The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   A few Symphony usage questions (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2666)

Rich 1st February 2007 15:17

A few Symphony usage questions

Being new to this Symphony malarky, it's behaviour strikes me as a little odd to say the least :flog:

1) Why are the bass/treble/etc settings different on each mode? ie. set the bass to -7 on the cd player and the radio bass stays at -5, can I "pair" them all up so one setting fits all audio sources?

2) How can I display the track time for a CD? I don't really care what track number I'm listening too ;)

3) I can't seem to turn the head unit on and off via the steering wheel controls (all other functions work ok)

4) If MAN is set on CD mode, pressing left and right skips through the current track, but the steering controls still advance a track instead of playing the current track faster

Help :(

mach1rob 1st February 2007 15:47

I know exactly what you mean Rich! Mind, saying that my Kenwood head unit would have different bass and treble settings for each mode, it wouldn't keep same setting for each one.

I don't think you can switch it on or off via wheel controls, I've yet to come across a Rover system that does.

As to the other points, no idea, but if you do find out how to get track time displayed I'll be your best mate! :p:

Alex30013k 1st February 2007 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 27760)
Being new to this Symphony malarky, it's behaviour strikes me as a little odd to say the least :flog:

1) Why are the bass/treble/etc settings different on each mode? ie. set the bass to -7 on the cd player and the radio bass stays at -5, can I "pair" them all up so one setting fits all audio sources?

2) How can I display the track time for a CD? I don't really care what track number I'm listening too ;)

3) I can't seem to turn the head unit on and off via the steering wheel controls (all other functions work ok)

4) If MAN is set on CD mode, pressing left and right skips through the current track, but the steering controls still advance a track instead of playing the current track faster

1) Never noticed that?

2) Dont think you can

3)You cant...

4)Never noticed that too

Christopher 1st February 2007 16:23

Quote:

On my harmony:

3) can't do it

4) press and hold the steering control and it skips through cd tracks ...

Jürgen 1st February 2007 16:47

Quote:

No, you can't (except doing it manually), Rich.

I like this feature, because my MP3 player needs a different setting from the CD changer, which needs a slightly different setting from the radio.

Simon 1st February 2007 17:30

Must admit half of the above I never noticed.

I do like the ability to have different bass/trebble etc settings per source - I never knew it did that!

Don't know about displaying time remaining but to do so would require hacking in to the software on the headunit itself. Something way beyond what I'm capable of though. Perhaps an Alpine-dedicated website could point us in the direction of software-hacks on Alpine equipment... As for turning the unit on/off, again it would require a software-hack to enable the unit to be switched via any button rather than the obligitory on/off button.

Methinks I've opened a can of worms by suggesting this.... :pillow: Anyone fancy a go? :getmecoat:

Rich 1st February 2007 18:06

Cheers for the replies gentlemen :)

The power on/off was interesting as my old Sony headunit with autoleads allowed all sorts of things to be done via the wheel.

So, on with the questions!

5) My CD source is quieter than my FM source, does service mode allow me to turn up the gain?

6) Can I tap into one of the mini-iso plugs and feed an mp3 player in to the head unit? How do ipod things work?

7) Can the cd play tracks at random or just one after the other?

These Q's all stem from half an hour of playing/testing today. Expect more Q's tomorrow :)

Simon 1st February 2007 18:09

Random play can be enabled by pressing and holding one of the buttons... I forget which one. Will edit post when I find out....

EDIT: "Press and hold SCAN for about two seconds"

Rich 1st February 2007 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon D (Post 27863)
Random play can be enabled <snip> "Press and hold SCAN for about two seconds"

HURRAH \o/

Always a handy feature when your changer mag is loaded with Transvision Vamp, Dr Dre, Abba and some 300bpm happy hardcore, you never know whats around the next corner :D

Cheers Simon, I shall be sure to hit that button tomorrow :)

Simon 1st February 2007 18:17

Other features of Symphony:

* Press and hold AM/FM for a while and the unit will auto-store the six strongest radio signals.

* Press and the right-hand knob (bass/trebble etc) for two seconds and the unit will reset all bass/trebble etc settings on all sources to "0".

* Service Mode: Press and hold "MAN" after radio has started and within 8 seconds of it switching on. After about 8 seconds, service mode will appear. You will get information on serial number, software build-date and GAL, which is German for Speed-Sensite Volume adjustment.