it rare to find an s reg rover 75? I saw one for sale the other day and thought that must be one of the first. I'm going down tomorrow to get some photos. I remember it was BRG and had some stupid fox wheels on it...

starbug2 22nd September 2009 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 389378)
I will be posting up some further news in due course.

i can't wait to hear what it is :alien:

Roverowner 23rd September 2009 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieranswood (Post 391112)
new to this site but just wondering is it rare to find an s reg rover 75? I saw one for sale the other day and thought that must be one of the first. I'm going down tomorrow to get some photos. I remember it was BRG and had some stupid fox wheels on it...

Hello and welcome to the club!!

Let us know what the reg number is and even the VIN number which should be visable on the lower edge of the windscreen...:)

Departed 32016 23rd September 2009 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverowner (Post 391212)
Hello and welcome to the club!!

Let us know what the reg number is and even the VIN number which should be visable on the lower edge of the windscreen...:)

went round but wasn't there today. Just for anyones reference I can get the Vin number of any car from the reg and can also normally get the other way round even if there has been a plate transfer. Just in case that comes in handy for anyone...

Steve Powell 28th September 2009 15:25

Do we have a collection date yet for S525 ????

Rabett_Rover 28th September 2009 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Powell (Post 393755)
Do we have a collection date yet for S525 ????

I don't know Steve. You could ask Pete or Christopher.

Christopher 9th October 2009 07:54

Update:

All the paperwork has now been done, S525 paid for and delivery now being arranged - more will be announced as soon as we can ;)

Best

stef_uk 9th October 2009 15:14

wooohooooo took a very long time to sort ...but oh so worth it ...good job to all involved

steve:bowdown::bowdown:

Rabett_Rover 9th October 2009 15:50

Jolly good show! Well done!

Steve Powell 18th October 2009 21:29

Have we taken collection of S525 yet ????
Whats the latest news ???

JohnDotCom 18th October 2009 22:46

A Full update was given at National Meet today.

Full details to follow, someone may beat me to it. ;)

sworks 19th October 2009 19:53

Any more news for those of us that couldn't make the meet :)

Pete 19th October 2009 20:04

Fingers crossed I will be posting up tomorrow

starbug2 19th October 2009 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 403568)
Fingers crossed I will be posting up tomorrow

can't wait.:bowdown:

sworks 19th October 2009 20:24

thanks Pete

Pete 20th October 2009 18:45

I didn't quite get the one other loose end tidied up today - my fault, work intervened - but it is on my list to sort out first thing tomorrow. Literally the second it is sorted I will update this thread.

kevin 21st October 2009 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 404064)
I didn't quite get the one other loose end tidied up today - my fault, work intervened - but it is on my list to sort out first thing tomorrow. Literally the second it is sorted I will update this thread.

pete, you had a lie in. :D

Lates 21st October 2009 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 404064)

Pete, did you receive my mail last night ?

Pete 21st October 2009 20:37

Just sent you a PM squire :)

Pete 21st October 2009 20:48

Well, I'm delighted to inform you all that the car is pencilled in to be recovered late next week, where it will be placed in the loving hands of Lates for what promises to be a very interesting inspection and subsequent overhaul.

We're only at the very beginning of what really is shaping up to be a fun project, but firstly it needs to be looked over very carefully and the jobs list compiled so that we know exactly what needs to be done.

Kandyman 21st October 2009 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 404793)
it will be placed in the loving hands of Lates

:eek: :panic:
:) Could't be in better hands.

sworks 21st October 2009 21:00

nice one :lol:

Lates 21st October 2009 21:00

It will be our pleasure to look after your project car. Pete (my Pete) and I have spoken at length on the project and hope we can do the car proud and restore it back to its former glory.

SMC Trading 21st October 2009 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lates (Post 404810)
It will be our pleasure to look after your project car. Pete (my Pete) and I have spoken at length on the project and hope we can do the car proud and restore it back to its former glory.

And don't forget if I can help with any parts donations please let me know;)

Christopher 21st October 2009 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lates (Post 404810)

Yaay Lates - glad you will be looking after our baby - she can't be in any better hands :)

Looking forward to going through the report on her :)

Best

Greeners 21st October 2009 21:08

I assume a case of biscuits is accompanying said vehicle :D

Kandyman 21st October 2009 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMC Trading (Post 404819)

That's very kind of you :)

I'll be round at the weekend with my van ;)

Lates 21st October 2009 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMC Trading (Post 404819)

Many thanks Les, Tourer red alcantara trim perchance ?

