The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fuel pump relay (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=304207)

FLYING BANANA 12th April 2020 14:38

Fuel pump relay

Any reason why this relay should fail less than 6 months since a new one was fitted. Banana would start but then stop. No sound of the pump running So swapped the relay over and the pump was heard. Now runs ok. Got a couple of new ones on there way to me. Going to keep them in the car, just in case.

RogerHeinz57 12th April 2020 15:03

Poor earthing could be the cause of the issues, the relay may be in receipt of a good 12v supply, but if the earth has high resistance, this may result in poor relay operation causing tarnishing of the internal contacts, leading to failed operation.

FLYING BANANA 12th April 2020 17:16

1.8t under the bonnet.

SD1too 12th April 2020 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2805553)
1.8t under the bonnet.

Bob,

The fuel pump relay is in the passenger compartment fusebox, not under the bonnet. Is it R4 which has been giving trouble?

Simon

FLYING BANANA 12th April 2020 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2805558)
Bob,

The fuel pump relay is in the passenger compartment fusebox, not under the bonnet. Is it R4 which has been giving trouble?

Simon

Well the AA chap last September said it was the fuel pump relay, he plugged her in and came up as a fault on the screen.

There is a single yellow relay next to a smaller black one.
Next row is a faded green one and next to it is the bright new yellow one, this is the one that I swapped over with the cooling fan relay, just like the AA man did.

So what does the R4 one do? Does it stop the fuel pump working?

marinabrian 12th April 2020 18:58

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2805589)
Well the AA chap last September said it was the fuel pump relay, he plugged her in and came up as a fault on the screen.

There is a single yellow relay next to a smaller black one.
Next row is a faded green one and next to it is the bright new yellow one, this is the one that I swapped over with the cooling fan relay, just like the AA man did.

So what does the R4 one do? Does it stop the fuel pump working?

Bob, both the AA man, and SD1too are incorrect, the fuel pump relay is in the passenger compartment fusebox, and it is relay 3

I've attached the layout of the relays for you, and as an aside, all of the relays in the hardwired passenger compartment fusebox are the same, so if you suspect a defective fuel pump relay, then you can exchange it for the horn relay......minimal tools, and an easy audible test of the relay functionality ;)

Brian :D

FLYING BANANA 12th April 2020 19:12

So what does the relay do that I have swapped over with? Before the swap no sound from the fuel pump, when changed I can hear the pump and she starts.

marinabrian 12th April 2020 19:20

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2805610)
So what does the relay do that I have swapped over with? Before the swap no sound from the fuel pump, when changed I can hear the pump and she starts.

Probably the main relay, without which the ECM is effectively powered down.

I've attached the layout of the engine compartment fusebox, so you can identify which relay exactly :cool:

Brian :D

FLYING BANANA 12th April 2020 19:36

So the R4 relay is at fault then, and not the fuel pump relay? I swapped it with R5 to get her started.

Thanks for your help Brian. Will get it sorted out as soon as the lockdown ceases.

SD1too 13th April 2020 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2805600)
... SD1too are incorrect, the fuel pump relay is in the passenger compartment fusebox ...

Brian,that's exactly what I told Bob prior to your post:
Quote:

The fuel pump relay is in the passenger compartment fusebox ...

I was correct so I think you owe me an apology.
Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2805615)
Probably the main relay, without which the ECM is effectively powered down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2805622)
So the R4 relay is at fault then, and not the fuel pump relay?

Bob, please note that I alerted you to R4 before MarinaBrian's intervention:
Quote:

Is it R4 which has been giving trouble?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2805622)
Thanks for your help Brian.

I'm glad to have been of help Bob. Remember, don't believe everything the breakdown services tell you.

Simon