The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   190 V6 just died, electrics, but no crank. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300277)

Beastie 25th October 2019 14:53

190 V6 just died, electrics, but no crank.

New to the forums, so hi all.

Just wondering if anyone may be able to shed a little light on a problem, driving up a hill, all power to vehicle died.

Asked a few other places, have tried 4 of the five suggestions so far.

Changed camshaft sensor.
Changed crankshaft sensor.
Checked fuel inertia switched.
Reset ECU.

Had p0340 code which I believe is camshaft sensor, when changed, that code has now cleared and not reappeared.

Will be checking for FFS over the weekend, have full power, electrics etc but the engine doesn't seem to crank, seems to have no compression, have checked fuses and relays, can't see a problem, have checked earth's, cam belt appears to be fine as do the others, have a video but can't seem to find how to post it.

Would FFS cause a lack of compression?

Sorry for essay, new to ZT's, have had a ZR for years, but the old V6 is a bit different to that.

Thanks I'm advance for any suggestions/advice.

Regards Terry.

Mark Murphy 25th October 2019 15:02

Something i can think of is a wet ECU, as you were going uphill when it died.

350zwelgje 25th October 2019 15:14

If all sensors are now ok and the engine turns over:

- Clip needed on the fuel filter? If separated it won't run. Standard it doesn't have a clip, you can get these on ebay.

- Had a KV6 not starting a month ago, no errors, replaced intank fuel pump (should run for a couple of seconds, didn't hear anything) and all is ok again....

Rob

Beastie 25th October 2019 15:16

Would that not have knocked out the power, central locking etc as well though, never lost power, just engine power.

Beastie 25th October 2019 15:18

It seems to be spinning, but does not seem to crank at all, so maybe I should check for FFS before trying anything else then, cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350zwelgje (Post 2771029)
If all sensors are now ok and the engine turns over:

- Clip needed on the fuel filter? If separated it won't run. Standard it doesn't have a clip, you can get these on ebay.

- Had a KV6 not starting a month ago, no errors, replaced intank fuel pump (should run for a couple of seconds, didn't hear anything) and all is ok again....

Rob

Yorkshire GOC 25th October 2019 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Murphy (Post 2771027)
Something i can think of is a wet ECU, as you were going uphill when it died.

1.8/v6 Petrol ECU's are waterproofed - you would only normally get a drowned ECU on a diesel.:shrug:

Yorkshire GOC 25th October 2019 17:23

Check and clean the spade terminal on the starter motor if corroded it can cause non starting with lights on.:shrug:

stevestrat 25th October 2019 17:52

Dunno about anybody else but I'm getting confused by the use of "cranking" and "spinning" :shrug: Cranking is the normal turning over of the engine just before it fires, spinning indicates (to me) the engine turning over much faster than normal due to a lack of resistance.

Can you clarify what's happening when you try to start the car?

Re the video, you'd need to upload it to Youtube then post a link to it here.

COLVERT 25th October 2019 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastie (Post 2771031)
It seems to be spinning, but does not seem to crank at all, so maybe I should check for FFS before trying anything else then, cheers.

Spinning and cranking means the same thing.---:duh:

Mgaz 25th October 2019 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2771062)
Dunno about anybody else but I'm getting confused by the use of "cranking" and "spinning" :shrug: Cranking is the normal turning over of the engine just before it fires, spinning indicates (to me) the engine turning over much faster than normal due to a lack of resistance.

Can you clarify what's happening when you try to start the car?

Re the video, you'd need to upload it to Youtube then post a link to it here.

I wondered if he meant the starter motor is spinning but not engaging the engine.

Also,... could a broken cam belt cause the engine to spin freely and not fire?