FredSpencer 21st October 2009 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandyman (Post 404837)
That's very kind of you :)

See if he's got anything that holds flag poles up properly! :getmecoat:

SMC Trading 21st October 2009 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandyman (Post 404837)

No change there then;)

Simon 21st October 2009 21:28

Good news all-round. I'm sure Lates will give the car the attention it needs :bowdown:

Well done to all involved. :)

The Yellow Peril 21st October 2009 23:19

Well done guys, it's a relief that S525 finally on the move and that one of our own will be giving her the attention needed to bring her back to glory.

Now, let's see which event we can pencil her in for!!!

Andy

trebor 22nd October 2009 08:53

great news, i suppose that this is already taken care of but presumably plenty of pics will be taken of her in the state she arrives in, during her restoration and when restored as a complete record.

majedm75 22nd October 2009 11:33

Well done all involved :lol:

RoverAlicante 22nd October 2009 20:39

Fantastic news! I'm looking forward to reading up all the progress!

stocktake 29th October 2009 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 404793)
Well, I'm delighted to inform you all that the car is pencilled in to be recovered late next week, where it will be placed in the loving hands of Lates for what promises to be a very interesting inspection and subsequent overhaul.

Is it late next week yet?:)

Christopher 29th October 2009 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 408692)
Is it late next week yet?:)

It will be tomorrow.

trebor 30th October 2009 07:56

todays the day then !

Pete 30th October 2009 14:29

scribbling away, stay tuned

James.uk 30th October 2009 14:44

*waits... twiddles thumbs.... gazes out the window at the rain... waits...plays with puppy...continues to wait....contemplates the meaning of life..... waits*----- :o

Pete 30th October 2009 15:11

Blimey you lot are impatient - anyone would think it's Christmas Eve! :D

I'm completing some job stuff so I will get on it in about a hour.

I was trying to think of some sort of cliffhanger ending to keep everyone on tenterhooks, but alas I can't come up with anything feasible really. Mind you, there are one or two little nuggets that will be intriguing to you all.

FredSpencer 30th October 2009 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 408974)
Mind you, there are one or two little nuggets that will be intriguing to you all.

Converting to a coupe? Or a convertible? With four wheel drive? And a driver's side cup holder? :shrug:

stocktake 30th October 2009 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 408974)
Blimey you lot are impatient - anyone would think it's Christmas Eve! :D

I'm completing some job stuff so I will get on it in about a hour.

Ahem, I make that 30 mins :D only 30 mins to go now :D

Pete 30th October 2009 17:40

Okay, time to put you all out of your misery. S525 OVP was moved this morning from Longbridge.

That sentence perhaps simplifies the job. The car had two flat tyres and only one was holding air, while it was also effectively blocked in by a Tourer waiting for the crusher. Thankfully security were on hand and they were very kind enough to clear a way in to get at the car. Oh, and it doesn’t start, mainly due to an electrical fault (most likely the battery was defunct but the connections didn’t look too clever either) but I just remembered a security guard mentioning something about a fuel pump too.

Anyway, time for a few pics and some comments.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...VP/S525_01.jpg
Here it is in all it's glory. Sort of. When you consider that this car is not just 11 years old but has also been used for the majority of its life 24/7 round two large factory complexes then it's done remarkably well to be in one piece. As you can see the transformation into a ZT also included ditching the original steel wheels for a set of alloys.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...VP/S525_02.jpg
As it slowly inched up there was some good news - no big dents in the sills! Overall it's straight but looking tired

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...VP/S525_03.jpg
It was a bit of a squeeze getting on the trailer, not helped by the terminal tyre being on the front. Now, the more eagle eyed amongst you will spot something a little odd about the front. And I don't mean the projector lights which will be replaced for original units

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...VP/S525_04.jpg
Once again S525 hits the road. On a trailer admittedly but that's just detail. The journey to the batcave was thankfully painless.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...VP/S525_05.jpg
And here it is, offloaded and wondering where on earth it has been taken to.
Remember I said it had been shod with alloys? I forgot to mention that this didn't extend to having a matching set. There's actually a simple reason behind this. With there being so much debris on the roads round Longbridge punctures were frequent - it was simpler to just grab a wheel and tyre instead of trying to get something fitted on a rim.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...VP/S525_06.jpg
From the rear it doesn't look too bad. Note the MG plinth, which has above it a huuuuge MG badge. The bodywork is tired overall - just about every panel has signs of corrosion or dents - and there is evidence of it being Dover White too for some reason. However, the plate states the code as NNX so we can say pretty confidently that is should be Arran White.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...VP/S525_09.jpg
Lifting up the bonnet shows a dirty but also healthy-looking K series. No oil marks, water leaks, not a drop of mayo on the dipstick before you ask. We'll know more when it fires up though. Now, if you were looking at the front end earlier then this pic will pretty much confirm your suspicions.....

