The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Smoke without fire (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=263997)

oldie 20th March 2017 07:04

Smoke without fire

As the car had been idle for a fortnight I went for a little drive yesterday p.m. Included was a good workout on a nearby by-pass. When I slowed/stopped for traffic lights I noticed some smoke from the off-side front wheel-arch. Stopped at a lay-by, bonnet up, all seemed well other than a burning smell around the wheel -arch. Drive home uneventful.

Brakes or something else?

FLYING BANANA 20th March 2017 07:13

Could be a collapsed flexi pipe has caused the calliper to seize and push the piston against the disc thus stopping the piston to return.

That's what happened on mine. Fitted a new pipe and calliper and all was well again.

wullie480 20th March 2017 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldie (Post 2463981)
As the car had been idle for a fortnight I went for a little drive yesterday p.m. Included was a good workout on a nearby by-pass. When I slowed/stopped for traffic lights I noticed some smoke from the off-side front wheel-arch. Stopped at a lay-by, bonnet up, all seemed well other than a burning smell around the wheel -arch. Drive home uneventful.

Brakes or something else?

Sticking caliper maybe with it sitting.

Was the wheel hot?

COLVERT 20th March 2017 20:16

Oldie.

Still burning when you got home or not ????

As Wullie said. Was the wheel or hub hot ??

oldie 20th March 2017 22:59

Didn't check the wheels specifically. Will go for another trip and check soonest.

Arryhall 21st March 2017 19:46

Don't touch the disc to see or feel, if it's hot!

Not that I did that, or anything. :o

trikey 21st March 2017 20:22

99% sure it will be a sticky caliper, they tend to seize up if stood a while.

Mike Noc 21st March 2017 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arryhall (Post 2464876)

Spit on your finger then a very quick light dab is safe enough - if it sizzles the disc has got a tad too warm. :D

ianbstag 21st March 2017 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arryhall (Post 2464876)

Stings a bit doesn't it? (Blister on my index finger took ages to heal...)

oldie 23rd March 2017 06:28

Measured the temperature near the calliper with a digital thermometer probe on front and back wheels. Fronts were warmer than the rear and offside front the hottest. Guess it's a sticking caliper.

How, if at all, do the front brakes differ from those of a Rover v6? Are the requisite bits commonly available?

ianbstag 24th March 2017 11:11

When I had a similar problem, I got a pair from here

Excellent, quick service, and top quality parts.

One other thing, it could be the brake flexy pipe collapsing internally, so for the sake of a few quid, it might be worth changing these too.

Good luck! :}

T16 25th March 2017 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldie (Post 2465486)
Measured the temperature near the calliper with a digital thermometer probe on front and back wheels. Fronts were warmer than the rear and offside front the hottest. Guess it's a sticking caliper.

How, if at all, do the front brakes differ from those of a Rover v6? Are the requisite bits commonly available?

Identical to a 190 at the front. Rears of course totally different.

oldie 26th March 2017 17:36

Three journeys this weekend. Saturday morning 10 miles, taking my son swimming. Some spirited driving until burning odour and a bit of smoke. Some steering wheel judder. Off-side front very warm and strong brake-burning smell. Afternoon return journey not exceeding 50 mph no problem and brakes cool. Sunday afternoon, including some foot-down stuff on accelerator and brake, no problem. Maybe I need to use the car more frequently as well as getting the brakes checked.

T16 26th March 2017 19:47

Its quite normal a sticky caliper is helped by regular use.

It wont stop the underlying problem, which will be corrosion of the cylinder, or corrosion/dry slide pins.

Best whip it off, and see how free the slide pins are, grease em up liberally with the right grease, and see how she goes.

oldie 3rd April 2017 18:07

2 Attachment(s)
Having driven relatively frequently recently there is still an issue with the off-side front. Below 50 mph all seems well, or insufficiently severe as to generate excessive heat. Above 60 mph then over-heating brakes becomes evident. Attached is a picture of the off-side front disc. I assume a replacement is necessary. Caused by a dodgy calliper?

Any advice re. required bits? Discs from the TwoSixties, MG ZT 190 callipers from Rimmers? Any particular nuts, bolts, pipes etc. I should consider? Assume some bleeding of brakes is required. Now the imponderable question: basic DIY or Garage task? If DIY has anyone definitive advice as to where to position axle stands (clean answers only please).

Mike Noc 3rd April 2017 19:33

The last two calipers I've had seize just needed stripping and cleaning out.

Wasn't a 260 though, just an old stone crusher. :D

peterv6 5th April 2017 08:25

You should never continue driving with a seized caliper thinking/hoping it will fix itself! Had you taken it off and cleaned/ replaced it right away it might have saved you new discs, caliper and new break fluid.

Discs get very hot and loose breaking power plus it will break other parts.

Ozjensen 9th April 2017 08:46

Front brakes are the same as the 190. Rear brakes are unique to the V8's.

Hope you get the issue sorted soon.

Cheers

Tony

oldie 13th April 2017 19:20

New "260's" grooved and drilled discs; thank-you Tim, a pleasure to meet you. New pads, cleaned callipers and replacement flexi-pipes. Seems the pipes may have been the primary problem necessitating the other work. Used MJS in Littlehampton, recommended by Bob (of Banana and Bear fame). Transpires a prudent decision. They had some difficulty in obtaining the correct flexi-pipe for one side. The factors had two pipes with the same part number and repeatedly sent the wrong one. I used my time more satisfactorily. Drove home in a spirited manner and the brakes remained cool. Suppose it might be worthwhile having the rear pipes checked in the near future. The car had been idle for some time before I bought. What will be the next surprise I wonder?