The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   lost faith in mechanic (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=265788)

humptynumpty 18th April 2017 17:45

lost faith in mechanic

Told me to sort small weld patch and rear brakes woild easily be done last friday, then saturday, then monday then said he couldnt get his welding equipment from friend then said he would borrow one, then said he run out of gas then said all done today for 1 pm then started brakes at 11am couldnt get calipers off then said handbrake fell apart so got parts, gave me set price to fit parts to both sides, then in 5 hours only did 1 side says he isnt touching other, ztill wants the set price for extra time and hassle, hasnt done welding and now left car outside garage in unlit ally unlocked and keys with another guy for welding, while i know other guy well i also know be efforts in past so raging isnt the word

humptynumpty 18th April 2017 19:08

Guess the saying is true, you get what you pay for

RPWC 18th April 2017 19:14

Peanuts and Monkeys?

Saga Lout 18th April 2017 19:17

No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humptynumpty (Post 2478975)
Guess the saying is true, you get what you pay for

Some people stretch the good faith of others, they can destroy hope and joy with one sweep of their lack of humanity. If you were close to me, and now my eyes are good, I'd help to sort out your issues. If you pay this fool, make it less than half, he has given up the right to expect a fair wage.

humptynumpty 18th April 2017 19:44

Thanks peeps i distrusted mechanics as it was but more so idiots here now

planenut 18th April 2017 20:10

That is sad, whatever the size of the "organization" that you are entrusting with the work, faults arise at all levels.

As said, we put our trust in some, and others just take advantage of that.

Hope that you soon get it sorted.

bl52krz 18th April 2017 21:25

Sorry to hear about your problems with muckaniks. I found out years ago, around 50 years actually, that if you trust no one but yourself, you can not go far wrong. I perhaps am lucky in that I can usually cope with anything mechanical, it's lektrikery that I fall down on.Hope everything turns out ok for you.

humptynumpty 18th April 2017 21:26

they have told me that brake backing plates are so bad that they have used bolts and washers to hold pads onto discs and that to remove the backing plate would mean removing bearing and they would get destroyed and that my clutch doesnt feel right and needs changing and as for weld he says damage has been caused by somebody jacking it up in past in wrong place

Stickman 18th April 2017 21:28

Are there any trusted traders from the forum near to you buddy ?
Astreus possibly?
Regards
Chris

humptynumpty 18th April 2017 21:33

i dont know, thing is im unemployed and broke so trying to get car sorted as best i can for if a job crops up

genpk 19th April 2017 07:36

i do 90% of the repairs myself,pretty much done most things on these cars EXCEPT for the big things like a belt change.
Being as most mechanics over here look at the KV6 like its from another planet ,i have a great mechanic (english guy) who knows these cars inside and out and just looks at it "no problems" and gets it done.
This guy has shifted around working at a couple of different local auto repair shops,hes just become manager at his current work but wherever he goes,my car goes!!!
Moral of the story,if you find a good mechanic, hang onto them!!!
Having said that,with electric cars etc in the future ,be interesting to see what happens to all the back yard mechanics !!

Annie 19th April 2017 07:46

my father was a mechanic and my late husband. they both taught me to be self-reliant and ever since his passing a few years back myself and my eldest teen have kept our cars in perfect running condition.

Ravinder 19th April 2017 08:14

Get your car back asap!!!

kc13661 19th April 2017 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2478981)
Peanuts and Monkeys?

Oh No..... we just had one thread that had this same comment on, and it caused a stir...... "Peanuts and Monkeys"

Just because you pay a low rate, does not mean you get a poor job, sadly the OP has had a bad experience, but not all low paid workers produce poor quality workmanship !

I am sure that you yourself Richard commented on the rates of pay in my industry.

humptynumpty 19th April 2017 15:15

Well not even a cheep this is 7 days since MOT for a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- brake disc and handbrake shoes on 1 side if not done by friday gonna cost another MOT, he is a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- useless NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- and im currently wanting to put teeth down his throat

Kennyeth 20th April 2017 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by humptynumpty (Post 2479318)
Well not even a cheep this is 7 days since MOT for a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- brake disc and handbrake shoes on 1 side if not done by friday gonna cost another MOT, he is a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- useless NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- and im currently wanting to put teeth down his throat

Why don`t you rant at your mechanic? I can see by your post you know a few "choice words" get your car back and start over ;)
Good luck with the employment search.
Ken.

humptynumpty 20th April 2017 12:37

He has decided to go away for 4 days last minute so mate has car, even tho MOT tester said just do 1 disc and sill he is now not chuffed with 1 disc but its what he put on MOT but i need its ticket tomorrow no matter what for job monday

grivas 20th April 2017 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2478981)
Peanuts and Monkeys?

Monkeys,I am told no longer eat peanuts, they have developed a taste for more tasty morsels since they have become mechanics specializing in Rover 75.!!!!

