The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   NAC & SAIC (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   MG3 Paint issues (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=260984)

murphyv310 29th January 2017 08:46

MG3 Paint issues

Hi.
My daughters MG3 has so many paint chips on the bonnet it's unbelievable. I'm not talking about 10 or 20 but there must be over a hundred.
The paint is either too soft, brittle or badly primed. She's here later today so if I can get my camera to focus on them I'll post it up.
Has anyone else had any paint issues?

Christopher Price 29th January 2017 09:32

Is it a non-metallic colour?

murphyv310 29th January 2017 10:34

Yes just a solid red.

Christopher Price 29th January 2017 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyv310 (Post 2438895)
Yes just a solid red.

Then sadly as it's a water based paint (and thus very soft) as it doesn't have a coat of lacquer protecting it (like the metallic colours) it's very common on today's cars, as of course painting cars with solvent based paint, kills Polar bears, doesn't it. Does the Chinese product come with a paintwork warranty? If so, it may be worth approaching your dealer to get re-painted under warranty, if not then when you have the front end re-painted, I would suggest that you get the painter to use something other than a water based paint.

Christopher Price 29th January 2017 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Price (Post 2438969)
Does the Chinese product come with a paintwork warranty?

Just done a quick Google as I was curious. http://mg.co.uk/owners/warranty/#vip...30th-june-2016 If the car is under 3 years old and 60,000 miles, then it has a paintwork warranty, so I would suggest you approach the suppling dealer for some warranty paintwork repairs. From experience, they will be reticent to do it, but insist, as it's not unreasonable to expect the cars finish to last at least 3 years, if not, then the car is "Not of merchantable quality" and rejected and you can legally get a full refund of the original purchase price.

wullie480 29th January 2017 20:41

My neighbours Audi S3 is the same (solid red)
Modern water based just isn't as tough as solvent based paints.

murphyv310 30th January 2017 16:41

Hi.
The odd thing its only the bonnet, the bumper and the rest of the panels are OK.
Am I not correct the facelift 75 was water based painted? When I got paint mixed up for the 05 Firefrost car I was told according to the system it was.
I think though that some water based painted cars are fine, the Panda for instance has no chips on the bonnet whatsoever and has done more miles than the MG3 and is a year older.

Christopher Price 30th January 2017 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyv310 (Post 2439635)
Hi.
The odd thing its only the bonnet, the bumper and the rest of the panels are OK.
Am I not correct the facelift 75 was water based painted? When I got paint mixed up for the 05 Firefrost car I was told according to the system it was.
I think though that some water based painted cars are fine, the Panda for instance has no chips on the bonnet whatsoever and has done more miles than the MG3 and is a year older.

So have you had it back to the Dealer then?

murphyv310 31st January 2017 04:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Price (Post 2439834)
So have you had it back to the Dealer then?

No as my daughter doesn't live with us. A good visual inspection shows no other places with chips than the bonnet. Emma will need to arrange a dealer inspection at a time suitable for her as she works long hours.

Burwell Mike 31st January 2017 05:47

1 Attachment(s)
My wife has a mettallic blue MG3 (stuck on blue) which she has had for about 18months and 10,000 miles. So far the bonnet is unblemished which would seem to confirm what other posters have said about metallic finishes being more durable. Hope your daughter manages to sort it out with the dealer.
Attachment 64744