The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Battery going flat/Bonnet light on. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=216803)

Graham1961 21st May 2015 22:52

Battery going flat/Bonnet light on.

Hi All.

Need a wee bit advice....I went to start my car today, battery flat (dead) jump started no problem, let engine run, then noticed the bonnet light was on, the rubber cover is missing, but it was dry so i shut bonnet and doors with the engine running and the light was still on, it would only go off when you switch of the ignition, however when i pressed the lock button, the car gave of a wee beep before everything locked, opened the doors, locked car again...same thing a wee beep before locking, unlocked the car again.....however what i am thinking is.....could this be causing the battery to go flat ?

Ps...The interior lights go out after about 15 sec as normal.

Dragrad 21st May 2015 22:57

Don't know about what is causing the battery to go flat, but IMO change the switch. I had the same problem and that is what I did. Never had a problem since (6 years ago) a relatively cheap fix. Lots of threads on this issue in this forum ;)

Missing the rubber element could mean that water has got in and corrosion has followed. The damage is done...

As for the battery drain :shrug:

RodgerD 21st May 2015 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 (Post 2005273)
Hi All.

Need a wee bit advice....I went to start my car today, battery flat (dead) jump started no problem, let engine run, then noticed the bonnet light was on, the rubber cover is missing, but it was dry so i shut bonnet and doors with the engine running and the light was still on, it would only go off when you switch of the ignition, however when i pressed the lock button, the car gave of a wee beep before everything locked, opened the doors, locked car again...same thing a wee beep before locking, unlocked the car again.....however what i am thinking is.....could this be causing the battery to go flat ?

Ps...The interior lights go out after about 15 sec as normal.

With the alarm activated the BCU goes into sleep mode after 20 minutes, with one door/boot/bonnet open the alarm isn't engaged and the BCU doesn't go to sleep. You need to sort out the bonnet switch. With the bonnet switch depressed by hand does the car lock without making a beep. If it does then the bonnet isn't pushing down the switch so you need to glue a felt or steel washer to the bonnet where the bonnet switch is.

I suggest renewing the switch if the rubber boot is damaged as water can get in.

Graham1961 21st May 2015 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragrad (Post 2005274)
Don't know about what is causing the battery to go flat, but IMO change the switch. I had the same problem and that is what I did. Never had a problem since (6 years ago) a relatively cheap fix. Lots of threads on this issue in this forum ;)

As for the battery drain :shrug:

I might be wrong about the bonnet switch causing the battery drain, the battery is about 5 year old and the car isn't used every day, so the battery might be on it's way out, but when i tried to lock the car, the car gave of a wee beep before locking which made me wonder if it was causing the battery to drain.

I will replace the switch though.:}

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodgerD (Post 2005275)
With the alarm activated the BCU goes into sleep mode after 20 minutes, with one door/boot/bonnet open the alarm isn't engaged and the BCU doesn't go to sleep. You need to sort out the bonnet switch. With the bonnet switch depressed by hand does the car lock without making a beep. If it does then the bonnet isn't pushing down the switch so you need to glue a felt or steel washer to the bonnet where the bonnet switch is.

I suggest renewing the switch if the rubber boot is damaged as water can get in.

Thanks Rodger.

I did try and hold the bonnet switch down by pressing it down by hand, then locking the car, but same thing..still beeped before locking, did notice the lights going of as usual after shutting the door (without locking) bonnet light goes off when ignition is switched off.

Dragrad 21st May 2015 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 (Post 2005276)
I might be wrong about the bonnet switch causing the battery drain, the battery is about 5 year old and the car isn't used every day, so the battery might be on it's way out, but when i tried to lock the car, the car gave of a wee beep before locking which made me wonder if it was causing the battery to drain.

I will replace the switch though.:}

Good idea :} The car will beep if it cannot lock properly, and I think that includes arming the alarm system. The car may physically lock, but the alarm is disabled, but in my experience after a while the car alarm would go off....

Actually never tried the doors etc afterwards, just left it unlocked and hoped that that no one would visit it, until I replaced the switch within a couple of days. Being out in the sticks has its advantages:D

EDIT... Oops cross posted

Graham1961 21st May 2015 23:17

The car is in my garage, however i have just bought a bonnet switch of E-Bay for a tennner.

Dragrad 21st May 2015 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 (Post 2005282)
The car is in my garage, however i have just bought a bonnet switch of E-Bay for a tennner.

Good luck on fitting it, had to take the front end off mine... big hands:devil:

Graham1961 21st May 2015 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragrad (Post 2005285)
Good luck on fitting it, had to take the front end off mine... big hands:devil:

That has cheered me up......:eek:

Dragrad 22nd May 2015 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 (Post 2005287)
That has cheered me up......:eek:

Forewarned is forearmed :D Just be careful with the locking lugs, they can snap off :mad: Besides, with the front end off, think of all the other little jobs you can do :D:D Silver lining... cloud and all that ;)

RodgerD 22nd May 2015 00:49

The beep is definitely an indicator that one or more alarmed access points isn't locked, in your case it looks like the bonnet switch isn't working.

I see you have a MK2 so off come the bumper.