The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   garmin (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=156224)

revor64 20th August 2013 22:37

garmin

Hello.
Tonight I find myself guided by my garmin on a road between airport Bristol and the A370. Need to go to Taunton.
Now this is a chalange, when not only driving on the other side of the road, but also on the wrong side in the car, with the gear knob at my left. pfff.
Looking on the map, it seems much more easy and quicker to use the A38.

If this would be the first time I find myself on this very small and dangerous road, I would say, it is an incident.
But this garmin seems to send me always to the mosth chalanging routes.

Is there any experience with those devices ?
Are there people who experience the same with a garmin device ?

I really get anoyed, and start to find this device really dangerous.
It seems to want me show the smallest roads instead of the quickest way from A to B.

tareim 20th August 2013 22:39

have you told it to avoid motorways? as that'd be the quickest route.

look for signs saying M5 South or M5 Taunton.

do you have a smartphone with google maps? I'd trust that more than any purpose sat nav

revor64 20th August 2013 22:55

I only instructed the garmin to go to Taunton.
I arrived there, that's true, but the route is not what I expected.
It is not the first time I get send trough strange road, or even dirth roads, farmer path etc.
The garmin is set to avoid dirt roads, but even those are choosen sometimes. I think garmin does not see any difference at all anymore between whatever road.

tareim 20th August 2013 22:57

that's why I'd never use an actual sat nav, google seems to be a little bit more clever, though I am slowly switching over to the Waze app which is run by the community of users

spyder 20th August 2013 23:15

Make sure that Garmin is set to the fastest route in settings. I toggle between fastest and shortest if I know the area, or if I have looked on a map or google.

If in doubt leave it on the fastest.

Craig

revor64 20th August 2013 23:39

It is set to fastest route.

chipsceola 20th August 2013 23:43

From Bristol airport the shortest/fastest route is via the A370 until you reach J21 Weston-Super-Mare where you should have joined the M5 taking you to Taunton at J26 approx. 1 mile north /or J27 Wellington (5 miles South of Taunton)

James.uk 21st August 2013 01:05

Sometimes it pays to split your route when using a sat-nav.

In your case Bristol-Taunton, go to the nearest mway jctn first, so set sat-nav for "Easton in Gordano".. Once there, set it for Taunton.. :}

I do this at times to avoid long cross country A/B road routes..

E.G for London, I set Sheffield, then london... Or Knutsford then London.. :}

strambo 21st August 2013 07:04

garmin

The best thing to do with garmin is throw it n the bin. Get a TomTom always reliable. I had a garmin when driving was necessary for my job, it was rubbish, always sent me the wrong way, and as you say they are dangerous!

Grumpy1 21st August 2013 08:54

It's always worth remembering that the shortest route is very rarely the fastest and vice versa! :)

Chad. :}