The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Clicking brakes (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=188654)

Mischief 6th July 2014 13:31

Clicking brakes

It's been winding me up for a while, I thought it was the handbrake shoes but I have had them adjusted correctly now, the clicking went away for a while now it's back. It stops when applying the brakes what could it be? :shrug:

Phil-T4 6th July 2014 14:53

Check the calipers still have the spring clips attached and see if there is any excessive movement of the pads in the calipers.

clf 6th July 2014 14:57

Would second that, also if they are present, try bending them out to exert more tension against those pads

Mischief 6th July 2014 15:52

I put new spring clips in place when the new brakes were fitted but they have been removed a few times, I have 2 spares so will swap them over and see if that helps.

Mischief 6th July 2014 17:29

Swapped them over and still the same :( any other ideas at all?

pab 6th July 2014 17:51

The correct name is a anti rattle clip. The performance of the clip depends on how it has been previosly removed and flexed to it's limit. They are still available on the Rimmers site.

Mischief 6th July 2014 19:07

I have just fitted new ones so it's not that, it's definitely the rear. Strange it goes when applying the brakes :shrug:

It happened before when I had the handbrake shoes adjusted but they were too tight on one side, after getting re done for the mot the handbrake holds on 3 clicks and the noise went away, over the past week it's returned. The mot bloke did say the hand brake was tighter on one side than the other.

RogerHeinz57 6th July 2014 22:14

Clicking brakes

Hello John, judging from the mentioned ideas so far, all of which I would agree with by the way, here is some more to consider,
Has your car have a modded handbrake compensator fitted?
If the symptoms started after the mot, perhaps the testing efforts have caused the adjustments to now be incorrect, or the worst case could be that the parking brake shoes anchorage pins may have pulled through the backplate, this happened on my car. Whilst driving along on undulating roads, there would be a rattle and if the parking brake was applied slightly the noises stopped.
The latter of the two is a real pain to deal with, but I managed a fix on two cars which continue to work well at a cost of a couple of quid each side, either way I would investigate this soon to eliminate damage to the shoes, and if nothing else set your mind at rest.
Sorry if this sounds gloom and doom, but worth checking out.
Cheers.

Mischief 7th July 2014 07:08

I read on another thread about applying the handbrake tried that and didn't work, only time it stops is when the foot brake is applied, I have the modded compensator fitted, the first time it started was when the handbrake was adjusted at the wheels, when they got re adjusted for the mot the noise stopped for a while.

I jacked the car up on all 4 corners and span the wheels front wheels no noise, back wheels it clicks drivers side sides :shrug: I found out the test results on the brakes last night, the drivers side is adjusted a lot tighter than the passenger side I just don't see how applying the foot brake would make it stop if it's the shoes :shrug: