The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Yes folks..Its the quarter tank issue! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310357)

Mr Jiminy 7th January 2021 18:54

Yes folks..Its the quarter tank issue!

Greetings and happy new year, oh people with good car taste!

Potted history, I bought the car in June (Diesel) and it was a genuine "little old lady" car, used for about 15 miles a week. Of course, when I started putting miles on it the poor thing didn't know what hit it. I serviced it, Did the BMW swirl pot mod and replaced the Crank pulley as this started to sound like Thor's hammer.
Always kept the car topped up, but the inevitable happened and It got to 1/4 tank and would not restart. I emphisize restart, as the car worked perfectly for the trip. I naturally replaced both the tank pump and the one under the power barn.
My issue is...It still refuses to start if the level drops to 1/4 or lower. I DID NOT disturb the filter side of the tank. Is there some chance that I have a disconnected pipe or similar? Or is there anything I could do to the filter side while I check?

I would very much like to not have to play fuel gauge bingo! PS, fuel gauge does appear to work correctly.

Many thanks all, and sorry for possibly skinning a dead horse topic! Jim

trikey 7th January 2021 18:59

Welcome along, did you clip the pick up into the bottom of the tank correctly? It can be a swine to locate properly.

Mr Jiminy 7th January 2021 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2858334)
Welcome along, did you clip the pick up into the bottom of the tank correctly? It can be a swine to locate properly.

As far as I remember, I'm sure I did. As I have said, I did not disturb the filter side, so perhaps a cautionary look at the plumbing on that side may be in order.

Do you think its worth doing the orange clip mod if one is required?
Thanks, Jim

marinabrian 7th January 2021 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Jiminy (Post 2858339)
As far as I remember, I'm sure I did. As I have said, I did not disturb the filter side, so perhaps a cautionary look at the plumbing on that side may be in order.

Thanks, Jim

The diesel doesn't have the filter of the type that is fitted with an orange clip ;)

Time to revisit the cross tank pipework I'd say :cool:

Brian :D

trikey 7th January 2021 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Jiminy (Post 2858339)

Thanks, Jim

No orange clip required on the diesel, the pick up is in the pump side of the tank, worth another look to be sure.

Mr Jiminy 7th January 2021 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2858344)
No orange clip required on the diesel, the pick up is in the pump side of the tank, worth another look to be sure.

I will definitely recheck it. Thank you.

COLVERT 7th January 2021 21:57

It is very easy to keep the fuel tank well topped up.

I try not to let mine go below half if I can.---After the first fill it doesn't cost any more to do the regular fill.

My in tank pump and the under bonnet tank are both original from new.---Over 16 years ago now and I've never had any fuel supply problems at all.

macafee2 8th January 2021 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2858364)
It is very easy to keep the fuel tank well topped up.

I try not to let mine go below half if I can.---After the first fill it doesn't cost any more to do the regular fill.

My in tank pump and the under bonnet tank are both original from new.---Over 16 years ago now and I've never had any fuel supply problems at all.

why lug all that weight around if you are not going to use it?

macafee2

Yorkshire GOC 8th January 2021 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Jiminy (Post 2858333)
Greetings and happy new year, oh people with good car taste!

Potted history, I bought the car in June (Diesel) and it was a genuine "little old lady" car, used for about 15 miles a week. Of course, when I started putting miles on it the poor thing didn't know what hit it. I serviced it, Did the BMW swirl pot mod and replaced the Crank pulley as this started to sound like Thor's hammer.
Always kept the car topped up, but the inevitable happened and It got to 1/4 tank and would not restart. I emphisize restart, as the car worked perfectly for the trip. I naturally replaced both the tank pump and the one under the power barn.
My issue is...It still refuses to start if the level drops to 1/4 or lower. I DID NOT disturb the filter side of the tank. Is there some chance that I have a disconnected pipe or similar? Or is there anything I could do to the filter side while I check?

I would very much like to not have to play fuel gauge bingo! PS, fuel gauge does appear to work correctly.

Many thanks all, and sorry for possibly skinning a dead horse topic! Jim

My neighbours ZT 02 diesel would not start when the tank was 1/4 full - am sure it was a failing under bonnet pump :icon_question:

trikey 8th January 2021 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2858395)
My neighbours ZT 02 diesel would not start when the tank was 1/4 full - am sure it was a failing under bonnet pump :icon_question:

It was! I remember it well 👍