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...VP/S525_08.jpg
The interior is not too good. Well, it's had a hard working life so in fact it's not fared too badly at all. The wheel is wrong of course and it also has MG dials which will need replacing. The dash has some scratching which will either mean changing it or repairing the lacquer. We may try the second option to see what results we can come up with.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...P/S525_010.jpg
There! If you thought the car didn't have aircon then you had guessed correctly. This is one poverty-spec motor, with keep-fit windows in the back too. In this respect it's exceedingly rare now.

And that's about it for the moment. Over the next couple or so weeks it will have a thorough inspection to determine what needs to be done and we will then be posting up the information as part of a regular rebuild report. We will also be making some anouncements on how members can help in the rebuild, which we hope you will enjoy reading.

Rabett_Rover 30th October 2009 17:46

Great news Pete! I look forward to watching the restoration unfold and will of course donate some bits for her.

Phil 30th October 2009 17:47

Thanks for the update, what mileage has the car done?
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it have an aluminium rocker cover? I thought the early ones had black rocker covers? Maybe it has had a new engine already?

stocktake 30th October 2009 17:54

This is not the end.
This is not the begining of the end.
It is perhaps, the end of the begining.

That statement could have been written for this moment :)

Pete 30th October 2009 18:05

Something to bear in mind is that the car will have been actively played with by a number of people in the factory and so it will feature a good few things here and there throughout the production life of the R40. There is a bit of history I left with the car that give some details about its life. Mileage is definitely 100,000+, we'll know more when the leccy bits start working again.

Phil 30th October 2009 18:11

Thanks Pete. Isn't Arran white the same as Dover white? I thought Dover white was the name used in the British market and Arran white was used abroad? Or is it the other way round?

Tootall 30th October 2009 18:18

The area of Longbridge where this car was loaded on to the trailer is where i used to park when working nights and to get to our paintshop i used the small door next to where 'reserved' is written on the wall.

Lates 30th October 2009 19:54

Pete, if you have no headlamps in stock for the project, I can swap them for you for a lovely set of OE ones :D

MG badge on top of boot lid, I think came off a lorry. Its huuuuuuge,when did MGR make trucks ;)

I did however, take some parts (shhhh Pete ) to the paint shop today and mentioned this project. No problems there but assesment will need to be made nearer the time.

Plan for tomorrow is to see if we can actually get her fired up and swap over the nsf rim. make it easier to shift it about while work is being done.

Lates 30th October 2009 20:00

Maybe thinking too far ahead, but may I start the "wish list" of parts needed ?
These are just the obvious bits to start collating, we can add to this post where needs be :

Front bumper assembly
Rear boot lid plinth
Interior light pod
Pedal rubbers
Bonnet sound deadening
Pair of headlamps
OSR door sill button / rod
nsr door chrome coachline
Service kit once the engine has been classed as servicable
4 wheels, tyres, wheel trims
Pair wiper blades
spare wheel and tool kit
IPK

Pete and I have a plan, so this may change over next weekend.

Rabett_Rover 30th October 2009 20:17

I have some bits you can have Pete.
The Huge rear MG badge is a Facelift MG ZR Boot badge. Yes I know I am sad

Phil 30th October 2009 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lates (Post 409165)
These are just the obvious bits to start collating, we can add to this post where needs be :

Front bumper assembly
Rear boot lid plinth
Interior light pod
Pedal rubbers
Bonnet sound deadening
Pair of headlamps
Pair wiper blades
spare wheel and tool kit
IPK

I have a front bumper you can have!
It does have a small crack needing repair. I can take pics of crack if req'd.

Lates 30th October 2009 20:25

Cheers Phil,
Logistics are to arranged and sorted but the list may encourage people to start looking about.

Front bumper assembly - Op1. Phil
Rear boot lid plinth
Interior light pod
Pedal rubbers
Bonnet sound deadening
Pair of headlamps
Pair wiper blades
spare wheel and tool kit
IPK

Duotone 30th October 2009 20:28

I love the idea of 17" alloys on one side and 18" on the other..

Wonder how it drove..

Great to have the car and experts like Lates working on it..

Dave T

JohnDotCom 30th October 2009 20:28

Quote:

spare wheel and tool kit
Surely either Foam or Space-saver would have been the order of the Day then?