How many times has it been said on this forum, beware of garages out of their debt when it comes to our cars, the moment the guys said he was going to borrow............................., I would have collected car and run far far away.:eek:

grivas 20th April 2017 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by humptynumpty (Post 2479080)
they have told me that brake backing plates are so bad that they have used bolts and washers to hold pads onto discs and that to remove the backing plate would mean removing bearing and they would get destroyed and that my clutch doesnt feel right and needs changing and as for weld he says damage has been caused by somebody jacking it up in past in wrong place

Collect car, pay nothing, run away NOW!!, do it.

humptynumpty 20th April 2017 15:42

He hasnt got it now a good friend has who says it will be done tonight for rechecking tomorrow, im happy to pay him but MOT tester says eith plate and 1 brake disc changed he didnt seem happy and says will have to see tomorrow but he told me on MOT it just needed plate welded and that 1 disc changed, si if thats all it needs and its within 10 days can he demand full MOT or just on items it failed on like he told me

murphyv310 20th April 2017 16:54

Why is it failing on a back plate? The shoes can be held in place with threaded 4BA rod, washers and nuts obviously with retaining springs in place, The back plate is only a shield, at worst an advisory.

humptynumpty 20th April 2017 17:00

No bud needed a plate welded to rear drivers side sill about 6 inch long

murphyv310 20th April 2017 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by humptynumpty (Post 2479830)
No bud needed a plate welded to rear drivers side sill about 6 inch long

Post 8 you mentioned the back plates. Hope your doing both rear discs cos if you arnt then you'll have an imbalance and a fail on the rollers.

humptynumpty 20th April 2017 17:15

Mechanic hasnt no but it passed the imbslance testvin MOT on 12th just failed because hevsaid drivers brake disc looked bad and weak so he told me ro change that disc and weld hole in sill then when done needed a quick inspection to see they had been done and would get a ticket but i was wondering if they passed brake test on 12th but failed on looking weak, will he do another brake test or just inspection of condition, he said it would only be another £10

Rooney 20th April 2017 17:34

Humpty, don't be a numpty.

Stop listening to anything they're telling you - there are seagulls on my hedge who make more sense.

Get your car back, pay nothing, get a decent mechanic to look at it :)

humptynumpty 20th April 2017 17:42

I havnt worked in 3 months im needing car for new job on monday and am borrowing money from sister for tax, insurance and fuel so as brake disc had finally been done and welding almost done and i will get other brake done with first lot of pay can he fail car again on mot when he just said it needed a o/s disc changed and patch in o/s sill that is what is done

murphyv310 20th April 2017 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by humptynumpty (Post 2479847)
I havnt worked in 3 months im needing car for new job on monday and am borrowing money from sister for tax, insurance and fuel so as brake disc had finally been done and welding almost done and i will get other brake done with first lot of pay can he fail car again on mot when he just said it needed a o/s disc changed and patch in o/s sill that is what is done

OK.
Without being nippy, do you really expect that a MOT failure done over a week ago will not require a retest? Firing on one new disc and hopefully pads and shoes is half a job and WILL fail on imbalance, whether you are employed or not. Sorry but do the job properly and don't faff around. Get the bus, lift or train till you can afford to do the job right and don't ask the MOT man to jeopardise his job, others safety or yours.

Having a ZT or 75 and trying to do the work on a shoestring is crazy in my mind, you've already been told of the rust on this car which you ignored now it's biting you in the posterior, sills and backplates so far...... what next when your starting a new job, I know for a fact you have asked for advice many time before on here and TBH you don't take it on board.

tourer 20th April 2017 19:58

Quote:

Hi,
You started a farm job last month.
Did it not work out?

humptynumpty 20th April 2017 20:16

No it didnt, and i was told its 10 days to retify faults, not many buses etc you can get in country to a job at 4am

Kennyeth 21st April 2017 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by humptynumpty (Post 2479948)
No it didn't, and i was told its 10 days to rectify faults, not many buses etc you can get in country to a job at 4am

I think you are "up that creek" why not approach your new boss and explain how keen you are to start work but tell him about your difficulty and see if he can offer any help.
You really do need a better repair shop than the one you have though.
Ken.

kc13661 21st April 2017 07:27

Got to say.... If it was me and I had someone else looking at the car that has basic capabilities, then the other disc would be done as well.

Never do only one side :duh::duh:

wullie480 21st April 2017 08:40

Quote:

Your cutting corners by only changing one side & yes they can fail it for only changing one side if there is an imbalance.

I'll hazard a guess that you have used the old pads & shoes as well? :shrug:

You may have been better buying a car with a valid MOT and getting the zt repaired when you had the funds to repair it properly.

If your going to ask for advice then please at least try to take it on board.

humptynumpty 21st April 2017 09:33

Both sides had new brake pads fitted and i have always in past changed discs at same time, i have never before not been able to gat caliper bolts off not even on other 3 r75s but couldnt this time, tester says if all fitted and working properly should be ok and imbalance is normally on front more but i do not intend to leave other disc long

humptynumpty 21st April 2017 12:27

Well MOT is passed but clutch isnt very good, wouldnt go in gear and stalling but master was full so i have cut condom to act as a sealing ring and put cap back on with pipe in it then put 2 caps of brake fluid down tube and it was coming out from seal on mc lid, but clutch now feels ok again but im going to get it done in next couple o months as an investment

wullie480 21st April 2017 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by humptynumpty (Post 2480192)
Well MOT is passed but clutch isnt very good, wouldnt go in gear and stalling but master was full so i have cut condom to act as a sealing ring and put cap back on with pipe in it then put 2 caps of brake fluid down tube and it was coming out from seal on mc lid, but clutch now feels ok again but im going to get it done in next couple o months as an investment

Sounds like more trouble ahead hopefully it lasts until you have the funds.