The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Diesel cooler return earth wire 🤔 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313015)

squire 19th May 2021 12:40

Diesel cooler return earth wire 🤔

Just behind the offside rear wheel sits the return diesel cooler. There appears to be an earth wire that should be attached to it approximately 6 inches long. Is this wire actually needed. Due to rusted brackets I would have to drill into the spare wheel well to get a good earth, which I'm reluctant to do.

Can I safely dispense with this earth wire?

Tia, Martyn.

macafee2 19th May 2021 13:41

I respectfully suggest it should be fitted

macafee2

75driver 19th May 2021 18:21

I’m pretty sure mine has parted company from whatever it was attached to on one of the cars.
I only noticed it when replacing rear arms last year.
Needless to say it was one of the jobs I’d intended to get round to but forgotten about.
I know it’s there for a reason, but nothing untoward has happened to me yet.🤞
Just sayin....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squire 19th May 2021 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75driver (Post 2882016)
I’m pretty sure mine has parted company from whatever it was attached to on one of the cars.
I only noticed it when replacing rear arms last year.
Needless to say it was one of the jobs I’d intended to get round to but forgotten about.
I know it’s there for a reason, but nothing untoward has happened to me yet.🤞
Just sayin....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbh I don't know how long mine has been like it. Only noticed it trying to put the low pads warning light out!

COLVERT 19th May 2021 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by squire (Post 2881965)
Just behind the offside rear wheel sits the return diesel cooler. There appears to be an earth wire that should be attached to it approximately 6 inches long. Is this wire actually needed. Due to rusted brackets I would have to drill into the spare wheel well to get a good earth, which I'm reluctant to do.

Can I safely dispense with this earth wire?

Tia, Martyn.

Probably has a good reason to be there.--:shrug: Wouldn't like to see you go up in a ball of flame.--:eek::eek::eek:

A hole in the wheel well will do no harm whatsoever.--I've had 3 holes in mine for over 13 years.--Don't need them now as I found out where the water was getting in and fixed it.---:D:D

Will take only a few minutes to fit an earth wire ----so, do it.---;););)

squire 19th May 2021 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2882023)
Probably has a good reason to be there.--:shrug: Wouldn't like to see you go up in a ball of flame.--:eek::eek::eek:

A hole in the wheel well will do no harm whatsoever.--I've had 3 holes in mine for over 13 years.--Don't need them now as I found out where the water was getting in and fixed it.---:D:D

Will take only a few minutes to fit an earth wire ----so, do it.---;););)

Thanks for the reply, I'm just hoping there's enough thread left where it screwed into the ally cooler lol. I might use the self tapping screw which hold the rear bumper to the body, it's quite convenient, if I don't like that it's a self tap in the spare wheel well. I doubt if a ball of flame would erupt though, diesel is not so flammable as petrol, however it'll be done once I've sorted brake pad warning light staying on, got to bridge the wires when the rain stops and the ground is dry to lie underneath the car.
It's having one hissy fit after another at the moment and I'm a bit more than fed up with it lol. :o:o:mad::mad:

trikey 19th May 2021 19:49

It should probably be attached, but the wire on my old diesel has been loose for 53000 miles (or 8 years) During my ownership and never caused a problem :duh:

COLVERT 19th May 2021 19:55

That brake pad light.---When you changed the pads did you replace the wear-away sensor ??--When I did mine I bridged the gap with a spot of solder to complete the circuit.---The sensor is an earth connection. When this connection is broken the ECU puts up a light on the dash to warn you of worn pads.

Sometimes, after a short time. the ECU detects the replaced sensor and switches off the dash light.---:D

squire 19th May 2021 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2882038)
That brake pad light.---When you changed the pads did you replace the wear-away sensor ??--When I did mine I bridged the gap with a spot of solder to complete the circuit.---The sensor is an earth connection. When this connection is broken the ECU puts up a light on the dash to warn you of worn pads.

Sometimes, after a short time. the ECU detects the replaced sensor and switches off the dash light.---:D

I changed rear pads, discs and handbrake shoes about a year ago, the sensor wires broke very close to where they come out of the plug, I had to cut some of the plug away to solder them together so it's here the problem might lie. If it's dry tomorrow I'll try and check it with a meter for continuity and maybe see if I can find a scrap yard with some 75's/ZT's in to see if can get some better ones with a bit more wire attached so I can solder the wires together better.
It's been fine until yesterday coming back from Wales, half way back the light came on :shrug:, I've had a quick look and unplugged it a couple of times but I may not have plugged it in far enough, will have to get the car up on axle stands.

squire 19th May 2021 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2882036)
It should probably be attached, but the wire on my old diesel has been loose for 53000 miles (or 8 years) During my ownership and never caused a problem :duh:

I wonder how many more are the same? Most of the support bracket for the cooler has rotted away, I think it's held up by the pipes more than anything:o, something else to sort out :shrug:. Btw Andy, have you got any spare brake pad sensors with a decent bit of wire? Want to make up a couple of bridging connectors.