What sort of IPK?
Message Centre or the Basic one, Yellow or White lighting?

Rabett_Rover 30th October 2009 20:30

I have rear boot badge (Rover Logo ), 1x Pedal rubber, '75' Boot Badge.

Rabett_Rover 30th October 2009 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDotCom (Post 409189)

What sort of IPK?

It would be the basic one as OVP is a Classic.

Lates 30th October 2009 20:32

Quote:

What sort of IPK?

IPK I am guessing just base spec yellow lighting ?
On the spare wheel, I guess no cost saving was implemented at this age and as and when the car goes out to shows etc, the piece of mind for a real wheel would be my choice.

Duotone 30th October 2009 20:36

Quote:

What sort of IPK?

A Classic would have had a Space-saver or a full size steel wheel.

IPK would be Orange lighting but no message centre.

Dave T

Pete 30th October 2009 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 409179)
I have a front bumper you can have!
It does have a small crack needing repair. I can take pics of crack if req'd.

Ah, we're sourcing the bumper off Messenger - but is it possible to have yours anyway for a little How-To on repairing them?

stocktake 30th October 2009 20:45

Just a thought, could the club create an Ebay ID, sell the headlights and the alloy wheels/tyres then use the funds to purchase parts needed from the funds?
As said just a thought, but makes sense :)

Duotone 30th October 2009 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 409077)
Thanks Pete. Isn't Arran white the same as Dover white? I thought Dover white was the name used in the British market and Arran white was used abroad? Or is it the other way round?

Close, Phil

NNX Arron White also known as Old English White..

Dave T

Rabett_Rover 30th October 2009 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 409214)
Just a thought, could the club create an Ebay ID, sell the headlights and the alloy wheels/tyres then use the funds to purchase parts needed from the funds?
As said just a thought, but makes sense :)

I like that idea Dave.

Phil 30th October 2009 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 409208)
Ah, we're sourcing the bumper off Messenger - but is it possible to have yours anyway for a little How-To on repairing them?

Of course you can! Its sitting at the bottom of my garden.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duotone (Post 409215)
Close, Phil

NNX Arron White also known as Old English White..

Dave T

Doh!

Pete 30th October 2009 21:15

Is yours in your garden? I've got a Longbridge one in the garden too. :)

Phil 30th October 2009 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 409254)
Is yours in your garden? I've got a Longbridge one in the garden too. :)

It is indeed. Under a conifer.

Duotone 30th October 2009 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lates (Post 409165)

Front bumper assembly
Rear boot lid plinth
Interior light pod
Pedal rubbers
Bonnet sound deadening
Pair of headlamps
Pair wiper blades
spare wheel and tool kit
IPK

You may need to add.

Arron White Bullet door mirrors
1.8 Torpedo badges.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...ithmirrors.jpg

Dave T

Rabett_Rover 30th October 2009 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duotone (Post 409285)
You may need to add.

Arron White Bullet door mirrors
1.8 Torpedo badges.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...ithmirrors.jpg

Dave T

I Sent Pete some Torpedo badges. However in the Launch DVD she is shown with no Torpedo badges at all.

Lates 30th October 2009 21:47

If nobody has a set of colour coded mirror backs, two good quality ones can be painted at the same time as the body.

trebor 30th October 2009 22:04

this is great news but what do you mean poverty spec - it has twin horns !

Well done on the pictorial record too, will look great in an album with others from its refurb

Jules 30th October 2009 22:08

I have brand new Mk 1 front Indicator assy to donate if required;)
Not sure which side though (still boxed)

I suppose the choice of Alloys should be Comet, Union or Contour wheels then?
But to be very basic/authentic, we should try and source some Steels with plastic wheel trims.

Rabett_Rover 30th October 2009 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 409319)
I have brand new Mk 1 front Indicator assy to donate if required;)
Not sure which side though (still boxed)

I suppose the choice of Alloys should be Comet, Union or Contour wheels then?
But to be very basic/authentic, we should try and source some Steels with plastic wheel trims.

I think the steel wheels with plastic trims would be the best option as they would be the most rare.

Jules 30th October 2009 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor (Post 409313)
this is great news but what do you mean poverty spec - it has twin horns !

Well done on the pictorial record too, will look great in an album with others from its refurb

You couldn't have just one horn before they thought of Project drive:p:

Pete 30th October 2009 22:58

I must admit I did check to see if it had power steering - just in case it was an experimental super-poverty spec! :D :D

Lates 30th October 2009 23:22

It has pas as I noticed a bit grime around the rim.