The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   stolen Cat (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308019)

red4ever 20th September 2020 09:58

stolen Cat

Had my Catalytic Converter stolen over night on Friday, whats that all about? why would they want a 16 year old Cat? £550 for a new exhaust:mad:

Ched 20th September 2020 10:10

Some of the cats fitted to our cars are worth well over £200 scrap value.

I've noticed a few cars around here have stickers on saying cat guard fitted.

ADO282 20th September 2020 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by red4ever (Post 2837742)
Had my Catalytic Converter stolen over night on Friday, whats that all about? why would they want a 16 year old Cat? £550 for a new exhaust:mad:

Because the original V6 catalytic convertor is worth around £400 scrap is the answer.

The chap at the garage who MOTd my car on Friday was telling me they had replaced the original convertors on a few cars to aftermarket ones instead of fitting new flexi joints, as the originals were worth as much and sometimes more than the car itself.

So if a replacement part costs £150 and the original faulty part can be sold for recovery for £400, it doesn't take a genius to see why thieves might target our cars.

For me, no badges and a bolted on undertray to at least make life a little more difficult for the scumbags.

red4ever 20th September 2020 10:18

Wow I had no idea my exhaust was worth more than the rest of the car, sounds like a Lancaster now which is pretty cool.:D

kelvo 20th September 2020 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADO282 (Post 2837746)
Because the original V6 catalytic convertor is worth around £400 scrap is the answer.

The chap at the garage who MOTd my car on Friday was telling me they had replaced the original convertors on a few cars to aftermarket ones instead of fitting new flexi joints, as the originals were worth as much and sometimes more than the car itself.

So if a replacement part costs £150 and the original faulty part can be sold for recovery for £400, it doesn't take a genius to see why thieves might target our cars.

For me, no badges and a bolted on undertray to at least make life a little more difficult for the scumbags.

Had the cat stolen off my V6 some time back. Managed to get a good second hand front pipe with OEM cat on as the aftermarket one are just cheap ones.

Unfortunately, the undertray doesn't go far enough back to protect it and they put a jack under the sill to lift the car to get at it.

roverbarmy 20th September 2020 10:40

A 230v wire to the exhaust should work as a deterrent! Just joking occifer! :D

rrobson 20th September 2020 11:52

As above, I’ve recently weighed a few in I’d been collecting and got a healthy payment. The 1.8t’s are worth the most but you get two on a v6.
Prices of precious metals are going up a lot quicker than everything else. Steel was only £60 a ton and that was a good price at the time. Gold, silver etc is doing very well which is why the price of cats are up.

smudge.g 20th September 2020 12:20

My first MOT on my freelander after returning to UK from living in Naples, failed on emissions. Eventually, after many tests, the garage said that the cat had been emptied and just the shell was left, probably by our local 'trusted' mechanic when the car had the head gasket done in italy!!

egremont 20th September 2020 13:08

Rare earth materials are expensive.

Rare earths are expensive. And are likely to become more expensive as the following article records - "China holds a global monopoly on the production of rare earth minerals, which are used across the civilian and defence technology ecosystems,"

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/au...25-p55p8s.html

Recently our friends to the north approached our government to buy into our main rare earth company. Offer declined.
Graphene is the other monopolised material mentioned in the article.
I thought two professors at your Manchester University discovered the process of converting graphite to graphene, and yet the article states “only China has the technology and scale to purify graphite into graphene. Seems to have been a missed opportunity as China has declared graphite a strategic mineral.
Hope this is not too political,

oldie 20th September 2020 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2837751)
A 230v wire to the exhaust should work as a deterrent! Just joking occifer! :D

Cave ne furem. Serve them rightly for trying to take something not theirs. A couple of dead thieves lying around the place might dissuade others.