The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Launch Car Rear Suspension Help (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317305)

DRC66 17th January 2022 11:49

Launch Car Rear Suspension Help

Last year one of the rear springs broke on my launch car. Two replacements were purchased from Discount MG Rover Spares but when it came to fitting we discovered that one of the lower arms was so badly corroded that it was starting to bend and one of the trailing arms was also in a bad way.

To cut a long story short took the plunge and replaced everything. Rear subframe, upper and lower arms, trailing arms, bushes, anti roll bar, rear dampers. Also ended up replacing the front dampers. DMGRS were great for the parts.

I’ve owned the car for six years and believe very strongly in doing all I can to keep her on the road. She’s almost twenty three and been used so hopefully these repairs will outlast me!!

My question is about trim height. I’ve seen Rover Group technical advice that from hub centre to wheel arch (unladen) its

Front 408.5 + or - 10mm

Rear 399 + or - 10mm

The front on mine is bang on 410mm however the rear is 370mm on the near side and 365mm on the off side.

Trying to find out what we’ve done wrong or how to raise the rear by 20mm to get within the tolerances.

I did read that if replacement springs or shock absorbers are fitted then these may affect the factory figures.

Sorry for the length of this but any knowledge on the matter would be really appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75driver 17th January 2022 17:42

AFAIK it’s the springs that set the ride height. It would appear that the springs are the only items you didn’t replace at the rear!🤭

DRC66 17th January 2022 18:06

They were replaced as well as the originals were broken which was the start of the whole process.

Saga Lout 17th January 2022 18:45

It sounds like...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRC66 (Post 2916862)
They were replaced as well as the originals were broken which was the start of the whole process.

The only thing it could be is a weak spring if everything else is true.

75driver 17th January 2022 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRC66 (Post 2916862)

What did you replace them with?

DRC66 17th January 2022 20:08

The rear springs were purchased from DMGRS listed as Rover 75 rear springs on their website.

Mike Noc 18th January 2022 07:24

As mentioned the ride height can only be down to the springs.

Typhoon190 18th January 2022 11:46

Good to see another being kept on for long service.

I assume you fitted both upper and lower spring isolators? I'm sure I've seen two different thicknesses on the lower isolators. Perhaps this accounts for the descrepancy if the springs have been manufactured considering the thicker type and yours has the thinner type fitted?

DRC66 18th January 2022 12:04

I found a post from 2003 on a MG Rover site that says the spring specification is on a label under the near side of the rear seat.

Had a look and sure enough the label is there although a bit faded with age but I can just make it out. It’s stamped Spring and Damper Specification

Model R40 Date 29/04/99 Time 1109

Formal ID 3012

MWL 08170033

The cars VIN number

CL Codes

Front RH PG
Front LH JG

RR Damper (left blank or completely faded)

RR Spring RC

I see Rimmer Bros sell rear springs with various codes including RC so maybe it’s a pair of RC’s I need.